Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My only concern was the end of quarter referral program from yesterday - means they was still inventory to get rid of. But hopefully will result in even more sales.

I wouldn't be too concerned about this. The referral program is a nice driver of consistent demand, but 1,000 miles of free supercharging (which doesn't appear to be going away any time soon) is not the type of demand lever that will drive a huge spike of orders.

"This will not repeat in subsequent quarters."

That one note in his letter has me thinking. Makes this quarter unique for some reason. I bet (just did) he's trying to turn a small profit in Q1 (or not negative despite overseas penalty this quarter). The employees must already be worn out meaning this whole quarter has been a push (obviously). In fear of some employee backlash or it would not have been said at all. Afterall, it was a letter to the employees.

My only concern was the end of quarter referral program from yesterday - means they was still inventory to get rid of. But hopefully will result in even more sales.

I’m wondering how much the referral program is a means to reign in social media nastyness - the reward is not that costly but it ensures all the insufferable influencers don’t join the FUD side..,

I doubt it. You don’t start a long running program like that just because of a 2-week glut of supply. That’s there to keep demand up long term

Really? Do you think it’s because of unsold cars or undelivered? If they’re undelivered the profits will just show up next Q. Seems like a weird thing to obsessed about

Unsold would be the negative to which I'm referring. Undelivered is just a matter of logistics -- shouldn't be a concern.

I've been looking over inventory S/X models over the past few days (for fun, I swear). They are definitely moving units; it seems like the ones I pick out are almost always gone the next day. Mostly 2018 builds, with the occasional 2019 showroom model popping up. The red X100D posted on here last night sold this morning.

Good. Now I can stop thinking about it. The wife and I had a conversation last night, but decided to hold off for now.

Good. Now I can stop thinking about it. The wife and I had a conversation last night, but decided to hold off for now.

@Cherry Wine Ha. Thanks to you, I almost bought it. I'd prefer a five seater, though. I have to ask where you found that listing? I couldn't find that car on ev-cpo or on Tesla's website, but only with the link you posted.

"This will not repeat in subsequent quarters."

That one note in his letter has me thinking. Makes this quarter unique for some reason. I bet (just did) he's trying to turn a small profit in Q1 (or not negative despite overseas penalty this quarter). The employees must already be worn out meaning this whole quarter has been a push (obviously). In fear of some employee backlash or it would not have been said at all. Afterall, it was a letter to the employees.

For Q2, there should be some Euro/China vehicles that will start shipping immediately when Q2 begins. I expect to see the ships starting to come back to Pier 80 pretty much within the first couple of days of Q2. For Q1, they didn't start loading M3's on the ships until the 1st or 2nd week of Feb.

I think Elon might be trying to do a push to positive especially with the AP revenue coming in but that maintaining the profitability will much easier in Q2 because there will not be the 1 month(plus a week or so) of only production with small amounts of deliveries

Reactions: neroden
MOD:

ZERO further discussion on:

BA // 737Max // pilot experience and so forth

Car washing. Lots of posts in a carwash thread....somewhere else on TMC

If you wonder whether what you're about to write....or post...in this thread, look at this thread's title. 'Nuff said?

This tendency for SO MANY of you to must have the last word is bordering on the obsessive. I'm not sure, however, on what side of that border it is.

~~~Vetinari~~~
I don't need to have the last word!

CNBC has Bob Lutz on about once per month. They let him bash Tesla endlessly, yet never ask him about his own company, VLF Motors, which is a total disaster and has failed year after year to bring its promised cars into production.

My only worry regarding Lutz is that the old geezer drops dead before Tesla really starts to kick some legacy car maker ass. I really want him to be around when that happens.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is really relevant to Tesla Model3 sales, since they are above the price limit anyway, but just in case, FYI (Financial Post article):

Electric vehicle rebate could slam the brakes on sales until Ottawa nails down the details

So, basically the "experts" argue that EV sales will halt until more details emerge from the Gov in Canada, because the new $5K incentive has unclear conditions and people do not want to miss out, so they would rather wait until everything is clear.

The article does note:
Notably, the Tesla Model 3, the most popular electric car in Canada, comes in at $47,600 for the cheapest base model, so it appears that it will be completely excluded from the rebate.

• Informative
Reactions: AZRI11 and neroden
....which is happening really really soon. It takes a few days to produce a car, right? They're probably going to be switching back to European production within the next week and loading the boats at the beginning of April.

Yes. One reason is that about 300 Teslas for the EU missed the boat and are sitting on Pier 80,
Still trying to get to the cool table. on Twitter

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and AndyH
I wouldn't be too concerned about this. The referral program is a nice driver of consistent demand, but 1,000 miles of free supercharging (which doesn't appear to be going away any time soon) is not the type of demand lever that will drive a huge spike of orders.
You’d be suprised at the level of cheapness of people buying $120k cars