Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm voting Republican!?
3fk66r1ko4711.jpg

I don’t actually think additional training solves the human stupidity condition.

How is taking a special driving course going to change the behavior of the person I saw yesterday pull halfway out of their parking spot in front me, play on their cellphone, they never saw me, then a few minutes later pass me on the road still texting away on their cellphone? Heck, maybe they’re a better driver than me since they got where they were going in one piece while breaking the law?

You know what changes their behavior? Driving their vehicle into the back of an 18 wheeler and having their face rearranged.
Good point until the last two sentences. Still training has been proven to save lives in many respects. Not because stupid goes away, but because people sometimes will be more aware fo their own stupidity. No solution will ever work 100%.

. My insurance company does not want to cover it since it is only a software addon. . . . . unless I file a civil case with the person that hit me
Another option is to read your insurance policy closely and assess the basis for their denial of the value of FSD and accel boost, probably under the “modification” exception. You may find that the modification exclusion/exception refers to aftermarket parts, but your essentially OEM options are not properly excluded from coverage — especially if you disclosed them to the insurnance company.

"It should be noted that Dr. Cummings’ seat at Veoneer was not disclosed when she published a paper (which was later updated to remove inaccurate details about a fatal Tesla crash) criticizing systems such as Autopilot for their possible dangers. And so far, the incoming NHTSA senior safety adviser has not shared if she would be leaving her post at the Swedish LIDAR company, especially since she would soon be advising a US safety agency on driver-assist systems that adopt both LIDAR and non-LIDAR solutions.​
"Interestingly enough, Dr. Cummings’ criticism of Tesla and its Autopilot and FSD programs seems to stem from the fact that the company’s vehicles lack of equipment such as the LIDAR sensors provided by Veoneer. In an appearance at The Robot Brains Podcast earlier this year, the Duke University professor remarked that she is “basically an albatross around Elon’s and Tesla’s neck” and that “Where (she’s) going after is his (Elon Musk’s) desire to drop radar off of his cars and now go to vision-only.”​

Problematic appointment for NHTSA at a time when they are struggling for relevance in a Market increasingly driven by pace of innovation.

I do still believe that Tesla should require all people that are accepted into the Beta to watch a safety video and then answer questions related to the video. Simply reading a disclaimer and checking boxes is to easy for people to skip over. Yeah it may say hey checking the box means you are responsible, but we should want more then just CYA. We want success.

If you want to guarantee success it is necessary to prevent people who are naturally good test takers from gaming the system and answering the questions successfully without actually watching the FSD safety video. I suggest something like this to ensure they actually watched the safety video:

Because we know if they watch a safety video they will stay alert and attentive at all times. /s

Seriously though, we give people driver's licenses without requiring they watch safety videos about how important it is to pay attention at all times. Some people think it's actually OK to surf the Internet or reply to texts while driving down the freeway! A video is not gonna fix stupid!

"It should be noted that Dr. Cummings’ seat at Veoneer was not disclosed when she published a paper (which was later updated to remove inaccurate details about a fatal Tesla crash) criticizing systems such as Autopilot for their possible dangers. And so far, the incoming NHTSA senior safety adviser has not shared if she would be leaving her post at the Swedish LIDAR company, especially since she would soon be advising a US safety agency on driver-assist systems that adopt both LIDAR and non-LIDAR solutions.​
"Interestingly enough, Dr. Cummings’ criticism of Tesla and its Autopilot and FSD programs seems to stem from the fact that the company’s vehicles lack of equipment such as the LIDAR sensors provided by Veoneer. In an appearance at The Robot Brains Podcast earlier this year, the Duke University professor remarked that she is “basically an albatross around Elon’s and Tesla’s neck” and that “Where (she’s) going after is his (Elon Musk’s) desire to drop radar off of his cars and now go to vision-only.”​

Problematic appointment for NHTSA at a time when they are struggling for relevance in a Market increasingly driven by pace of innovation.
I have two computer science degrees and I've taught at the university level. It is my opinion that she should lose her position at the university for this, but that is unlikely to happen. I also question her computer science knowledge if she is investing in LIDAR as a path towards autonomy. I have very little experience in computer vision but it was enough for me to instantly agree with Elon's views on vision and LIDAR.

I am disappointed to see people defending her.

India is a relatively poor country, honestly (I backpacked there 5 months in 2014), so I don't think reducing tax on import vehicles would be in Indians overall interest.

Instead, Elon should be pushing for India to facilitate Tesla building a local factory and selling its EVs without those high import duties. It's a huge market, especially once Tesla releases its lower-cost model (and it could seriously dent GHG emissions from millions of auto-rikshaws if Tesla developed a ATV/Tuk-tuk! see below).

A local factory would provide India with valuable high tech jobs and support local suppliers. Otherwise, I think reducing the import tax is a simply recipe for enabling scarse Indian capital to leave the country. Until that happens, Tesla should take the hit while building out a sales network.

C'mon Elon, "do the right thing".

tesla-cyber-tuktuk-main.jpg
Put another way, how would this look?

TSLAQ media: "Elon Musk - world's richest man - asks for a discount to sell his expensive EVs in one of the world's poorest economies."

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that would be the headline we'd cringe to hear.

Reactions: wtlloyd
Another option is to read your insurance policy closely and assess the basis for their denial of the value of FSD and accel boost, probably under the “modification” exception. You may find that the modification exclusion/exception refers to aftermarket parts, but your essentially OEM options are not properly excluded from coverage — especially if you disclosed them to the insurnance company.

Sorry for the OT this will be it for me:

That is my back and forth with them right now. Their "Customizations" portion of the policy is for physical hardware from third-parties and not OEM options, and certainly not software ones. They have a defined pick list of what type of customization and software is not one of them. I have also noted the the MYP is mostly software enhancements and that they cover that above the base value of a standard MY Dual Motor. We will see how it goes.

I have two computer science degrees and I've taught at the university level. It is my opinion that she should lose her position at the university for this, but that is unlikely to happen. I also question her computer science knowledge if she is investing in LIDAR as a path towards autonomy. I have very little experience in computer vision but it was enough for me to instantly agree with Elon's views on vision and LIDAR.

I am disappointed to see people defending her.

I can think of many people who have faced professional consequences for far less. At the same time, there are also those who have done far worse and faced none. What happens from here will provide further evidence of how entrenched the administration is in its apparent anti-Tesla stance (hypothesis: very) and whether the NHTSA position is largely being filled for the purposes of slowing Tesla (hypothesis: duh). The reality is there are probably very few candidates that can offer both her qualifications and her passionate anti-Tesla bias.

Good point until the last two sentences. Still training has been proven to save lives in many respects. Not because stupid goes away, but because people sometimes will be more aware fo their own stupidity. No solution will ever work 100%.
😆

Way more faith in people, than I. And specifically people often need to experience extreme consequences to change their views.

Here’s a little story for you; my spouse and I had to take the driver’s test because we’d moved to a different country. We took it on the same day, had the same tester. I performed a particular maneuver and got docked for it. My spouse performed the exact same maneuver and wasn’t docked for it. We know this for a fact because we compared notes and our test results.

Adding: the tester was a couple decades younger than us and I’m quite sure we both have extensively more driving experience and could drive circles around them (and I’m a substantially better driver than my spouse).

Could be completely wrong, but being first is the reason I am going to go ahead and share...

Looking at it it seems to be computer generated...I'd like to know the rest of the STORY.
ADDING: this description is from the kilowatts on twitter>>>"
There’s a new video loop playing in Tesla Stores and Service centers! The new video includes shots of the upcoming Cybertruck in NY and at Giga Texas (with
@elonmusk
behind the wheel!?!), Tesla Semi prototypes and even
@MinimalDuck
working on
@ScentWedge
with a Model Y!"

Last edited: