Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*Some* of that stigma is deserved(in the US, at least, haven’t tried public transit in other places). I’ve had two different encounters with violent people on public transit. One on a city bus where two men were arguing and then one of them pulled out a knife and started threatening everyone and another on VTA where a guy kept walking up to me, yelling at me, punching the walls and demanding I moved(regardless of where I moved to, he would follow).

Never experienced anything similar anywhere other than public transit. I’ll take my car, thank you very much.

This will quickly go off topic, but your poor experience seems to have more to do with the (non) treatment of the mentally ill.

There is also an “efficiency factor” where if you exceed a threshold you get more.
The threshold is defined in the attachment here:
关于调整完善新能源汽车推广应用财政补贴政策的通知
It has different formulas for different weight, Model 3 SR with curb weight 1611kg falls in >1600 category. Where the formula is consumption per 100km is 0.0045*weight + 12.33 = 19.58 (kWh/100km)
Model 3 LR has 600+km range with 75kwh, translate to 12.5kwh/ 100km, beats the threshold by >35%.
SR with less weight should be even better. So they are eligible for 1.1x subsidy. Which would be 27.5k rmb.

Not that it would make much of difference, since Tesla is building GF3 for logistical efficiency and tariff avoidance, not for subsidies.

But, this rule was set to very much looks like only Tesla would take the most advantage of it.
Maybe they are just making sure only the best EVs would get the most subsidies and Tesla just happens to be making them.
only nerdy engineers can come up with this kind of policy. The document is very poorly written, even as native speaker, it took me 3 times to parse it and reach the same conclusion. It might be much easier if they just provide Java/Python source code for the formula.

But I want to say bravo Chinese government for pushing for real innovation. perhaps they realized that after years of protection the domestic car makers remains a bunch of pussies. Now it is time to whip them to shape.

This will quickly go off topic, but your poor experience seems to have more to do with the (non) treatment of the mentally ill.
Precisely. I use public transportation every day (wife gets the M3 for commute) and see my share of such behavior. It has everything to do with the state of mental health care in California/US and very little to do with public transportation itself. The fact that ridership is slanted toward such troubled individuals causes the nexus with the general public.

So imagine Blackberry or Nokia advertising their phones as the "most popular smartphones" ... two years after the introduction of the iPhone? ;)

It's only "technically true" if you use a definition disconnected from the everyday meaning of "popular" - which BTW. is also intentionally disconnected, to dupe people into thinking that their products are indeed still popular.

Technically it's the text book definition of fraud, which might or might not meet the legal definition of fraud.

FTFY

• Funny
Reactions: Lessmog
Excellent translation with highlighting of important points.

But answer me this: Will one ever find a German who is unconditionally satisfied with anything?

First, thanks :)
Second, yes - if we are talking about naturalised Germans (not to veer into politics, but there is a reason I left Germany long time ago and if it were not for immigration to Germany and all the positive effects it has on society my views would be even more pessimistic. Guess, I really am German with my complaining about Germans, am I? :D)

If that has some amount of truth to it, then something is lost in this literal translation (that I also attempted).

I noticed that literally translating the article into English makes it sound much much more positive than reading it in German.

Either way: I really hope for great sales numbers in Germany in March and a huge wake-up call / shock to incumbents. If you read the comments on the Spiegel article you will find a lot of people who claim that a car like the Model 3 will never sell in Germany. It would be so nice to see headlines about Tesla selling more Model 3 than the Germans A4, 3-Series and C-Class in Germany! This could give a little pop to $TSLA, too I would hope :cool:

Do I get to have my commentary read by a robot voice, with an image of a cybernetic brain in a jar? ;)

Krang.jpg

Tesla FUD has dropped dramatically in the German press in the last 6 months - which is a very good development. This is partly due to there being very little political polarization over EVs and Tesla's mission: every political party accepts global warming and recognizes that EVs are the future.

ps :

Meanwhile, this is where some of the GOP senators are at. Seriously.

