Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2nd try today that we touched 1000 EUR.
Bildschirmfoto vom 2021-11-01 16-26-41.png

That's not really an accurate way to look at it because if you convert the DITM calls to shares you capture the time value anyway. That's why they move almost exactly 1:1 with the shares!

Yeah I guess you're right. Or you could say there's no time value in a deep ITM call option anyway. For example a Jan2023 $500 strike call option costs $658 right now (TSLA230120C00500000 (TSLA230120C00500000) Stock Price, News, Quote & History - Yahoo Finance) which is basically the cost of TSLA minus the 500 strike.

That's not really an accurate way to look at it because if you convert the DITM calls to shares you capture the time value anyway. That's why they move almost exactly 1:1 with the shares!

@vwman111, I see two big disadvantages to exercising early. One, the time value is there because the risk is there. Why take all the risk with very little upside (saving on capital gains). The other big one is leverage. Every option contract is 100 shares. By exercising them early, you'll need to use a lot of money to buy the shares, money that you could use elsewhere (like buying more shares at the current price level 😉 ).

Just my opinion, and obviously, not financial advice...

Reactions: Johan
I'm sure there's manipulators at work every day to steer the SP where they would like it to be, sometimes succeeding, sometimes not. But the conspiracy talk is getting a bit over the top:

- We had a 43% run-up in October, half of it during the last week
- The stock opens up +3% and goes down to +1%
- Which is still above the ATH closing price of Friday
- On a day when Nasdaq is hovering around 0%.

And then some people cry manipulation...

:rolleyes:
I think Tesla is manipulating the stock...

I wonder if the timing of all these announcements such as Hertz, Uber, battery deals, and opening superchargers, were done in a calculated way by Tesla to maximize pain for the shorts after the Q3 earnings report. We all know how much Elon hates short sellers, and who knows what other hammers he has in his toolbox to inflict more pain.

I'm sure there's manipulators at work every day to steer the SP where they would like it to be, sometimes succeeding, sometimes not. But the conspiracy talk is getting a bit over the top:

- We had a 43% run-up in October, half of it during the last week
- The stock opens up +3% and goes down to +1%
- Which is still above the ATH closing price of Friday
- On a day when Nasdaq is hovering around 0%.

And then some people cry manipulation...

:rolleyes:
When volume is light, there is definitely manipulation. We are not in a trading period where much manipulation can happen.

I wonder if the timing of all these announcements such as Hertz, Uber, battery deals, and opening superchargers, were done in a calculated way by Tesla to maximize pain for the shorts after the Q3 earnings report. We all know how much Elon hates short sellers, and who knows what other hammers he has in his toolbox to inflict more pain.
I think it has been planned well. Also, I think we'll have more solid announcements that will help the cause.

What about Adapters ? to connect the sleek Tesla charging plug to the clumsy and bigly CCS socket? Should owners buy them from Tesla shop?

Also curious how will Tesla SCs will understand CCS protocol?

Worse than giving away a Tesla moot to other EV companies is that many of their EVs are not suitable for charging at a Tesla supercharger. Their charge ports are situated in such a way that they have to occupy two spots to even be able to reach the port with the charging cable. Among them the E-Tron (left in the picture below), Taycan (second from the left), ID.3 (right) and ID.4. Second from the right is a Model 3. The ID.3 and ID.4 have their charging port on the wrong side, which means no other car can charge next to them.
1623875214412-png.674065

Big picture is that this still helps the goal of speeding up the transition to sustainable energy.

The fact that Tesla will profit from energy sales at the Supercharger to other brands is something most of them won't be doing too. Just like manufacturing, most brands don't have their own charging network, or, are not ramping at a pace like Tesla.

There is plenty of room for all BEVs in the steady march to replace ICE, so not much of a worry there. Telsa will continue to lead the pack due primarily to their technology development and their manufacturing prowess.

It is all good as long as it furthers the goal.
Thing is, Musk and Tesla have repetitively said that the Supercharger network is not a profit center. From what I've been able to gather, the costs charged cover the cost of the electricity, yes, but also covers the costs of administration, maintenance and building out the network. And maybe the costs of renting the land that the superchargers live upon. And that's it.
The idea: don't make the cost of Supercharging more than or equal to the costs of using an ICE. This furthers the idea of getting people to buy electric vehicles by making the value proposition better. And since Tesla's in the business of selling cars, that means more cars being sold.
There's no question that the other charging networks, DC or not, at least in the U.S., are in there for the profit/money. Even the fully subsidized ones ("free" Chargepoint stations in parking garages, for example) are keeping Chargepoint - and their corporate profits - afloat.
What's kind of interesting about this: If those other charging networks want to stay afloat, they're going to have to offer the same or less charging costs as Tesla's Supercharging network or provide something that equates to Value Added. Or these other networks are going to go bankrupt.
Comments?

Last edited: