Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm starting to get antsy about having these covered call hedges. Had intended to close them out by next Friday at the latest, but that's starting to feel risky.

I actually sold some covered calls (once I figured out how to do it without screwing up my holding period) but I won't sell strikes $400 or lower, or anything after February 1, for fear of getting assigned.

I feel very ignorant asking this, but wouldn't these contracts exist only if they were sold by one party and bought by another?
Yes, but it turns out that (unlike stocks) the market makers are willing to take unbalanced positions. In stocks, market makers try to zero out their inventory as much as possible. In options, they don't. They hedge their unbalanced options positions by buying or selling stock. So one side of the trade may be a market maker with no opinion on the stock.

That's what I call a smart question, BTW. :)

These are really useful. Thx !

BTW, do analysts tend to update these nearer to the earnings release ? May be some kind of herding ?
The good analysts at least will always update their models for the companies they cover after earnings.

They will sometimes update their models after significant news or periodically through the quarter. The bigger the company, the more likely this is. So for Tesla, it looks like most have given an update at least since December.

Here's the breakdown:

Last updated this month: BofAML, Deutsche, Elazar, JMP, JPMorgan, Macquarie, Needham, RBC, and 3 of the "Undisclosed"
Last updated in December: Goldman Sachs, Wedbush, Wolfe Research
Last updated in November: Roth, UBS
Last updated in October (i.e. the lazy analysts): Canaccord, Evercore, Oppenheimer, Piper, and the last "Undisclosed"

Obviously the estimates made in October I would give less importance to, especially with a company like Tesla where there is usually some kind significant news every month.

Last updated this month: BofAML, Deutsche, Elazar, JMP, JPMorgan, Macquarie, Needham, RBC, and 3 of the "Undisclosed"
Last updated in December: Goldman Sachs, Wedbush, Wolfe Research
Last updated in November: Roth, UBS
Last updated in October (i.e. the lazy analysts): Canaccord, Evercore, Oppenheimer, Piper, and the last "Undisclosed"

Obviously the estimates made in October I would give less importance to, especially with a company like Tesla where there is usually some kind significant news every month.
That's very interesting. So, only those who updated this month have actually taken the published P&D numbers - others have assumed some numbers. BTW, Oppenheimer who has't updated since October, comes closest to the EPS estimated by @luvb2b .

Ofcourse since its only the 10th, may be some others will update in the next 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Remster32
That's a good digg, thanks for that. I actually already did have that link bookmarked to Elon's Tweeter feed:

"I’m dying to make a pickup truck so bad … we might have a prototype to unveil next year"

5:50 AM - 11 Dec 2018
So "might have" is NOT a promise or a deadline. It's barely an aspirational goal. Boomberg is groping for future "misses" to gloat about, when no such promise exists.

The Recode.net interview from Nov 5, 2018 was much more informative on the 'pickup' project. Here's a transcript of that portion of the conversation:

Elon Musk:

Then we’ve got the pickup truck, which — actually, I’m personally most excited about the pickup truck.

Why’s that?

Well I can’t talk about the details, but it’s gonna be like a really futuristic-like cyberpunk, “Blade Runner” pickup truck. It’s gonna be awesome, it’s gonna be amazing. This will be heart-stopping. It stops my heart. It’s like, oh, it’s great.

Who do you wanna sell that to? People that buy F— whatever?

You know, I actually don’t know if a lot of people will buy this pickup truck or not, but I don’t care.

Okay.

I mean I do care, eventually, you know. Like sure, I care. We wanna get gasoline, diesel pickup trucks off the road.

Right.

It’s something I’ve been wanting to make for a long time. If there’s only a small number of people that like that truck, I guess we’ll make a more conventional truck in the future. But it’s the thing that I am personally most fired up about.​

So that won't fit it a tweet right, but Elon said "maybe" and that appears to reach Boomberg's minimum standards for informational reporting wrt deadlines. No evidence that Boomberg attempted to contact Tesla to confirm their reporting though.

I repeat my opinion: Boomberg is dishonest, unethical, and should be consumed in very tiny doses to avoid toxicity effects. Or as the CDC might say, there is no safe dose.

Cheers!

It would be MUCH easier to just say you were wrong on this one. Here's the words you used in your post:

"but he didn't say anything about a reveal date. Certainly not 2019."

But, he did say something about a reveal date - and he certainly DID say 2019 (next year when it is 2018).