View attachment 390584
Damn! Can we import some politicians from Europe and export some Republicans before all of our Teslas go overseas?

only nerdy engineers can come up with this kind of policy. The document is very poorly written, even as native speaker, it took me 3 times to parse it and reach the same conclusion. It might be much easier if they just provide Java/Python source code for the formula.

But I want to say bravo Chinese government for pushing for real innovation. perhaps they realized that after years of protection the domestic car makers remains a bunch of pussies. Now it is time to whip them to shape.

Ya. Agree. It was a hard to read document. I especially don't understand the symbol "/" that they used in the table when it comes to how much to compensate for each range.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Ah I know that artist, his username is "sharpwriter" on Deviantart: SharpWriter on DeviantArt
He's made a lot of really awesome artworks like that one. I wonder if he approves of this use of his artwork.

My grandmother has a digital picture frame that we can all submit images to, and which my brother-in-law curates. I keep trying to slip that picture past in the middle of batches of family photos and hoping he doesn't notice ;)

PS. Anecdote: To my occasional good ideas one Italian colleague would always answer: "Fantastic idea". The German one: "I principle, I have nothing against it".
My one time boss when I was working for a German bank described me as "not entirely incompetent". I have treasured his review, after his Bavarian spouse told me he thought I was the best person he and ever seen at my then level. Given the job in question I think he was generous.

FWIW, he drives a Tesla SP100D now. It is the first non-German car he has ever had. FWIW he was Austrian.

First, thanks :)
Second, yes - if we are talking about naturalised Germans (not to veer into politics, but there is a reason I left Germany long time ago and if it were not for immigration to Germany and all the positive effects it has on society my views would be even more pessimistic. Guess, I really am German with my complaining about Germans, am I? :D)

I noticed that literally translating the article into English makes it sound much much more positive than reading it in German.

Either way: I really hope for great sales numbers in Germany in March and a huge wake-up call / shock to incumbents. If you read the comments on the Spiegel article you will find a lot of people who claim that a car like the Model 3 will never sell in Germany. It would be so nice to see headlines about Tesla selling more Model 3 than the Germans A4, 3-Series and C-Class in Germany! This could give a little pop to $TSLA, too I would hope :cool:

The thing is, the title and the first paragraph sets 90% of the tone of any article.

Those parts are 100% positive:

Tesla-Model-3-Performance
Vor diesem Auto zittern Mercedes, BMW und Audi
Schiffsladung um Schiffsladung bringt Tesla sein Model 3 nach Europa. An Bord von Elon Musks Massenmodel: ein ungewöhnliches Bedienkonzept - und viel, viel Platz für die Passagiere.​

Translation:

Tesla Model 3 Performance

This is the car Mercedes, BMW und Audi are dreading

Tesla is landing shipload after shipload of Model 3's in Europe. We were on board of Elon Musk's mass market model: an outside the box user interface and lots of, lots of space for passengers.​

The rest is the usual Spiegel style: glass half empty - but most readers will compensate for that.

But note the first paragraph, it praises spaciousness - the bane of European cars which have to constantly balance on the fine line between narrow streets, dense urban environments and passenger comfort.

This paragraph already sells the car and gets Germans to consider and test drive the Model 3.

"German demand secured." :D

Last edited:
Yes - complete make over of US with robust public transportation and dense urban living will take decades & decades. We don't have that much time.

Confession. I don’t like cars in cities.

However, I love what Tesla are doing, and any greenie who would prefer to see Tesla go away, because they make cars, is a small picture thinker.

More than anything else, Tesla are force scaling the cell industry, driving down the price of mobile and stationary storage. Cells are the new oil, except they are recyclable and with a 15 yr lifespan. Cheap storage is the perfect complement to cheap solar.

Cheap cells will not only power cars, but anything currently sporting an exhaust pipe. Buses, wireless trams, trucks, generators*, earth movers, agriculture tractors etc. They’re our fast ticket to zero emissions for both transport and electricity.

If somebody you (@Singuy) meet is of the “we must return to the cave” mentality, please point out that there are insufficient caves, rather than suggest suicide. Two lives wasted if they are swayed.

*obviously you don’t power a generator with cells, you replace it.

Last edited: