Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And he deserved it. Ridiculous that so many people think they have a right to question and judge Elon at every turn. ******* ********!
I agree he deserved it but for a different reason. It seems to me that many youtubers and many members here have never worked a day for "the man." It is completely normal and typical for a CEO to be more heavily involved and driving the new and innovative projects in the company. I view it as a negative for a company when that is not the case.

Dave may know this, or not, but as a youtuber trying to get daily views, his incentive is to get Elon's time any way he can, even if asking a question that has an obvious answer.

Last edited:
Are you leveraged, or what, specifically, is causing you to undergo all this fear over normal market gyrations?
No leverage. When I look at the charts for S&P, It worries me how much we have gone up over the last 2 years. I mean supposedly Jan 2022 will go down as one of the worst January performance in the NYSE of all time. Yet I also see the market caps of these megacap companies going to higher levels than we've ever seen so I can see how things are correlating. I hope that it's all "normal" and this is just the effects of a growing market and this is the new world. I remember when S&P went over 2000..... Than 3000 than very suddenly 4000. I guess what im saying is that I hope that the new corrections in the market are similar to the one that we just had, and that they don't fall back in larger % bringing us back to where we were pre pandemic. We have broke so far out from the trend line, but perhaps that's a good thing.

I look at the economy and am hopeful. I consider a massive black swan as a very small possibility, but no one can predict the future. I realize TESLA is hedged against inflation with the batteries and is very strong in financials, growth, and nearly every other metric.

Im not fearful, its more or less that im aware and ready for all outcomes, but my research has me hoping for the best.

Just seen this, Dave getting called out by Elon 🤣

I'm really embarrassed for Dave for those questions he asked (regardless of whether Elon responded or not). They really show a lack of understanding about how new initiatives happen in a company like Tesla. The same could be said for continuing initiatives. It's a huge job that is about as nebulous as they come.

When Elon said he "drives" almost all programs at Tesla, I thought it was obvious that he was saying he is the one that plants the seed, waters it, etc. Not that it was a formal responsibility with hours and assigned tasks. Elon literally makes almost every new initiative happen. Without direction, goals and guidance, nothing is going to happen. Elon is like the puppet master above trying to get all the puppets below to move in the right directions at the right times. And he's a master at it. His results do not lie.

He was "questioning" him as in "asking questions", i.e genuinely wanting to learn. He was not "questioning" him as in "doubting" him. There is a difference.
Yes Dave Lee is great. All kinds of great content on Youtube by Dave, he is a massive plus to the Tesla community

Same re. Rob Mauer, Stephen Mark Ryan, Now You Know and Warren Redlich.

Most of them get a little ahead of themselves sometimes which is only normal. At Now You Know they were convinced that Tesla were going to turn every Tesla into a virtual powerplant last year, and Warren Redlich was going on and on about the $25k car. Again, its normal, a bit of speculation drives views and its fun to think about this stuff anyway. At the end of the day, great investors are slightly better at predicting the future than bad investors.

Although Solving the Money problem can be pretty repetitive, I cant remember any inaccuracies or spurious speculation so far, and Rob Mauer almost never speculates, all you get there are facts and estimations are purely data drvien.

I enjoy all of them, and they help me form my own opinions.

Btw, good to see TSLA up 10% today! I bought heavily between $790 and $900! Partly due to the confidence the YouTubers give me :) Although I am worried about the Echo Chamber sometimes, even more reason for Dave to question Elon from time-to-time

Flying Monkeys aren't part of COGS, they are OZ R&D... ;)

Cheeser!
1643652285941.png

These could be considered part of COGS, as in beverage for the workers (the meaty, non-bot ones at least)

No, it means that projects go faster and better when the most talented and most authoritative person is overseeing them. Anytime a large customer with urgent priorities or projects needed something from us, they'd ask if the key person would personally drive the effort. If it's a enough of priority, that would be the CEO, CTO, or VP Engineering. This is common in tech, but I assume for any other industry as well.

In Tesla's case, Elon is effectively all three. He doesn't *have* to drive the new product, but doing so will increase the likelihood of greatest success. In Elon's mind, anything less than 100% is not an option.

Edit: It sends a message that this is a kickass project that the top engineers will want to work on. The best devs want to develop, not to be managers. Elon driving your project is exciting because it means you're working on one of the most important projects in the company. All eyes are on your team, and you have a chance to show everyone what you can do. Demotivational is the opposite of what happens when Elon personally takes charge of a new project.
This point really has to be reiterated and expanded on as to make the comment made by Elon not seem rude. The points you make are very correct in essence, but we have to understand what it is that Elon can do that others can't or at least what we assume is the case. There are two particular points which Elon has that I don't think anyone else on the Tesla team might have. First is the ability to connect dots of first principles from multidisciplinary fields into one optimized roadmap for developments. While other's have the knowledge of particular fields they are not experts in all and the transition between decisions and fields are not optimal in their cases. Secondly, he will be able to see further into the development making the decisions taken now be fruitful for further developments down the road that will be critical for further success. If Elon does not drive such projects initially the guidepost would probably be wrongly set, and non-optimal process decisions be taken between fields.

As you say, while it is not key for success, and it will also sometimes prove devastating along the way, it will still lessen the likelyhood for failure and speed up the development process in addition to the points made above about the end product(s). Also knowing the pivotal importance of the Tesla bot, why not go with the above?

