Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Incorporating design cues from the Roadster 2.0 (especially the fascia) will definitely reignite S sales. I don't think that would require a major manufacturing overhaul. That plus an interior refresh would be great.
Roadster 2.0 would make the S too aggressive. I think the front end is perfect actually. The rear is dated and the taillights are dated compared to X and 3. An interior refresh is overdue.

• Disagree
Reactions: replicant
I am beginning to see the problems with Model 3 demand!

Let me start with a little background. I got my Model S in 2014 and at that time there were not that many Tesla cars around in the Toronto area. People stared, asked many questions, I could leave any car behind when the traffic light turned green. It was a unique feeling driving a Tesla. The only problem was that my wife has often "borrowed" my S and I had to drive her Subaru -- I hated that FART machine. Fast forward to Fall 2018 and I got my Model 3, so my wife can drive the S and I still have a Tesla ;)

And now we come to the demand problem. You see, when I am driving around in my Model 3 in 2019, its nothing like the good ol' days of 2014. I see other Model 3s on the road every few minutes of driving. Even worse, the car is so common I got into an awkward situation recently when picking up my son from high school: I am sitting in the parking lot beside the school reading TMC on my phone waiting for my son, door opens, kid gets into the car, I look up to greet him, but to my surprise I see a different kid I do not know. He also looks confused, says sorry and gets out of the car apologizing that his dads car looks exactly the same -- and he is right I see another M3 just like mine further down in the parking lot.
So yeah, there is a demand problem. This car is too damn popular and Tesla doesn't offer enough color choices. Soon our streets will look very boring! Darn demand problem indeed.

Last edited:
I really don't get how such obvious short and distort campaigns can be legal. Their whole report is just a collection of heavily distorted information to serve as anti Tesla propaganda. They are obviously too sophisticated to actually believe the idiotic assumptions and modelling oversights required to manipulate the data towards many of the conclusions they present.

It’s not a matter of legal vs illegal. It’s that virtually everyone who sees the lies and manipulation are sitting on their hands. We’ve all been sitting here talking about it for YEARS and the best we have done is one or two asking others to do something about it because ‘fill in the excuse’ why they can’t themselves do something about it.

You don't say it. You do something like, oh, let's just say, announcing that you'll be building Starship in both Florida and Texas....

Yes, I don't see that action as coercive. That is just sanity if you want redundant launch capability. A pad could easily blow up and planet alignment is a pretty hard schedule.

What I naively believe is that Texans actually like their almost non-existent government. (And the no service bill will never pass.)

"Every two years, the Texas Legislature convenes for a 140-day regular legislative session."
"The 86th Legislature runs from Jan. 8 to May 27. From the state budget to health care to education policy — and the politics behind it all — we focus on what Texans need to know about the biennial legislative session."
Texas Legislature 2019

It is like trying to coerce an empty house. 80% of the time there is nobody there.

Again, I think most Texans like their non-existent government. And they don't like being threatened or coerced. Clinton killed the super conducting supercollider because Texas did not vote for him. That action certainly did not make Texas line up democratic.

Coercion is bad policy and creates hate. Really attempted slavery. Tesla should not be doing it.

I think we win long term if Musk is forced into strict communication compliance, and gets a communication couch.

He needs to stop BS about how Tesla almost died last time around. I'm afraid what he's gonna say in couple of months about this quarter. And he especially can't do that after Feb CC call, where he said something along 'we're not even thinking about demand'. Inconsistencies like this abound in the past, more prevalently during the MX launch. This pattern seem to be: minimize problems while they're happening as Musk is an optimist and believe he can fix them, and then, blow issues out of proportion once they're fixed, as that presents team in a better light. This perspective could be exactly how musk sees situation at the time, but for outside observers, it seems inconsistent, and these are the roots of TSLAQ accusing him of lying.

We really would be better off if he can stop talking about 'almost died' situations, dragons he slayed, and how tough it was. Crucially, I feel Musk doesn't instinctively understand difference between 1. communicating to interested parties, and those he reaches very well, vs. 2. talking to media and disinterested crowd that doesn't care, one fed by soundbites. First group will have a sympathy for those stories, second is going to see it as drama and lying...