Granted, your point is correct (and I think everyone agrees on that), but you can't say that he has never mentioned a reveal date for the truck, then turn around and say, "well, he did mention it, but he said maybe." Buckminister was only pointing out that while you are right that Bloomberg will call it another missed commitment, Musk DID indeed mention the reveal date.

That's very interesting. So, only those who updated this month have actually taken the published P&D numbers - others have assumed some numbers. BTW, Oppenheimer who haven't updated since October, comes closest to the EPS estimated by @luvb2b .

Ofcourse since its only the 10th, may be some others will update in the next 2 weeks.
That’s correct! I would assume all of the updated this month were to rework their models to account for the actual production models.

There's two version of history about that event. One from the Chinese gov and one from the Japanese gov. Dramatically different. I have friends in both culture, so my conclusions after speaking to both is that they were both brainwashed and willingly avoid digging deeper into it.

Reading the recounts from foreign priests should be more accurate.

Business wise, they will answer with something their higher ups taught them that will be vanilla for business.

In reality, in my many years of living in Canada, the melting pot of culture, I've never seen a Chinese and a Japanese become friends. Even amongst the young.

There might be exceptions out there somewhere.
I have a Chinese friend who has Japanese friends. Usually once a year they (him and his parents) go back to visit friends and family both in Hong Kong and mainland China, and they usually swing by Japan as well for tourism and to visit friends there. We might just barely be considered "millennials" depending on who you ask but his parents are definitely from an older generation. IIRC they got here from HK via Guam then Canada, naturalized in Canada, then moved to the US and naturalized here. I have no doubt there's plenty of racism to go around in general, but not all Chinese hate all Japanese and vice-versa. If it were only himself that displayed no racism towards Japan then you might argue it was a shared love of car culture that bridged the international gap, but his parents aren't racists either.

Reactions: dc_h
I think including the Tesla Pickup unveil in 2019 is presumptuous. Elon said the pickup is a priority, and that its the project he's most excited about, but he didn't say anything about a reveal date. Certainly not 2019.

That's Boomberg trying to sneak in the setup for a future fail based there own reporting, not on something Elon said. But if they can get others to repeat the lie without calling them on it, they profit (clicks, bonuses).

"Typical. Shameful. Boomberg." -- When you need all three.

Cheers!

View attachment 367945
I wouldn't rule out a Roadster "one more thing" style reveal of the Pickup. I don't expect a full reveal in the same way we expect a Y reveal or we had one for the 3 in 2016.

Reuters is reporting what they call an "exclusive", to be presented in detail tomorrow, Friday, in an release dated 4pm Alaska Time:

According to this report, GM is handing over to Cadillac the reins for spearheading GM's push into the EV world. Cadillac will present its vehicle on the so-called "BEV3" platform; other than that, including what kind of vehicle will first emerge, have not been announced.

Link here:
Exclusive: GM's Cadillac will introduce EV in fight against Tesla - sources | Reuters

It is a nice improvement from the media that they are now introducing new EVs with the title "EV in fight against Tesla", versus the earlier standard of every new EV being called a "Tesla killer".

Maybe they finally realized Tesla isn't getting killed anytime soon by the legacy automakers ?

Last edited:
E1F707BA-F9C2-47F6-92EB-63A84DD9EB10.jpeg
I’ll say it again, SpaceX dividend. Some smart people disagreed, but it really does look awesome and YES, that is a real picture. View attachment 367970

Odd, the render got uploaded. I updated with the real picture.

Last edited:
I'm back with the detailed First Call TSLA Q4 revenue estimates:

(In $ millions)
BofAML 6,926.6
Canaccord 7,715.0
Deutsche 6,976.1
Elazar Advisors 7,084.2
Evercore 6,805.5
Goldman Sachs 6,851.1
JMP 6,848.7
JPMorgan 7,020.0
Macquiarie 7,089.9
Needham 7,523.4
Oppenheimer 7,440.8
Piper 7,226.1
RBC 7,139.3
Roth 6,985.0
UBS 6,820.2
Undisclosed 6,895.0
Undisclosed 7,192.0
Undisclosed 7,032.0
Undisclosed 7,067.2
Wedbush 7,188.5
Wolfe Research 6,899.0

Consensus 7,082.2
Maximum 7,715.0
Minimum 6,805.5

Excluded
Undisclosed 6,749.0

Great info! Do you have the old estimates for Q3, by any chance? Would be interested to know how it compares to Factset, plus we might be able to figure out which analysts Factset uses with a little math.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mobius484