Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure we have earnings coming up and a lot of great things ahead in the very imminent forecast here, but I can’t help but have this strong sense that something amazing is on the verge of happening here real soon. Maybe it’s just my positive outlook and excitement because of all this company is doing that we know so much about or maybe it’s intuition of something else coming that we don’t quite know all the details of yet but it’s all about to burst.
Anyone else feeling this way lately or just me? Lol

Yup. :)

things-are-going-to-start-happening-to-me-now.jpg

Cheers!

Sure we have earnings coming up and a lot of great things ahead in the very imminent forecast here, but I can’t help but have this strong sense that something amazing is on the verge of happening here real soon. Maybe it’s just my positive outlook and excitement because of all this company is doing that we know so much about or maybe it’s intuition of something else coming that we don’t quite know all the details of yet but it’s all about to burst.
IMO it is possible to be optimistic and rational.

Rational optimism needs to be based on known facts and/or reasonable assumptions.

The mere fact that Elon is giving a Product Roadmap Update gives grounds for cautious optimism, because it is likely to contain some good news, and I think most of the bad news in terms of product delays is already public.

Beyond that, the ramp up of Tesla Energy sales is something even the Accountant might not have factored in.

Elon responding to something like this is so rare that it's obviously intentional.

He's letting the German authorities knows he expects Berlin to open by mid-next month. Otherwise....well I wonder what Elon will do. I bet the Germans probably don't want to find out.

Thats an absurd viewpoint. He's CEO of the company its one of 2 new factories being built, you think he wouldnt be visiting regularly regardless of some paperwork stamps?

Don't forget about the lower cost to build the car due to the cast front and rear parts. I'd imagine the front cast will increase margins like the decrease in battery costs will (due to the 4680). Also not often mentioned, but if Tesla is making their own batteries, then they don't need to pay profits to a third party either!
With supplies from CATL and BYD they have two cell to pack suppliers that compete for industry lowest price and are enthused to supply Tesla. Rest assured the 2022 and 2023 production will also have 4680’s from at least two suppliers added to Tesla’s own.
Adding Gigapress castings and we’ll see even low spec cars with Gross Margin above 30%.

All of that tech only matters for continuing cost reductions in existing Models, and the upcoming Semi, Cybertruck and Roadster. Admittedly important products, but NOT the long-term growth you are referreing to (ie: how we get from 5M/yr to 20M/yr).

The answer to that is already known: LFP batteries. Costs are estimated right not to be $80/KWh for CATL/Model 2 packs and potentially $68 KW/h for BYD/Blade battery packs for the upcoming $25K compact car (a.k.a. Model 2).

Model 2 takes us from 5M/yr to 10M/yr. Model 1/Robotaxi takes us to 20M/yr. None of these depend upon Tesla DBE, or creating their own LFP cells. Structural packs are already being sold by BYD, and are relatively simply to engineer with prismatic LFP cells. Tesla's efforts in battery development have two primary objectives IMO:
  1. expanding the battery performance envelope (leading to aviation-capable tech within 10 years)
  2. cost control for mass production to drive the ramp-down in supplier prices as production expands
This enables TSLA's growth beyond $4K/share to $20K+/share (in concert with Model 1/ FSD tech)

Cheers!
One correction: BYD recently switched to Blade batteries for cell to pack. That $68 figure was for Blade CTP. FWIW, slightly OT, BYD large stationary pack are also quite cheap. For my current project BYD was half the price of #2.

After reading through the hundreds of posts about the heat pump (meh), Dan O'Dowd (pffft) and California net-metering (agree with consensus), I am SO ready for this long weekend to be over and for us to re-focus on stock price, earnings analyst upgrades, etc. Fingers crossed the macros don't screw us.

LFG!

After reading through the hundreds of posts about the heat pump (meh), Dan O'Dowd (pffft) and California net-metering (agree with consensus), I am SO ready for this long weekend to be over and for us to re-focus on stock price, earnings analyst upgrades, etc. Fingers crossed the macros don't screw us.

LFG!
NASDAQ futures are currently red.

I don't have a strong sense something amazing is about to happen, but I KNOW something amazing could happen at any time.

I've been in this game long enough to know that predicting exactly when those amazing things will happen is not a good bet. It's good enough to just have confidence that amazing things will happen and that you are ready for them when they do.

In the last three years it's quite striking how extremely good fundamental news often had muted or negative share price reactions while very strong price action often had no real news immediately preceding it. Even given that, I'm not willing to say it will unfold like that this time.

Just hang on with your 'gorilla grip' and enjoy the ride.

IMO it is possible to be optimistic and rational.

Rational optimism needs to be based on known facts and/or reasonable assumptions.

The mere fact that Elon is giving a Product Roadmap Update gives grounds for cautious optimism, because it is likely to contain some good news, and I think most of the bad news in terms of product delays is already public.

Beyond that, the ramp up of Tesla Energy sales is something even the Accountant might not have factored in.
Love the optimism but every megapack is sold out which to me appears to mean that Tesla is still just as battery constrained as they have been for the last year. The imported battery cells that are assembled there in the port of CA must be limited in volume. You can't get a megapack delivered this year. So whatever Tesla's forecasts for the megapack product might be it seems to me that as far as booking revenues they pretty much have no surprises at this point. the accountant might or might not have much revenue attributed to this product, or powerwalls in general, but I don't see energy actually exploding in growth for at least 2 years. Even then...even then I have trouble finding battery capacity, really not til 2025. 2025 we'll turn on a slew of factories in the USA, a few in Europe as well. Several in Korea and Japan and who knows what in China. 2025 may finally free up some battery capacity for energy. If not it means the EV revolution has truly hit scale and ICE sales will be plummeting. WIN WIN but I don't see huge earning changes due to Tesla product announcements as everything is battery constrained save solar panels/roof and software. Rather it will be engineering, solving 4680 scalability or someone opening a LiFe plants here in the USA as patents blow away in April.