No leverage. When I look at the charts for S&P, It worries me how much we have gone up over the last 2 years. I mean supposedly Jan 2022 will go down as one of the worst January performance in the NYSE of all time. Yet I also see the market caps of these megacap companies going to higher levels than we've ever seen so I can see how things are correlating. I hope that it's all "normal" and this is just the effects of a growing market and this is the new world. I remember when S&P went over 2000..... Than 3000 than very suddenly 4000. I guess what im saying is that I hope that the new corrections in the market are similar to the one that we just had, and that they don't fall back in larger % bringing us back to where we were pre pandemic. We have broke so far out from the trend line, but perhaps that's a good thing.

I look at the economy and am hopeful. I consider a massive black swan as a very small possibility, but no one can predict the future. I realize TESLA is hedged against inflation with the batteries and is very strong in financials, growth, and nearly every other metric.

Im not fearful, its more or less that im aware and ready for all outcomes, but my research has me hoping for the best.

If you are not leveraged, why are you worried about a "black swan" event? Are you saying a black swan event would be more palatable if you were in cash when it happened?

There is security from being invested in tangible valuable assets like a highly profitable EV manufacturer, one that has a number of other tantalizing irons in the fire and that pivot on a dime. One with very low debt too. I would worry if my assets were all in real estate or (heaven forbid) cash or crypto.

Doesn't this just reinforce the "key man" concerns others had over the weekend?

Elon appears to be saying the company literally can't drive almost any new ideas/products without him personally leading them. Nobody else at Tesla is capable of doing it.
Key factor: Dave's initial Tweet made a massively incorrect assumption which Elon was correcting:

Dave: I think it's possible that @elonmusk was shown a better-than-expected super early humanoid robot prototype by his team, perhaps one that can walk + rough port of FSD. Made it obvious to him that Tesla needs to double down on this.
Elon:
I’m driving this program personally, as is the case for almost all new programs

Elon comes up with ideas and oversees implementation.

P.S. No shade at Dave

Just seen this, Dave getting called out by Elon 🤣

Although this may be somewhat awkward for our own MVP @DaveT it will help in understanding Elon's mindset by looking back at the "Arianna Huffington advice article" published way back in August 2018:

Elon CAN NOT take his foot off the accelerator. It is not in his nature to leave important things to chance. Did you notice how the Model S 'refresh' ramp went? Yeah, that wasn't Elon doing the project management.

FSD, DOJO, TESLABOT, all are on the critical path for Tesla, and humanities future on Mars.

Elon won't quit.

I'm really embarrassed for Dave for those questions he asked (regardless of whether Elon responded or not). They really show a lack of understanding about how new initiatives happen in a company like Tesla. The same could be said for continuing initiatives. It's a huge job that is about as nebulous as they come.

When Elon said he "drives" almost all programs at Tesla, I thought it was obvious that he was saying he is the one that plants the seed, waters it, etc. Not that it was a formal responsibility with hours and assigned tasks. Elon literally makes almost every new initiative happen. Without direction, goals and guidance, nothing is going to happen. Elon is like the puppet master above trying to get all the puppets below to move in the right directions at the right times. And he's a master at it. His results do not lie.

Dave formulated that question wrong, and he seems to realize that, although not fully stating that it was a completely wrong way of asking the question:

Come on Dave, Elon didn’t misunderstand your question, the tweet was definitely worded wrong. 😁

He was "questioning" him as in "asking questions", i.e genuinely wanting to learn. He was not "questioning" him as in "doubting" him. There is a difference.
The “influencers” get a rush out of a "like" or "agree" from Elon. Sometimes if they think he's been misunderstood they'll reinterpret what he said hoping for agreement from him. Sometimes this works, but at other times it seems kind of fawning.

Dave made it seem like he wanted an interview.

Key factor: Dave's initial Tweet made a massively incorrect assumption which Elon was correcting:

Dave: I think it's possible that @elonmusk was shown a better-than-expected super early humanoid robot prototype by his team, perhaps one that can walk + rough port of FSD. Made it obvious to him that Tesla needs to double down on this.
Elon:
I’m driving this program personally, as is the case for almost all new programs

Elon comes up with ideas and oversees implementation.

P.S. No shade at Dave

Exactly…not like the team brought him something and he’s like “Wow, this is great, double speed!” He’s involved from the earliest stage, so the implication that he wouldn’t know exactly where the project stands until he was shown something is what he was taking issue with.

If you take AAPL for example. Pre COVID, aka FY 2019, it made $2.79 EPS. FY 2021, it made $5.7. Pre-covid, its growth rate was anemic. Now, its growth rate is 25-30%. That's why AAPL has doubled since then. The math checks out. Now, you can question whether the future economy is going to expand or contract and by how much, but saying that stock prices going up too much is a concern is misplaced.

This point really has to be reiterated and expanded on as to make the comment made by Elon not seem rude. The points you make are very correct in essence, but we have to understand what it is that Elon can do that others can't or at least what we assume is the case. There are two particular points which Elon has that I don't think anyone else on the Tesla team might have. First is the ability to connect dots of first principles from multidisciplinary fields into one optimized roadmap for developments. While other's have the knowledge of particular fields they are not experts in all and the transition between decisions and fields are not optimal in their cases. Secondly, he will be able to see further into the development making the decisions taken now be fruitful for further developments down the road that will be critical for further success. If Elon does not drive such projects initially the guidepost would probably be wrongly set, and non-optimal process decisions be taken between fields.

As you say, while it is not key for success, and it will also sometimes prove devastating along the way, it will still lessen the likelyhood for failure and speed up the development process in addition to the points made above about the end product(s). Also knowing the pivotal importance of the Tesla bot, why not go with the above?
You missed the MOST important ability only Elon has - and that is to make immediate, snap managerial / financial / organizational / hiring / investment / divestment decisions, following what he finds/ figures out. No need to try and convince a manager, he's both the analyst and the manager with final say.