Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are already building robots with wheels, the humanoid version is a logical extension to leverage that technology.

That's true, but just because they can do it, doesn't mean they should. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with "Tesla's mission is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy"

That's true, but just because they can do it, doesn't mean they should. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with "Tesla's mission is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy"
Elon has repeatedly talked about freeing humans from doing menial work. It might not be spelled out in Teslas mission but it is in Elons.

I thought he said HW4 would first appear likely on Cybetruck, in about a year or so. Not that Cybertruck wouldn't start production for another year.

I suspect the first Cybers will have HW3, then HW4 when HW4 is ready.
I think he said it would first appear with the Cybertruck…might imply they both first appear at the same time…or not…

Reactions: S3XY and Tyler34
my thoughts for what it is worth
• The self driving portion was the best. The level and quality of simulation is impressive
• Dojo has amazing specs, but it isn't as far along as I thought it was
• The dancing "robot" was terrible and I can't believe anyone thought it was a good idea to do that
• I don't get the point of Tesla Bot and how that furthers the mission of sustainable energy and transportation
the bot is marketing MSM will fall all over themselves about the "dancing robot" ... it will keep people talking about Tesla ....in a neutral way... not in line with current mission statement
Huh? It's a talk largely about autonomous driving. You're surprised that crashes came up?
not surprised... just feels like this is his new "manufacturing is hard" .... repetition ... the MSM dirtbags will take his crash statements out of context and use against him...i guess in the big picture it does not matter ... but why give them soundbites they can create more FUD with ....

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
You could argue that FSD isn't aligned with the mission either. But FSD is a technology that, aside from just generally being good for society, helps generate more money for Tesla, which helps them achieve their mission.

And since they developed the infrastructure for FSD, might as well leverage it for other things that can do good and make the company a lot more money, so they can use that money to further their mission.

Repetitive jobs that humans don't want to do, sounds like some production line work to me.

Ashok showing the video of their simulator is astonishingly realistic. Like jaw dropping I thought it was a real life video. Wow.

"See that Cybertruck?" Mind blown.

Yeah, as shockingly good as GPT-3, it is ONLY a text based AI system. This thing is, borrowing Elon's fav term, xxx orders of magnitude more complex AND more capable.

This simulation gives me a vivid representation of one scene described in Max Tegmark's Human 3.0:

The Omega Team of the first company in the world which achieved Artificial General Intelligence started to look for ways to conquer the world through their AGI and one benign way to start is entertainment, here's an excerpt of the book:

The Omegas had narrowed their search to products that were highly valuable, purely digital (avoiding slow manufacturing) and easily understandable (for
example, text or movies they knew wouldn’t pose a breakout risk). In the end, they had decided to launch a media company, starting with animated
entertainment.
During the first two weeks of Prometheus (their AGI system), its moviemaking skills improved rapidly, in terms not only of film quality but also of better algorithms
for character simulation and ray tracing, which greatly reduced the cloudcomputing cost to make each new episode. As a result, the Omegas were able to
roll out dozens of new series during the first month, targeting demographics from toddlers to adults, as well as to expand to all major world language
markets, making their site remarkably international compared with all competitors.

This is both scary and fascinating and it's never felt so real and so close.

the bot is marketing MSM will fall all over themselves about the "dancing robot" ... it will keep people talking about Tesla ....in a neutral way... not in line with current mission statement

not surprised... just feels like this is his new "manufacturing is hard" .... repetition ... the MSM dirtbags will take his crash statements out of context and use against him...i guess in the big picture it does not matter ... but why give them soundbites they can create more FUD with ....
I understand what you're saying, but ESPECIALLY after seeing tonight's presentation, none of that matters unless you're a short-term investor. This was Tesla flexing its muscle, basically showing that they are on the cutting edge. Waymo does great most of the time in a rectangular grid in a premapped city. But nobody comes close to the general driving AI that Tesla is developing.

Short term, they'll continue to FUD it up. Nothing will stop that. But when Tesla comes out with true fully autonomous driving many years ahead of the closest competitor, they'll get the last laugh. Or maybe I will, after my investments have gone up another order of magnitude or two.

I don't get the point of Tesla Bot and how that furthers the mission of sustainable energy and transportation
Maybe the bot can help build cars or install solar roofs....

The purpose of the event (and the bot short term) is to attract and retain talent..

My only concern is the humanoid form might worry people and may be controversial.. That is why I preferred a dog form, the psychology is different even when the outcome is almost identical.

One of the possible applications was "last foot deliveries", I can see a human form might be better than a dog for delivering parcels...

But for fetching the newspaper .... we want the dog :)