Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to note, Biden reiterated how the new EV tax credit would work. Tesla would qualify for 10k of the possible 12k. Tesla could fight that stipulation but.......this would still benefit Tesla. Right now Tesla faces a $7,500 disadvantage.........now they would only face a $2,500 disadvantage.

And to the consumer, a $2,500 difference between a Tesla and any non Tesla is pretty non material. Tesla's superior....well everything, compared to the competition won't make consumers think twice about that $2,500 difference.

Edit: MP3Mike pointed out something that is actually pretty interesting. The Ford Mach-E, the GM built EV that's being produced in Mexico, and anyone else with plans of making their EV's in China or Mexico will actually be put in a really tough situation because they'll be at a disadvantage to Tesla now.

The Mach E since it's not built in America and not by a American Union thus only qualifies for $7,500.
I’d argue that the UAW costs a manufacturer far MORE than the $2,500 that they’ll save…

I’m really stuck on the third. How does the US taxpayer OR EV buyer benefit more from a union made EV?

The US taxpayer benefits on the presumption that the union worker is a US worker, rather than a foreign, non-union, one.

We have all kinds of stuff in the tax code intended to favor certain types of behavior (having or not having kids, owning or not owning a home, hiring or not hiring vets, etc)- this is the same line of thinking.

I suggest that they call it the "Not A Union, Union".

Playing this up and turning it into a joke is good marketing.

Being seen as a rebel at war with the current government appeals to some car buyers.

Run up the joke union and there is a good chance Tesla can get 100% of the incentives, free marketing, more appeal to right wing voters and left wing voters who feel they are unfairly bring snubbed.

If it comes down to a highly contested count case on whether "Not A Union" is really a union with Elon posting comments on Twitter about the UAW, even better.

Often a perceived problem is really an opportunity.

It's literally illegal for a company to form or support a union and has been since 1935. It must be entirely independently formed by, and only supported by, labor- not the company or management in any way.

This is wrong information. The ID3 YTD sales already doubled the numbers from 2020.

VAG continues to increase MEB platform vehicles every month. Last quarter VAG global sales went up 85% QoQ and 259% YoY

View attachment 692626

In 2020 Volkswagen sold 56,500 ID3's. You chart shows ID3 sales of about 21,000 in the first half of this year. So your statement that ID3 sales have doubled compared to 2020 is not supported by the numbers. There have also been some sales outside of the countries shown in the chart, like China, but those have been meager and don't change the story that the ID3 is not a very succesful car.

The total sales of cars based on the MEB platform is ofcourse a different story.

EDIT: I see you have now changed your post and removed the statement about the ID3.

Last edited:
I suggest that they call it the "Not A Union, Union".

Playing this up and turning it into a joke is good marketing.

Being seen as a rebel at war with the current government appeals to some car buyers.

Run up the joke union and there is a good chance Tesla can get 100% of the incentives, free marketing, more appeal to right wing voters and left wing voters who feel they are unfairly bring snubbed.

If it comes down to a highly contested count case on whether "Not A Union" is really a union with Elon posting comments on Twitter about the UAW, even better.
If the workers create, and join, the NAU, that would protect them, and Tesla, from the UAW trying to come in and take over right? So it could be a good thing.

Tesla couldn't start/run the union, but the workers could create a lightweight union that supports their needs.

Gotta disagree with you on one point. I owned a Chevy Volt for years. Hardly ever used gas at all. I think most owners used it that way whenever possible.

Dan
Might differ from country to country. In Germany where most newer cars are company cars, these cars frequently get returned with the charging cable never touched and still in its original shrinkwrap. Also many companies hand out fuel cards to their employees so the employees don't pay for fuel themselves. That definiely also has an impact

Largely true. However, I suspect the "Big 3" told the president that the UAW needs to be pulled onboard to keep the legacy automakers' EV ship afloat.
Something like that. Certainly Biden with his priors would have never done the event with just CEOs, the union had to be present and potentially cooperative, so they had to hammer together some vaguely agreeable plan everybody could publicly smile about. And probably privately laugh about. Otoh, when was the last time we saw a bunch of CEOs and a major union on the same podium announcing anything, much less something close to sensible? Rare.

2030....how nice. The kick the can down the rd mentality is in full display.
The thing is that rd will either be underwater or on fire in many parts of the world by then.

But yeah lets wait another 9 years to start the change over.
Well I don't think that flipping the switch to 50% in 2030 is what is intended... everyone knows it's going to take some time to get there. But with our OEM's, it would be wise to set interim goals to just track progress towards the 2030 goal... I mean we can't all be Norwegians (even if some of us are half Norwegian ;-)_

Last edited:
Reactions: CHGolferJim
Something like that. Certainly Biden with his priors would have never done the event with just CEOs, the union had to be present and potentially cooperative, so they had to hammer together some vaguely agreeable plan everybody could publicly smile about. And probably privately laugh about. Otoh, when was the last time we saw a bunch of CEOs and a major union on the same podium announcing anything, much less something close to sensible? Rare.
So, what you're saying is that when backed into a corner by a superior predator, rats that are usually fighting one another will team up to fight together?

Got it. ;) 😁

A gain of only a little more than the previous two sessions, nevertheless a seventh successive up day for TSLA. At the start of that span, it pushed above its 200-day SMA (simple moving average) and has remained there ever since. This continues to be encouraging.
Was that the lowest volume in a year or more?
This feels very bullish when you combine these two observations.

All day, I kept waiting for the walk down <$710 today given the dearth of trading volume.

Having the big three legacy automakers go electric is all good. If tesla gets shade, it doesn't affect their production or demand. The auto market is huge, and tesla is 5 to ten years ahead in development. Better to have tesla as the iphone of the market, because that makes tesla more profitable.
I do think that we need some pictures of the Secretary of Transportation driving his Tesla though! What a great thing to show the American people! Maybe even a great writeup about it in Clean Technica!

Should open in 2023. Tesla has the $ to get the new factory started almost immediately. I imagine they will have space in Texas although I still say build a factory in the rust belt like Michigan.

Oh also so what is the next GM electric car after the Bolt and when? Is it the lowwwwwwww volume Hummer?
I'm sure they'll be announcing an electric C1500 pickup very soon, along with an electric version of their "awesome" tailgate. They're going to need competition for the Cybertruck!