Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they want to pay more and wait longer for a better car? Gives people an option? Can’t just give a better car to old orders.
Everything in terms of information has pointed to the Austin-Y being identical in specs. Consumers wouldn't be getting a "better car". The only way Ross's tweet makes any sense is if there's a specific Austin-made trim level beyond Fremont's.

I have zero clue what Ross is talking about here. It makes little to no sense for Tesla to be reaching out about taking delivery of the Austin-made Y when the Y is sold out for the year.

This part especially makes no sense " It has the new AMD chip and they are marketing it as in house made tesla designed battery pack with the new cells. - they are claiming this is a substantial improvement! "

So either Ross is completely full of it or there is a new trim version of the Y coming that is only for Austin-made Y's. Because there's no way they could guarantee someone would be getting a Austin-Y verses a Fremont-Y since Austin has only just begun production.

Ross claims that he got one of these emails from Tesla

Ross claims that he got one of these emails from Tesla
Yes I know he's claiming it's from an email. Ross should just post the email because it feels like he's leaving out key information and summarizing which is creating confusion.

One other possibility is that because the Austin-Y doesn't technically fit into the same specs as the Fremont-Y, such as weight, etc,....that Tesla can't sell the Austin-Y to current orders on a technicality.......but even then I'm stretching to make the logic make sense there

I have zero clue what Ross is talking about here. It makes little to no sense for Tesla to be reaching out about taking delivery of the Austin-made Y when the Y is sold out for the year.

This part especially makes no sense " It has the new AMD chip and they are marketing it as in house made tesla designed battery pack with the new cells. - they are claiming this is a substantial improvement! "

So either Ross is completely full of it or there is a new trim version of the Y coming that is only for Austin-made Y's. Because there's no way they could guarantee someone would be getting a Austin-Y verses a Fremont-Y since Austin has only just begun production.
Would love it if there's a higher end 4680 plaid trim, but there won't be. Andrew is simply confused or this is fake.

If there is a much higher end trim, I definitely support pulling existing owners forward to do two things.

1) Make me and Tesla money. Much higher margins is Austin can produce top of the line exclusively.

2) Expand the EV market to more regular folks. Buy these MY's back at trade in, sell for a reasonable amount to someone who can't afford new, keep a small slice of yet more profit.

When no real used market exists, it makes sense to try and create on. Just thinking out loud here.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Perhaps some of us need to remember that Ford accomplished the greatest feat in production history during WW 2 when the built a B 24 bomber every hour for years. Much of what is said of Ford now was true then. Also they changed car racing when they went to Le Mans in 1966. Company dna does exist.

Oh please! That was 60-80 years ago, Ford is a completely different company now. I should know, I bought a 2010 F-150 from them and every step of the purchase and ownership process was painful. The best thing I can say about it is it's generally reliable. That's important but I expect that. The engineering design decisions they made on this truck belong in 1980! The pace of positive change at Ford (and the rest) is embarrassingly slow. Glacial even.

Corporate DNA mutates over time, ideally for the better, but it appears Ford's DNA (along with all the other legacy makers) has mutated in the wrong direction. This is clearly evidenced by Tesla's ability to conquer the substantial barriers to entry in the automotive market. This would not have been possible if automakers DNA had been improving over the last 60-80 years. Instead, what happened is they got fat and lazy. That's why their products are a terrible value and so last century.

Even their Mach-e is catering to customers who don't even know what kind of value they should be getting because those customers have no experience with anything substantially better. Mach-e customers are accustomed to crappy cars. The Mach-e should retail for $20K less but Ford has no room to cut prices. The Mach-e only good because their ICE offerings are so pathetic. Yet the automotive media continues to give them accolades. If Tesla had produced the Mach-e, the automotive press would pan it heavily as they focused on it's terrible road holding and highlighted how it's sold as a sporty car but it's a dog in the corners and becomes gutless after 5 seconds of acceleration. Yet the media glosses over these very real and very fundamental flaws of this very expensive turd every time they say how wonderful it is.

This is an investment forum and investments have a way of going south unless you can rip the blinders off and see the bigger picture. Tesla has DNA that is in another league from Ford. What Ford did before 1970 has very little to do with who they are today. Don't fool yourself.

Perhaps some of us need to remember that Ford accomplished the greatest feat in production history during WW 2 when the built a B 24 bomber every hour for years. Much of what is said of Ford now was true then. Also they changed car racing when they went to Le Mans in 1966. Company dna does exist.

We know Ford can produce amazing results given a healthy cash flow (amazing trucks for example), but I suspect those programs mentioned were paid for by US Gov't.

EVs are not self funding. I repeat, this EV program has negative ROI for a long, long time. Although, they can pump the stock with big plans as we've seen with other EV plays today, I believe it will be a long slide to the bottom financially. The execs pull their parachutes and Ford ICE melts away leaving some smaller version of itself. Full disclosure: I don't own F, and not planning.

However, their EV strategy (TBD) might be a med-term play. For example, F stock is up today, and TSLA is down.
Let the games begin!

Those same "ford" executives still made a better first EV than Tesla. The door design on the mache is still better than the MY.
Yes... a door handle is THE differentiating tech that determines the overall rank of an EV... not range, efficiency, access to charging, safety rating, UI design, ability to receive OTA updates, etc...

Hubris is a dangerous path, it was not the only thing on the mache better than the MY.

And what might those other things be?

And just like that.......Ross makes a fool of himself.

He posted a bit from the email from the sales person and they're talking about the 15.5V battery that is Tesla made. They're not talking about a Austin-Y with 4680 cells.

It's also clear that this was simply a run of the mill sales call because we're in the last month of the quarter and Tesla has started the process of matching some Y's where delivery wasn't taken to new customers.

That was so long ago you it was a century ago lmao. And regarding Ferrari that is not that great a feat, a mass production company throwing their much larger might against a boutique company, yea that's not really excellence that is power. Now if they could have stayed in a Le Mans and strung together a legacy of winning you would be on to something like Porsche. A small brand makes Ford vs Ferrari look like a one off which it is.

• Informative
Reactions: DFibRL8R
Setting aside all the back and forth.

Hopefully this means we’ll get some more meaningful information from Ford about their margins and profitability. I am super curious how the Lightning and the Mach E are in terms of profit. Right now this stuff is buried too deep. Of course they can still play some shell games to make things seem cherry, but ultimately more fine tuned detail is good.