Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
A nice but ultimately futile gesture. The ones who have agendas will still scream. Nothing will ever be good enough for them and that is completely intentional.
I realized the opinions of people about Elon are entrenched exactly like the opinions about the COVID19 vaccine. Even if it does better good overall, people focus only on the 1% negative and some can’t be convinced because they are completely irrational. Or they have hidden Oil/legacy financial interest agenda.

The design is too compelling. It wins in every single category due to physics.
  • Range
  • Towing
  • Hauling
  • Noise (better aerodynamics)
  • Ground clearance
  • Ride comfort
  • Cabin volume
  • Exterior durability
  • Powertrain lifespan
  • Secure storage volume
  • Approach and departure angles
  • Ease of loading heavy payloads into the vault
  • Automatic load-leveling (air suspension)
  • Masculinity

I agree with one major exception. I expect that the exoskeleton design will prove to be more difficult to isolate road noise from the interior. And I don't expect the better aerodynamics to over come this fact except perhaps on the smoothest, least abrasive road surfaces. Tesla will do what they can to control the transmission of road noise but I suspect interior sound levels will be higher than that of less aerodynamic body on frame designs.

Attachments

• R16-4.jpg
    R16-4.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 72
Elon addresses the PepsiCo CEO's "this Q4" slip re. the Semi. Slightly ambiguous as he mentions volume production isn't possible, which doesn't exclude a few Semi trucks to be field-tested by PepsiCo.

Reading between the lines it sounds like Pepsi really might get a small number of vehicles to test out (like 5 or so) by the end of this year.

I agree with one major exception. I expect that the exoskeleton design will prove to be more difficult to isolate road noise from the interior. And I don't expect the better aerodynamics to over come this fact except perhaps on the smoothest, least abrasive road surfaces. Tesla will do what they can to control the transmission of road noise but I suspect interior sound levels will be higher than that of less aerodynamic body on frame designs.
I think the air suspension with dynamic computer control will reduce noise. Also, the exoskeleton gives great interior volume, enabling thicker noise damping foam if they choose to put it in

Way to darn often I see one of us post a youtube video that we've all already seen.
And if you have seen this one then I am sorry.
BUT it is a very enjoyable listen (it is a podcast as well) by someone intelligent with a Professional background in Stocks I guess. Who knows about cars on a more than hobby basis.
The insights are worth it. Not much you haven't heard. Just presented in a very well done and thoughtful presentation.
I would nominate it as the video you have people you care somewhat about watch if they don't know Tesla.

I'm sorry, it's nice that they are big Tesla enthusiasts (at least one of them) but he's not worth listening to. He has no particular insight and doesn't really understand the forces at play in this space.

I did like the story near the beginning where he said for the last three years his wife had no interest in driving his Model 3 and was not interested in Tesla until last week she was forced to drive his car as her Audi was in the shop getting brake work and other stuff fixed and he was out of town. When he returned, she said she thought she wanted to get a Tesla! Nice!

The video is way too long 1 hr 22 min. and I had to stop when he said Elon doesn't know how he's damaging the brand by opening the Supercharger network up to owners of other EV's. I don't have time for people that think in terms of traditional fences and walls. He simply doesn't get it and that's apparent when he admits that even though he invested in TSLA after taking delivery of his Model 3 in 2018 it is still a very inconsequential and minor part of his investment portfolio (which is otherwise mutual funds). If he had taken anything more than a token position, TSLA would be a major part of his portfolio after rising 30X.

If you want to learn something, you have to listen to people who have more insight into things than you do.

I realized the opinions of people about Elon are entrenched exactly like the opinions about the COVID19 vaccine. Even if it does better good overall, people focus only on the 1% negative and some can’t be convinced because they are completely irrational. Or they have hidden Oil/legacy financial interest agenda.
The public perception of Musk will improve over time. We are living in a strange moment in history. Likewise, Einstein wasn't nearly as respected as he deserved in 1930's Germany. His greatness becomes more apparent with every passing year. It will be much the same with Elon.

