Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Buying this AM. Closed out a couple red sold puts and converted that cash into shares and Oct 750s. Keeping a good sized chunk of cash on hand. I'd probably be more aggressive but my job situation is iffy right now and I wasn't smart enough to go to cash back when TSLA was at ATH when I could have retired. lol, oh well.

I figure if I want to puke while hitting the buy button that's a good sign.

Increasing production in spite of pandemic shortages, soon to open GF in Texas and Germany, and as supply chain improves production costs are dropping, so hence TSLA drops too.
One more huge reason TSLA remains down-- oil prices and hence gas prices are rising, so Tesla's are cheaper to drive. They are cheaper to drive so TSLA must be cheaper too.

Not to rain on the optimism parade but that assumes the past trend of high Tesla EV demand continues. There's a lot of other stuff going on in the world that could change things like increased EV competition, inflation, rising of interest rates, loss of stock market wealth effect, reduced value of employee stock options, eventual evening out or all out collapse of an inflated housing market, paying off government debt, the Fed bond buying, Ukraine war aid, isolation of the global markets (Russia, China is next), rising oil and natgas prices, ...

I would be surprise if Tesla's EV waitlist (demand) didn't significantly soften this year.
Softening has an impact on pressure to grow (and even then Tesla is not selling in all regions, so there is more demand out there).
A shorter waitlist can be a good thing for consumers (lower lead time, attract people who need a car now/soon, results in increased recognized demand).
Lack of a waitlist would be an issue (production > demand).

Not to rain on the optimism parade but that assumes the past trend of high Tesla EV demand continues. There's a lot of other stuff going on in the world that could change things like increased EV competition, inflation, rising of interest rates, loss of stock market wealth effect, reduced value of employee stock options, eventual evening out or all out collapse of an inflated housing market, paying off government debt, the Fed bond buying, Ukraine war aid, isolation of the global markets (Russia, China is next), rising oil and natgas prices, ...

I would be surprise if Tesla's EV waitlist (demand) didn't significantly soften this year.
People been holding off on buying cars bc of covid market fears I believe, along with wondering about EV or waiting for the right range to emerge. Fact is, mobility does not disappear. Whether folks are in the used or new market, the demand is sustainable and could drive EV prices up further as the realities sink in en mass.

I fully expect fuel prices to rise. The shift to EVs only started and barely is reaching 2 digits, so the steepest part of the S-curve is ahead of us still. And it won't take too long for investors to figure this out. Plus, Tesla has the 2 in the back pocket and margins going stratospheric and now setting new benchmarks for efficiency. (Edit: typo)

Last edited:
People must be so fed up with oil
prices and oil politics and oil wars, the disgust should
direct them to EVs.
The cost in human lives and blood is awful. Yet so much hatred for EVs, just to go to the grocery store. If the smog, and carbon monoxide is not important to people, nor carbon dioxide warming the globe, at least the direct cost of operating an EV should be enough of a driver (pun intended).

View attachment 773232

So now its a race between GigaShaghai II and GigaBerlin.
My money is on China ;)

feeling a lot like March 2020 ... but not really the same situation ... in for a final 9 shares at $700 ... i never learn my lesson
I bought 36 shares yesterday and 9 today for 45 total ...

I had a limit order for $700 back in Dec 21 which i cancelled assuming we would never see $700 again ... well here we are 2 months later and the $700 price hit .... need to learn more patience ... I was able to dollar cost average at $765 per share vs $700 per share if i held tight ...
so my lack of patience cost $3000 ... but in the long run it might only equate to one share ;)

People been holding off on buying cars bc of covid market fears I believe, along with wondering about EV or waiting for the right range to emerge. Fact is, mobility does not disappear. Whether folks are in the used or new market, the demand is sustainable and could drive EV prices up further as the realities sink in en mass.

I fully expect fuel prices to rise. The shift to EVs only started and barely is reaching 2 digits, so the steepest part of the S-curve is ahead of us still. And it won't take too long for investors to figure this out. Plus, Tesla has the 2 in the back pocket and margins going stratospheric and not setting new benchmarks for efficiency.
Personally, we're in the market for another Model 3 this summer. However $45,000 for a base model 3 is a hard pill to swallow. A small price decrease ($2000?) and I would pull the trigger today. With $4/gal gas (And the prospect of it going even higher), it doesn't make sense to buy anything else.

Tell me, were you also surprised when you found out yesterday that used Teslas are selling for more than the cost of a new one, due of the long, long wating list? :p

#KNOWDEMAND

Personally, we're in the market for another Model 3 this summer. However $45,000 for a base model 3 is a hard pill to swallow. A small price decrease ($2000?) and I would pull the trigger today. With $4/gal gas (And the prospect of it going even higher), it doesn't make sense to buy anything else.
I don't know off hand, but I think that $45K is not too far from general vehicle Ave Selling Price. When volumes decrease with ICE, so do the margins so prices must also rise with ICE. The day when ICE and EVs are at parity might even come sooner as a result. For all I know, are we there yet?

"In the United States, the average selling price for a new light vehicle came to around 38,960 U.S. dollars in 2020. New light vehicles were about 5.4 percent more expensive in 2020 than in 2019."