Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Judge Nathan just ordered oral hearing for April 4:

#36 in United States Securities and Exchange Commission v. Musk (S.D.N.Y., 1:18-cv-08865) – CourtListener.com

ALISON J. NATHAN, District Judge:

Both parties have indicated that an evidentiary hearing is not required on Plaintiff’s
Motion for Order to Show Cause. Dkt. Nos. 34_35.

Accordingly, the Court Will decide Plaintiff's motion
Without an evidentiary hearing.

The Court Will, however, hold oral argument,

Which is hereby Seheduled for April 4, 2019 at 2:00 p.m.

SO ORDERED.​

This is (IMHO) good news: Judge Nathan didn't see the SEC's case such a slam-dunk to immediately hold Elon in contempt.

This IMHO almost necessarily means that if to a judge it isn't obvious, how could Elon be held in contempt for clearly and obviously violating the settlement?

She also ordered "oral argument", which I believe means Elon will not have to be there.

Note another detail: if she wanted to decide on a technicality, she could have done so without a hearing. Oral arguments, to me, suggest that she is considering the constitutional arguments - which were certainly presented powerfully by Elon's team.

On the other hand, that razor cuts both ways: she could have dismissed the contempt charge entirely, correct?

On the other hand, that razor cuts both ways: she could have dismissed the contempt charge entirely, correct?

I believe under most scenarios where she'd dismiss the contempt charge she'd have to clarify, i.e. modify the settlement.

That is best done with both parties present, to inquire whether they accept/understand that.

I.e. the only outcome that would be plausible without a hearing is to rule immediately against Elon on grounds of a clear violation of the settlement.

That didn't happen - which IMHO suggests that she probably found the arguments of Elon's team persuasive.

The SEC can still convince her during the oral arguments, so nothing is set into stone yet.

But my guess: the SEC will probably lose the case.

Last edited:
You too might want to be considering a new friend. So many here stating how smart their friends are...and yet...

Makes me appreciate my dumber friends who get it despite not knowing if it’s a 1 or 8 that comes after 3.14. In fact, I’m pretty sure some think 3.14 is the price per ounce of nutmeg.

Even smart folks get hung up on a technology that becomes an ideology, and find it hard to let go. I know it is a shocker.

I think his hang up is that he thinks fuel cells are so great because: you can still “fuel” the car (ugh!), and that means a smaller battery for the given range, and less battery recycling, hence better for the environment. I don’t think he has paid attention to the massive improvement in battery technology compared to the minimum or zero progress with hydrogen fuel cells; or the huge advantage to electric fueling stations vs gas or hydrogen (all the infrastructure to install electric charging stations exists now, minimal costs to transport it electricity to the stationsk, etc).

My point is that this is part of the German resistance to BEVs: the insistence of many that fuel cells stay in the subsidized research mix. Many still consider BEVs some kind of curious and cute toys for the rich, but not practical for real people and not really good for the environment, because gosh all those dead batteries in the landfills. I expect that if we really see huge Tesla M3 sales in Germany, that many like my friend may re-consider. My friend is not anti-BEV, or even anti-Tesla, just pro-hydrogen and pro-German manufacturing. And he doesn’t like touchscreens.

Can anyone explain why China is cutting subsidies when they are/were so hell bent on EV adoption and lowering pollution? The above article seems to suggest something about "boost high-quality development "-- can anybody translate?
I won't worry too much about it. Chinese cities are tightening emissions standard, and the government often issues restrictions on ICE cars on the road if the air quality is bad. Say if you plan to go somewhere on next Wednesday, you can't reply on your car cause if the the air quality would be bad that day, the government can prevent more than half of the cars from getting on the road.

How useful is your car I'd you can't use it half of the time?

EVs are not understand this restrictions.

Tesla is cell starved because, napkin math, 35-40 GWh of current capacity out of GF1 is good for 400-500k worth of cars per year.

To supply 1 million cars in a year, they will need something more like 70-80 GWh.

And that's all assuming that they don't ship any Tesla Semi's. Semi's will eat 1 GWh per 1000 trucks built - North America is a 300k/year market. If they want to provide 10%, then that is 30k trucks / year or 30 GWh/year for Tesla Semi (currently 0).

Tesla could have capacity of 400 GWh instead 40 GWh today, and still be cell starved (my read).

A quickie estimate by @jhm for worldwide consumption of cells is 10 TWh. Using that estimate, the world as total constructed capacity of around 2.5% and is using a little under 2% of the eventual need. The world is cell starved, and will continue to be cell started even with 100% year over year growth rates in cell production for years.

(More details in separate thread, Sizing the worldwide battery market, this forum)

Also, Tesla is very far from tapping into the energy storage market...

Judge Nathan just ordered oral hearing for April 4:

Note another detail: if she wanted to decide on a technicality, she could have done so without a hearing. Oral arguments, to me, suggest that she is considering the constitutional arguments - which were certainly presented powerfully by Elon's team.

You're reading way too much into a very standard procedural Order.

Tesla has sold 573 cars in Norway today. In context Norway total car sales were 148k in 2018. So today Tesla sold 141% of average daily Norway car sales & may have accounted for 50-70% of all cars sold in the country. Obviously driven by quarter end delivery rush, but still very impressive!

Another way to look at it--this quarter is now 49% above the prior-best Tesla quarter in Norway. We've got 4 more delivery days left.

OMG, I am today in Germany and I saw first time Model 3 in person, in real life it is even better than in the pictures. really hot looking car. It's Stuttgart - heart of MB and Porsche
54416634_2782441411780934_4142822992981786624_o.jpg

Even smart folks get hung up on a technology that becomes an ideology, and find it hard to let go. I know it is a shocker.

I think his hang up is that he thinks fuel cells are so great because: you can still “fuel” the car (ugh!), and that means a smaller battery for the given range, and less battery recycling, hence better for the environment. I don’t think he has paid attention to the massive improvement in battery technology compared to the minimum or zero progress with hydrogen fuel cells; or the huge advantage to electric fueling stations vs gas or hydrogen (all the infrastructure to install electric charging stations exists now, minimal costs to transport it electricity to the stationsk, etc).

My point is that this is part of the German resistance to BEVs: the insistence of many that fuel cells stay in the subsidized research mix. Many still consider BEVs some kind of curious and cute toys for the rich, but not practical for real people and not really good for the environment, because gosh all those dead batteries in the landfills. I expect that if we really see huge Tesla M3 sales in Germany, that many like my friend may re-consider. My friend is not anti-BEV, or even anti-Tesla, just pro-hydrogen and pro-German manufacturing. And he doesn’t like touchscreens.

Ugh, I hate that whole landfill argument. Here's some math done (and spelled out) a long time ago pointing out how much cubic meters of material needs to be extracted/refined/consumed to drive with gasoline: ... How Much Was Consumed? - fan of the underdog | Seeking Alpha

It's even more apropos now with the model 3 and its smaller battery pack that goes further with a smaller pack than an S85.