I was mistaken. The UAW has tried to get signatures to force a vote but they can't even get enough signatures to make a vote happen. If workers wanted to unionize, they would sign. It's not for lack of trying by the UAW. Elon cannot participate even if he wanted to.
If I recall correctly the UAW threw the workers of the old NUMMI* plant under the bus - totally abandoned/sacrificed them to get some deal in Detroit. Now no auto worker in Fremont want to have anything to do with the UAW.

* That was the Toyota/General Motors joint venture which Tesla bought after it was abandoned in Fremont.

If you think of the vehicle body like a lens or mirror in an optical system, wavelength specific coatings can be used to reduce reflections.

The exoskeleton is fairly uniform and flat, think like a stealth helicopter. There might a way to take advantage of the simpler definition of the geometry to absorb noise. A lot of it is tire noise, like the tire is a giant speaker. If the fender does not reflect the noise from the tire back at the passenger compartment that should help...

Interested to hear what others think about this dude’s predictions regarding the psychology of buyers new to the stock market. (Discussed at the 8:00 minute mark).

Is it actually likely that the stock price disconnects from the company fundamentals? I’m a bit freaked by the possibility. If the stock gets ahead of itself, goes nuts, then it would be hard to resist taking some profit. But then, what if it stays disconnected? There would be no opportunity to buy back in. Logic fails when there’s a failure of logic.

• Informative
Reactions: Thumper
Interested to hear what others think about this dude’s predictions regarding the psychology of buyers new to the stock market. (Discussed at the 8:00 minute mark).

Is it actually likely that the stock price disconnects from the company fundamentals? I’m a bit freaked by the possibility. If the stock gets ahead of itself, goes nuts, then it would be hard to resist taking some profit. But then, what if it stays disconnected? There would be no opportunity to buy back in. Logic fails when there’s a failure of logic.

Dude the share price has historically always been not about fundamentals. Tesla is one stock where traditional methods of valuation fail.

The public perception of Musk will improve over time. We are living in a strange moment in history. Likewise, Einstein wasn't nearly as respected as he deserved in 1930's Germany. His greatness becomes more apparent with every passing year. It will be much the same with Elon.
that’s exactly what I was thinking. Some one said about Einstein that it is normal to be controversial when you have a revolutionary theory and it is normal to be met by detractors, they vanish away after one generation and the new theory becomes the norm.

A billionaire paying more taxes on purpose. The first in all human history. Elon will be remembered as the greatest human of all time.
Unlike other rich people, or at least the stereotype, Elon simply wants to accelerate the advent of sustainable transportation and make life interplanetary. Money is a means to that end and it is absolutely nothing more. And he knows he has enough to that as well as him being a good human being.

My first meeting with him proved this. We were designing the autopilot system when he says, our first priority is to ensure the system will be safe as in it won't hit things it shouldn't and it will be able to not hit things even the best human driver couldn't avoid. Man, he sold me, proved to me he was the right guy for me to work for and that continues to this day. Yeah he's quirky, eccentric and flawed to a point, but he is relentless in his primary pursuits.

Wow! I think this is new. (and bloody tragic... or amazing... depending on your POV)

For base Model S w/ 19" wheels in USA...
View attachment 732868
When I ordered my Model S on November 4 it showed an estimated delivery of June, 2022. It had upgrades of blue paint, white interior, and FSD. A few days ago my app was updated to show an expected delivery between January 23rd and February 20th. Here’s hoping!

Why do you think Austin will lack a paint shop at the end of 2023? 😲
Lack of *additional* pain shop for new production lines not currently planned. They could build a second paint shop if they really wanted but it highlights why CT will be the 2nd vehicle coming out of GigaAustin (addressing OPs comment) - There would need to be major changes to the factory if they are to build a different make than the CT after the Y is ramped.

• Informative
Reactions: lafrisbee and UCF3
TSLA is only up 20X since the low in 2018. If you wanted 30X, you had to wait until 2019... :p

TSLA is like a game of chicken with the shortzes.

Cheers!

True, I realized that after the time for editing had expired. But my point stands. Even a small position taken in 2018 should be a big position now.