Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You do raise reasonable points. My position on her is based almost entirely on her scientific, technological and experience base. She does tend to disdain loudly opinionated other people and she does so in a flamboyant way. OTOH, she regularly praises SpaceX accomplishments and those fo Tesla also.

In my personal view she really has problems with overbearing and opinionated rich white guys. Thus she simultaneously tends to applaud Tesla while at the same time having strong disagreement with overpromising and underdelivering, specifically doing that with FSD and Autopilot.

Those objections are often spoken here by many of us, not on Twitter, as a rule and certainly not with obnoxious visual aids and quippy snarky statements.

So no question I don't think much of her quips. OTOH, I'm no fan of Elon's either. In both cases I find it appropriate to ignore them, because they are emotional outbursts that harm the overall message.

After that I look at her academic and career progression. Any intelligent person who flew F-18's (I have met a few, not a lot) probably is acutely aware of how dangerous automated systems can be if not thoroughly tested and controlled. The Boeing 787 and 737Max events certainly played a role also.

I am confident that the emotional reactions she displays do fit certain political agendas. Her technical expertise and experience also makes her respect the accomplishments. That is why I am less dismayed than are some of us. That is also why expect her to be pragmatic in fact, so probably a net positive influence on the overall trend towards more automation.

Tesla will benefit in a longer term from increased scrutiny and greater release discipline. Safety scores already seem to be having a positive effect. As a Plaid owner myself, I really wish there were type ratings for them! If she helps advance better discipline I support it.
I appreciate that there may be a component of her objection(s) rooted in her technical experience. However that experience is:

1) In the past

2) Based on different technology

3) Lacks any direct insight in the underpinnings of Tesla's solution

Therefore, if she is going to be a governmental appointee with some influence (regulatory or otherwise), she needs to maintain some objectivity about her her deficiencies in her understanding.

However, I see some significant evidence for lack of objectivity:

1) Decision to block folks on twitter based on a TSLAQ block list. That's not a way to hear dissenting views that may inform

2) Classification of any technology based on the race of the person developing it

3) Decision to not answer questions directly relating to her claims of publishing "peer reviewed" papers when there seems to be no record of such in the DOI

4) Significant conflict of interest in benefitting financially from hardware manufactures of equipment used (other than by Tesla) for autonomous driving

5) Previous financial compensation from aunt manufacturers competing with Tesla

So, can she get on the twitterverse and blare opinions on regarding technology with "white men" behind it, and make references to wishing she could assault them like an other idiot out there? Yes. And all the while silencing potential critics and ignoring scrutiny of impropriety in publishing? Yup. It's a free country.

Does that give evidence of her objectivity as person with potential governmental influence in the arena? Not in my book... no matter what other legitimate (if distant) experience she has.

Last edited:
Good questions honestly.
Other than the FSD transferability one, which has been asked and answered already. (Multiple times I think.)

Here is the quickest one I could find: Say

1634748739570.png

Lol....yes, old white dudes are getting disproportionately furious over this one.

It's regulation folks. No big deal. Someone of literally no significance or regulatory power is looking critically at Tesla's FSD. It's gonna be ok.

I get the feeling if this were a man the response would be more muted.
Way to marginalize what may be a valid criticism by interjecting age, race, and gender.

And your opinion of the objections raised by women about the issue?

Elon already answered this one during the 2021 AGM. Did you miss it? Here's a link to a transcript:

"we might start scouting for locations next year, but I think we can do a lot with Berlin and Austin, and expanding in China, so – and expanding Fremont...

"So I don’t know, we will probably get to new factory locations, start to investigate them next year. Maybe make a decision in ‘23."​
Maybe battery terafactory at Gwadar, deep sea port and terminus for Chinese Pakistani Economic corridor-- would be close to India for battery supply for local cars and battery backup-- huge need for solar and battery backup in cities, at least ofwhat i know of in the Pakistani cities.

Last edited:
No matter how much wealth Tesla brought me, it is still the most PIA stock in my portfolio. Stock goes up 6 days straight, that's great..after dealing with 6 months worth of straight FUD.....

I've actually realized this as well. It does take a bit of mental effort to be a Tesla or TSLA fan. It's nearly impossible to completely disconnect from all the FUD and haters.

Other than the FSD transferability one, which has been asked and answered already. (Multiple times I think.)

Here is the quickest one I could find: Say

View attachment 723665
This says to me that Tesla gives higher trade in value to a FSD equipped car then a non FSD equipped car. Thats good. Any truth to the claim that if I sell to another person or trade in at a non Tesla dealer then Tesla removes FSD from the car when people setup the car to their Tesla account?

Any truth to the claim that if I sell to another person or trade in at a non Tesla dealer then Tesla removes FSD from the car when people setup the car to their Tesla account?
Nope.

Tesla only removes FSD from cars they own, mainly ones they sell at auction. The problem is that the flag doesn't always get turned off in the car until an ownership change, with Tesla, takes place, and third-party dealers never take ownership via Tesla like they should.

"we might start scouting for locations next year, but I think we can do a lot with Berlin and Austin, and expanding in China, so – and expanding Fremont...
"So I don’t know, we will probably get to new factory locations, start to investigate them next year. Maybe make a decision in ‘23.
"

I certainly have not been paying attention.
Tesla spent $3.2b in Capex in 2020 and will spend about $6.4b this year. I was projecting $9b for 2022 but if they are not breaking new ground and only completing and expanding existing sites, is it possible for capex in 2022 to be flat at $6.4b?

You might be surprised the stupidity that happens in commercial cockpits on a regular basis! The FAA regulates the hardware and pilot behavior.
True this ^^^
My close friend from college is a retired Air Traffic Controller. The stories he told me of stupidity by pilots in the air, including several while he was riding in the cockpit. Especially the one about the pilot landing the plane in an icy storm but could not see out his front window. Co-pilot could see, but was tasked with navigation and not allowed to take over flight. All stemming from one single crash where everyone was focused on the faulty instrumentation and nobody was flying the plane. I'm sure I'm missing details here, but this military style approach is old-school IMO, not statistically driven. It was the Air-force who chose to punish pilots for bad flight performance (vs reward good) because of bad math (there's a word for this error).

I appreciate that there may be a component of her objection(s) rooted in her technical experience. However that experience is:

1) In the past

2) Based on different technology

3) Lacks any direct insight in the underpinnings of Tesla's solution

Therefore, if she is going to be a governmental appointee with some influence (regulatory or otherwise), she needs to maintain some objectivity about her her deficiencies in her understanding.

However, I see some significant evidence for lack of objectivity:

1) Decision to block folks on twitter based on a TSLAQ block list. That's not a way to hear dissenting views that may inform

2) Classification of any technology based on the race of the person developing it

3) Decision to not answer questions directly relating to her claims of publishing "peer reviewed" papers when there seems to be no record of such in the DOI

4) Significant conflict of interest in benefitting financially from hardware manufactures of equipment used (other than by Tesla) for autonomous driving

5) Previous financial compensation from aunt manufacturers competing with Tesla

So, can she get on the twitterverse and blare opinions on regarding technology with "white men" behind it, and make references to wishing she could assault them like an other idiot out there? Yes. And all the while silencing potential critics and ignoring scrutiny of impropriety in publishing? Yup. It's a free country.

Does that give evidence of her objectivity as person with potential governmental influence in the arena? Not in my book... no matter what other legitimate (if distant) experience she has.
Pardon the adjustment.

Evidence of objectivity would be a disqualifier.

The tweets, as they are, were the first qualifier. If you have interviewed for a job lately, social media presence is a part of your resume. They ask for Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and sometimes Instagram. If you are not good on these platforms, you are out.

A point many, but not all, are missing is that this twitter profile is exemplary of what is required to be employed in a position of power in the government today.

Evidence of objectivity would be a disqualifier.

How does this tie to Tesla?

... when I get pulled over, my view is that the officer is rightly scared, as what they are doing is dangerous. And if they aren't scared they are looking for an excuse to shoot you.

Don't give them the excuse. Hands on the wheel. Driver's license on the dashboard.

Elon is asking for the provide no excuses behavior with the driver score roll out. Except for that Gerber guy.

There should never be a Tesla wreck again, ever, for any reason.

True this ^^^
My close friend from college is a retired Air Traffic Controller. The stories he told me of stupidity by pilots in the air, including several while he was riding in the cockpit. Especially the one about the pilot landing the plane in an icy storm but could not see out his front window. Co-pilot could see, but was tasked with navigation and not allowed to take over flight. All stemming from one single crash where everyone was focused on the faulty instrumentation and nobody was flying the plane. I'm sure I'm missing details here, but this military style approach is old-school IMO, not statistically driven. It was the Air-force who chose to punish pilots for bad flight performance (vs reward good) because of bad math (there's a word for this error).
Sorry your ATC friends story has massive holes in it. As a professional Pilot for over thirty years, yes there have been accidents and yes Pilots have done stupid crap but the numbers don’t lie. Air travel is extremely safe and since CRM was trained there are countless times when the flying pilot hands over control to the non flying pilot. It’s trained and part of normal flying. I won’t be to harsh on your ATC friend if he admits to the stupid crap controllers do all the time 😁

I wonder what the number needs to be to overcome the "sell the news" gravitational pull. I'm guessing anything above $2 EPS will achieve escape velocity.
I think any forward guidance will be what will move the stock. News on 4680, Texas and Berlin or any logistic and supply issues is what institutions are looking forward during the call.

A beat on earnings doesn't guarantee the the stock will price will go up. It's always the same for all tech and growth companies. AAPL can announce earnings 100% above estimates, but if they suggest a slight supply issue the stock will dump.

I think any forward guidance will be what will move the stock. News on 4680, Texas and Berlin or any logistic and supply issues is what institutions are looking forward during the call.

A beat on earnings doesn't guarantee the the stock will price will go up. It's always the same for all tech and growth companies. AAPL can announce earnings 100% above estimates, but if they suggest a slight supply issue the stock will dump.

I don't fully agree - it depends on what causes the beat. Evidence of better-than-expected margins, for instance, would cause investors to revise estimates of future earnings upward. But I agree with you in principle - it's the forward-looking side of things that drives the price.