Musk would do way better if he were to be prepped, like a politician or a witness in a court, about messages that are a no-go. Until he develops this skill himself.

Since he expressed trust in judicial system, I hope judge can send this message in a way that is not damaging, yet is convincing to Musk himself.

There, I said it.

Can Musk be a little bit more politically correct and hide certain missteps and not be so damn honest which not only give FUDsters ammo but also depressing the sp? Sure. Do I regret that his mouth is causing me to load up on TSLA for cheap? Probably not when the sp is 10x of what it is today when Tesla eventually wins out in the end. All his "imminent doom" talk is just him liking to build that cinematic narrative. I mean how many time have we heard about that last rocket almost not making it to orbit which would be the end of space X? I almost feel like Elon love close calls, it's what gets himself out of bed every morning.

Really impressed with Gali and Hyperchange tonight. He realizes this whole story stinks like a pile of chicken manure. Get out before it's too late. Elon has completely lost control and the SEC are going to smack him like a red headed step child. The only thing Gali said that was off key was that he doesn't plan on selling. Remember folks, Musk is the billionairre and not you. What a disaster.
I agree with everything you said but the selling shares part. Who’s ready for a 14% rally tomorrow
1D550097-1EDD-4003-8231-0343E7AD860F.png

Really impressed with Gali and Hyperchange tonight. He realizes this whole story stinks like a pile of chicken manure. Get out before it's too late. Elon has completely lost control and the SEC are going to smack him like a red headed step child. The only thing Gali said that was off key was that he doesn't plan on selling. Remember folks, Musk is the billionairre and not you. What a disaster.

All right I did my due diligence and listened to him. The thing is Gali has always been, well, hyper. He rushes through things and doesn't consider details. When discussing the SEC thing, he didn't look at all the numbers (very few did though). I've seen other errors and omissions by him also. He's got spirit and a pulse for new tech. Many positives but is young and inexperienced.

With that said, his current video does not alarm me one bit. I was concerned that I was going to find a substantial bear thesis. But it was really a bunch of what ifs, due to all the commotion this quarter. Basically, echoing Morgan Stanley and other analysts and media pundits. Sure, there may be a major demand lull. We'll find out soon enough. But I feel, along with other bulls, that this is a storm that Tesla can weather, and that they will ride at the top of the wave as the large scale transition to EVs continue.

And then we have the garage theory. I don't lend too much credit to that. In the first place there are plenty more garages, and in the second, tech can solve that problem (basically amount of chargers and stations will continue to grow). The notion that a lack of garages is going to cause a demand cliff is just silly. There are way too many benefits for garages and other inconveniences to get in the way. It's like saying people are not going to buy a smartphone because they don't fit in your pocket like feature phones do. People will carry a smartphone in their hand if they have to, before they ever go back to feature phones.

Last edited:
I am beginning to see the problems with Model 3 demand!

Let me start with a little background. I got my Model S in 2014 and at that time there were not that many Tesla cars around in the Toronto area. People stared, asked many questions, I could leave any car behind when the traffic light turned green. It was a unique feeling driving a Tesla. The only problem was that my wife has often "borrowed" my S and I had to drive her Subaru -- I hated that FART machine. Fast forward to Fall 2018 and I got my Model 3, so my wife can drive the S and I still have a Tesla ;)

And now we come to the demand problem. You see, when I am driving around in my Model 3 in 2019, its nothing like the good ol' days of 2014. I see other Model 3s on the road every few minutes of driving. Even worse, the car is so common I got into an awkward situation recently when picking up my son from high school: I am sitting in the parking lot beside the school reading TMC on my phone waiting for my son, door opens, kid gets into the car, I look up to great him, but to my surprise I see a different kid I do not know. He also looks confused, says sorry and gets out of the car apologizing that his dad's car looks exactly the same -- and he is right I see another M3 just like mine further down in the parking lot.
So yeah, there is a demand problem. This car is too damn popular and Tesla doesn't offer enough color choices. Soon our streets will look very boring! Darn demand problem indeed.

