Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I mentioned earlier, LG are making Mach-E cells at the moment. I don't want any EV fires, but should Mach-E customers be concerned? Hopefully different design/production facilities used. It could even be tolerances, wrong setup affecting only a few batches/runs/periods (assuming cells went to GM & Hyundai)

Kia / Hyundai fires suggest it's not a separator according to some (pinch of salt etc)

Mach-E cells are made in Poland, presumably to avoid import tariff with made in Mexico cars to EU

"Based on our global eVTOL/UAM model (a $9tn TAM by 2050), discounted back to the present on a per-share basis, we’re coming up with potential preliminary outcomes on the order of $100 per Tesla share on low-end to approximately $1,000 per Tesla share (or more) on the high end."
Mr $2 price target is opening his eyes.

Yes, Adam Jonas and Morgan Stanley have come a long way:

1626353954850.png

Why 7/23 vs. later?
It is a bit risky to hold short-term options over earnings release. There is usually a drop in IV post earnings and a sell-the-news dynamic. But who knows? We expect Tesla to beat analyst estimates and that could be just the spark we’ve needed for the next rally. Your mileage may vary.

This is from /r/WSB - and entirely correct.

View attachment 684710

Still nothing to be happy about - it increases the "EVs are fire hazards" myth.

In other news: the I4 configurator is live - we now know that driving a BMW electric vehicle in Switzerland costs you dearly. How much you ask? Well if you compare the i4 M50 to the Model 3 LR AWD Performance Boost, you could buy a second Model 3 SR+ with the money the BMW costs you more than the faster, quicker, lighter and more efficient Tesla...

02d34ccf39c6cdbebd43cba90651f8757d8bd1b5.png
I find it hilarious that this comparison only shows the i4 from the back. I personally don’t think the model 3 is a pretty car up front, but the i4 has a “face” only a mother could love.

33DA0786-2391-4B6C-835E-C4C81A64EDEE.jpeg

It is a bit risky to hold short-term options over earnings release. There is usually a drop in IV post earnings and a sell-the-news dynamic. But who knows? We expect Tesla to beat analyst estimates and that could be just the spark we’ve needed for the next rally. Your mileage may vary.
thats why i only play things like Bull-Put to capture IV going down instead of an iron condor or so.
I have a specially crafted broken wing ironfly in the wheel-thread for that .. where i still profit if we beat & break out, but more gain if there is "just" IV-Crush.

thats why i only play things like Bull-Put to capture IV going down instead of an iron condor or so.
I have a specially crafted broken wing ironfly in the wheel-thread for that .. where i still profit if we beat & break out, but more gain if there is "just" IV-Crush.
I have no idea what you just said....but I guess I like it?

As I mentioned earlier, LG are making Mach-E cells at the moment. I don't want any EV fires, but should Mach-E customers be concerned? Hopefully different design/production facilities used. It could even be tolerances, wrong setup affecting only a few batches/runs/periods (assuming cells went to GM & Hyundai)
It seems to be a more structural issue at LG than a specific facility/batch. (The GM Bolt cells were made in Korea while the Hyundai cells were made in China.)

It seems to be a more structural issue at LG than a specific facility/batch. (The GM Bolt cells were made in Korea while the Hyundai cells were made in China.)
I was under the impression the best guess was flaws in the Bolts battery management system that would have caused progressive damage over the life of the vehicle. But more importantly Im pretty sure at this point NOBODY knows, including LG and GM. Too early I think.

Ummm...Tesla sells the same number of cars they would have anyway?

My Cybertruck will effectively cost 10% less? I don't need the savings.

Prices for key battery raw materials doubles?

I would rather see the government subsidize charging infrastructure, both public and residential (including generation and distribution) with ALL the EV incentive money. With enough convenient fast charging and 50 amp charging circuits in every home and apartment parking space, people will buy more standard range models and be able to tow long-distances conveniently without huge battery packs. This will make the raw materials for batteries support more vehicles (displacing more ICE) and facilitate more renewable energy generation.

This battle of reducing transport pollution is more a matter of infrastructure development: cleaner generation, more flexible distribution and places to charge wherever you look. The vehicles will take care of themselves because they will be cheaper to own than inferior gas vehicles.

The effective price goes down or margins increase. Either of those are good things. Tesla won't be production constrained forever. Also consider the odds that more people will opt for FSD with a credit, which will save lives and speed up the progress of autonomy. Edit, it would also mean a higher mix of performance models. Tesla shareholders will be very happy to sell more of them vs dual motors for example.

If you are focusing on Tesla selling every car they make regardless, then how would infrastructure help that?

V3 Superchargers being upgraded to 300 KW for faster charging. One thing people who are not sold on EVs point to is charging time, and lowering that could really help demand.

No, on mars the air is too thin to support a manned air vehicle run on blade propulsion.

The EVs will be ground pounders and the flyers will be using rockets that burn gases.

Though I suppose the "space-x" cold gas thrusters would allow a mars EV to hop occasionally it wouldn't be an efficient use of battery, you'd have to save it for special cases. You'd either have to run a compressor for a long time to refill the thruster gas storage or you'd have to bring your reactant mass with you meaning you have a lot of dead weight when you aren't using it. Not efficient either way.

I'm not arguing against Tesla planes, just saying they won't be flying anything like that on mars.
OT but related comment
@dhanson865
not yet, not this century but not that far off, remember, one of goals is terraforming Mars, (you can fly!)
1626357803634.jpeg

I disagree that Ford is moving the fastest of all of them but my point was simply that Ford doesn't get my kudos simply because they are trying to survive. You are welcome to shower them with any awards you want but I don't think they deserve any.
I'm giving Ford zero credit myself. They decided that the way to market their EVs was to harass and troll Tesla owners on Twitter. They don't care about EVs at all, they are just desperately trying to stay solvent and relevant.

It's a classic example of some out of touch C-suite types deciding that they can get some street cred "on the Twitter" by starting arguments. Pissing off the world's largest group of EV owners by doing that is not wise marketing IMO.

V3 Superchargers being upgraded to 300 KW for faster charging. One thing people who are not sold on EVs point to is charging time, and lowering that could really help demand.

Raises some questions...
  • Which cars can use that? (only upgraded S/X? Limited by hardware or by software to differentiate from 3/Y)
  • Will the existing V3 SCs be upgraded (sounds like that to me) or is this just for newer SCs?

I do a fair amount of long distance driving and charging has little to no effect on me at this point. People who say its an issue are never going to be convinced they are wrong without first hand experience.

Lastly, I was often in Detroit when 08 blew up, we (as in my small partnership where I was lead partner) lost over 10 mil in contracts in 08/9 in Detroit. Don't rewrite history yourself. Ford would have loved for GM to fail, they were F'ing furious at the govt bailing GM out... Ford is also to be commended for that foresight, they saved US taxpayers billions and billions.
This is an excellent summary o events. I would add that GM blew up mostly because of their absurd dive in sub-prime mortgages. GMAC consultants recommended they "..make a small invement in mortgage services to GM dealers, employees, suppliers and customers". The basis for the recommendation is that they already had much of the risk for suppliers, dealers and employees so they could reduce credit risk and simplify processing administration. GMAC responded by buying Nationwide. The linked article covers ONLY the UK, and ONLY part of that:

The moral is to do what you know about, and don't imagine you can do all things to all people. Had GM stayed to it's competence they might have problems but much milder. GM chose finance people to lead the company, ones who knew very little about autos and trucks, even less about diesel engines and locomotives.

Ford at the time chose a conservative financial posture, even exiting some financial businesses. They were mostly unscathed.

For the record, statute for limitations long gone: I led the project for GMAC to which I referred. I did a similar project for Ford at about the same time. Neither was at all concerned that we were doing almost the same project for both. Ford was cautious. GM was brazen.

However this was a global disaster, driven by a large number fo industry leaders who were greedy and ignorant of risks, so adopted a long succession of indefensible moves, IN RETROSPECT! (sorry for screaming, but anybody who ever thinks that prosperity can long endure has ignored world history. Similar indefeasible moves led to the Weimar Republic and all that followed. They also led to the US apparent sudden disenchantment with [we all know].

As @nativewolf implies, superficiality leads to bad outcomes. FWIW, he and I disagree on much, but not on this.

This is relevant to TSLA quite specifically. When some of us dream that Tesla will grow endlessly at high levels to take over automotive and renewable energy, just remember that that will NOT happen. Others welcome along to take major share of markets. Tesla will not ever have a monopoly, but they can thrive with lots fo competition. Why: Elon Musk tries to deal with First Principles. Doing so allows Tesla to grow rapidly and mitigate many problems. That does not make Tesla invincible.

As so many have said, in Edmund Burke's words: "“Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.”

So long as Tesla, SpaceX. etc (i.e. Elon Musk) does not become arrogant major success will ensue. The day hubris appears disaster will soon follow.

We all need to be very careful lest we lose all that we have gained. We do need to understand history.

Ford is beta-testing V0.1 Overcharging in Norway:

"a salesperson based in Eidsdal confirmed that the incidents did involve Ford Mustang Mach-Es. “I have had six salvages of the same car model in 14 days,” he said. Since the vehicles were stopped, Rønneberg noted that the Mach-Es had to be transported using a tow truck. "​

Towed to the dealer: OTA updates, 1970s-style. :p

Cheers!

Raises some questions...
  • Which cars can use that? (only upgraded S/X? Limited by hardware or by software to differentiate from 3/Y)
  • Will the existing V3 SCs be upgraded (sounds like that to me) or is this just for newer SCs?

Probably similar to how old S/Xs dealt when the V3s came out. Some will upgrade to 300 if built after a certain date, some will be left to old rates, and some will probably have a new 275 cap. I doubt they are going to limit to S/X if the 3/Y have the hardware to accept it. Right now, Tesla has the incentive to get cars off the chargers as quickly as possible. Best selling vehicles are the 3/Y, so they are going to have the largest impact on the Supercharger Network. The faster they can throughput the vehicles in general will mean less Superchargers are needed.

IIRC there have been a few different tech specs on V3s reported on the cabinets. Probably ties in with those differences.

IMO 250kw is about perfect for my 3. 300 will probably be perfect. 7-10 minutes at most and back on the road. Now on a CT... I'm thinking 350 will be closer to that sweet spot when not towing.

Ford is beta-testing V0.1 Overcharging in Norway:

"a salesperson based in Eidsdal confirmed that the incidents did involve Ford Mustang Mach-Es. “I have had six salvages of the same car model in 14 days,” he said. Since the vehicles were stopped, Rønneberg noted that the Mach-Es had to be transported using a tow truck. "​

Towed to the dealer: OTA updates, 1970s-style. :p

Cheers!

Time to marry Ford and Nikola technologies. - Trevor and Levine :)
One goes downhill, one can't go downhill - the ying and the yang ;)