Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thoughts on Jan-21-2022 DITM calls?
Haven't managed to catch up on all the wonderful posts on this thread lately.
Someone might've posted on this already, but couldn't find anything at least by searching for "spotgamma". The subject likely was discussed, even if not in the context of spotgamma video, article.

Spotgamma: Article; Video
Tldr; Tesla has deltas expiring equivalent to 107% of Average Daily traded volume. This would be

Last year January options (expiry Jan-15-2021) were also significant. That said, I am not sure how deep in the money those were back then.
There was a GME squeeze last January, likes of Melvin Capital had margin calls[Article]
I have a strong feeling, many of us here have quite a few DITM calls expiring this January, whether already exercised or yet to be.

What are your thoughts on this?
@"ALL HERE"
@Artful Dodger @FrankSG @generalenthu @The Accountant @traxila @ZeApelido, and other folks whose names/handles aren't crossing my tired mind right now.
Thanks for calling out. I looked into this last week before the spotgamma article came out and did the analysis. So it's an easy pitch. TLDR: This is not a big deal, but let's wait and see.

Anyways, It is important to set the context in which the stock is trading, and the biggest point which spotgamma didn't call out was that the action last January in TSLA was on the back of a S&P addition in December triggering a lot of tracking funds to add, in first week of January. Early January was unusually strong getting into the expiry week (week of 2021-01-11). The expiry week itself was relatively uneventful, closing at 826 on 1/15.

Screenshot from 2022-01-18 07-57-21.png

Now I pulled the number of open call contracts with strikes all the way up to 800, that were expiring on 2021-01-15. This was a really large number. We started the year at about 640k contracts open interest (OI), and ended the opex cycle on 1/15 with a third less. All these (418k OI) on 1/15 have been hedged / rolled or taken delivery on. That is they didn't have much of a delta impact.

Note that this analysis includes strikes that were out of the money at the beginning of 2021, and excluding this doesn't materially change the analysis.

Screenshot from 2022-01-18 08-01-38.png

Now if we look at the corresponding OI trend for this year, the thing that jumps out is we have far less of it now. This makes me think that we wont have a tough time absorbing this. Here, I am including all the calls up to a 950 strike expiring on 2022-01-21. There has been not that much of a drop in OI in the week prior to the opex week, but I believe the calls in the 950 range are more 'seasoned' with our repeated visits to the 1100 and 1200 areas in the past. This is unlike last year, when we were making fresh highs. Net net, I do think these calls are mostly 'digested', as in they wont result in a significant amount of net sales this week.

Screenshot from 2022-01-18 08-02-30.png

A few other points to consider are: TSLA trading volumes this year have been running may be about a third less than the average we were seeing going into 2021 January opex. So we have slightly lower capacity to absorb options triggered volumes. And finally there's earnings and Macro to think of this week. Earnings are a clear positive and Macro has been a negative. I think the Q4 P/D beat is more significant this cycle.

Net net, while spotgamma is not FUD, it certainly is blowing things a tiny bit out of proportion. As a subscriber, I am glad they are tracking this and at least calling attention to stuff.

cost, cycles, degradation, charging, power, scalability.. it's not just about range.

all the time we see articles cherry picking one aspect of a battery, such as in this instance range, but without the complete set of details it is largely meaningless.
I have seen these PR releases for 10 years plus and not one has made it to a production vehicle. The only reason this is getting more attention is the fact it’s in a Tesla and as you said cherry picked facts which is always the case. My approach to these is wait to see it in a car, still waiting. The more cherry picking the less credible.

What do we think to this? Surely Tesla will know all about it, but interesting to read. So many articles in MSM about 'breakthroughs' you don't know what to believe!

Independent article - 1,200 km range battery
The article is wrong about one important point, "The battery used in the ONE prototype is an innovative lithium iron phosphate design". It's not LFP it's NMC, they plan to use LFP in future versions. I'm guessing they took high density prismatic NMC, stuffed it in there with little to no cooling and internal bracing, adding 700+lbs to the vehicle weight, and made the run.

Max pain is $830 this week, obviously skewed by being a LEAP expiration.

Nice clear call spikes at $1000, $1100, and $1200 tho. All about the same open interest.

To me that means MM's can easily fall back to defend any of those positions, or even the growing wall at $1300. I think FOMO will be allowed to set the price this week. Does it show up? I would wager yes.

Reactions: UncaNed

Nice clear call spikes at $1000, $1100, and $1200 tho. All about the same open interest.

To me that means MM's can easily fall back to defend any of those positions, or even the growing wall at $1300. I think FOMO will be allowed to set the price this week. Does it show up? I would wager yes.
1642517310307.png

Interesting how the 1000 call wall will hold.

Seems today's initial short volume targets 1,000. But it's early still...

1642517283974.png

• Informative
Reactions: bkp_duke

TLDR
about 70 location, the trial claims they are making money
At $10 for 100mi, seems a bit steep to me... or is that the going rate in Cal?

Anyone spot CyberTruck in the rendering?

This got me thinking... will we be using other charging networks too? Are those electrons safe? Do we need to filter them? :rolleyes: The only experimenting I've done was at Zion Nat'l Park with only 2 chargers, very slow, and the same cars parked there all day (over a year ago).

1642517835706.png

At $10 for 100mi, seems a bit steep to me... or is that the going rate in Cal?

Anyone spot CyberTruck in the rendering?

This got me thinking... will we be using other charging networks too? Are those electrons safe? Do we need to filter them? :rolleyes: The only experimenting I've done was at Zion Nat'l Park with only 2 chargers, very slow, and the same cars parked there all day (over a year ago).

View attachment 757034
Hope they offer barf bags. Would really need bio defense mode to keep the stink out.