Go long on fluffy dice. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think we win long term if Musk is forced into strict communication compliance, and gets a communication couch.

He needs to stop BS about how Tesla almost died last time around. I'm afraid what he's gonna say in couple of months about this quarter. And he especially can't do that after Feb CC call, where he said something along 'we're not even thinking about demand'. Inconsistencies like this abound in the past, more prevalently during the MX launch. This pattern seem to be: minimize problems while they're happening as Musk is an optimist and believe he can fix them, and then, blow issues out of proportion once they're fixed, as that presents team in a better light. This perspective could be exactly how musk sees situation at the time, but for outside observers, it seems inconsistent, and these are the roots of TSLAQ accusing him of lying.

We really would be better off if he can stop talking about 'almost died' situations, dragons he slayed, and how tough it was. Crucially, I feel Musk doesn't instinctively understand difference between 1. communicating to interested parties, and those he reaches very well, vs. 2. talking to media and disinterested crowd that doesn't care, one fed by soundbites. First group will have a sympathy for those stories, second is going to see it as drama and lying...

Musk would do way better if he were to be prepped, like a politician or a witness in a court, about messages that are a no-go. Until he develops this skill himself.

Since he expressed trust in judicial system, I hope judge can send this message in a way that is not damaging, yet is convincing to Musk himself.

There, I said it, I'd prefer Musk to receive some sort of a gag order. (I changed this last statement to be more dramatic, as Disagreements were accumulating too slowly :))

Musk said last year, after the settlement that his fight with SEC is not over. It is one of the reasons why his lawyers want to bring to light SEC negotiations tactics into the picture.

In other words, SEC vs Musk continues but timing certainly is not in investors favor - something that perhaps SEC have taken into account.

New Gigafactory 3 video. Lots of piles, concrete, and some scaffolding!
What they are calling scaffolding in the video actually looks like roof truss to me, or floor truss if they are going to have a second level on top of that white truss. Scaffolding would be temporary and the roof/floor truss would be a permanent part of the structure. Progress looks good. As the surveyor said in the video, steel structures go up very fast, it’s like building blocks.

Can Musk be a little bit more politically correct and hide certain missteps and not be so damn honest which not only give FUDsters ammo but also depressing the sp? Sure. Do I regret that his mouth is causing me to load up on TSLA for cheap? Probably not when the sp is 10x of what it is today when Tesla eventually wins out in the end. All his "imminent doom" talk is just him liking to build that cinematic narrative. I mean how many time have we heard about that last rocket almost not making it to orbit which would be the end of space X? I almost feel like Elon love close calls, it's what gets himself out of bed every morning.
You are right about why he does it, but he can't do that as a CEO of a 50B public company.
This volatility may all seem fine and dandy to you, and it was fine me for a year or two, but I've been at this same price levels 4 years ago, waiting for inevitable success that never seem to arrive. And everything else is 3x to 7x. People to whom I recommended stock years ago are patient, but I don't want to call them bc. I'm afraid they're going to ask me what is going on with Tesla.
I don't need Musk to pump the stock, but he needs to stop hurting it.

This poster's opinions should be ignored for anyone who doesn't recognize him. He used to post a lot more a few years ago. He only posts very dramatic opinions, which can be in either direction (bull or bear) but are always very full of emotion and exaggeration, and never represent a reasonable analysis of a situation.

New Gigafactory 3 video. Lots of piles, concrete, and some scaffolding!

Jesus, you guys are fast!!

From our in-house structural engineer @MacRocket

They are using large spaced steel columns with steel space frame roof structure. Happening quickly. Looks like they will pour the floor slabs after frames are erected.

Jesus, you guys are fast!!

From our in-house structural engineer @MacRocket
Space frame roof structure:
Description
In architecture and structural engineering, a space frame or space structure is a rigid, lightweight, truss-like structure constructed from interlocking struts in a geometric pattern. Space frames can be used to span large areas with few interior supports.