Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife, Michelle has been trading $TSLA price swings in a 7-digit all-Tesla Roth IRA (with Roth "margin" [no loans just don't have to wait for cash settlement]) for almost 2 years now. On Friday, she and I decided after the +18% run-up in one week that $900 for $TSLA (triple options expiration) with ~$900 "max pain" inflicted by the Market Makers on the options traders was a good short term sell price ($901.88). Thus we moved this entire account to cash before the closing bell. We had also decided we didn't want to be sitting on this pile of shares over the weekend, fearing that Putin Hitler would "double down" on his Ukrainian war crimes. Now, we've never sat on so much cash before, so it feels weird to me. She says, "cash is king!"

We still have more shares than this Roth in other accounts, including all our shares with a $6-$10 split-adjusted basis from 2011-2012. The wife thinks $TSLA will see < $800 again, so if/when that happens, we'll capture ~12% extra shares.

I figure that "worst case" if this proves to be bad timing, it will give us an opportunity to finally diversify away from our 80% $TSLA position concentration. If $TSLA runs up away from $900, then we'll just load up on some of the beaten-down large cap tech stocks at the appropriate time and ride them back up, instead.

I'm evaluating TD Ameritrade's "Think or swim" desktop trading platform to replace Fidelity's Active Trader Pro. Would anyone using it care to share the most useful features for you? It seems to have a very steep learning curve!

Thanks!
Russ
What's been her result vs buy and hold over the last two years?

Kinda, but this one only goes half-way to the orbit. ;)
Would Elon put a retired Tesla Semi prototype (w/ Optimus Sub-Prime at the wheel?) onto Starship as a test load for an early mission?

We can only hope that, if so, such an event would happen to coincide with the official product launch of Semi (and/or Optimus).

Nearly every Brazilian taxi. The aftermarket installations put the tanks under the chassis behind rear axle or in the trunk. They’re crude, and normally fill with attachment under beside the engine. Bizarrely accidents are pretty rare. I have never seen one and I pass one of the large filling stations multiple times every day.
Phew, aftermarket, ok, still sucks though. Crazy dangerous.

Reactions: jbcarioca
My wife, Michelle has been trading $TSLA price swings in a 7-digit all-Tesla Roth IRA (with Roth "margin" [no loans just don't have to wait for cash settlement]) for almost 2 years now. On Friday, she and I decided after the +18% run-up in one week that $900 for $TSLA (triple options expiration) with ~$900 "max pain" inflicted by the Market Makers on the options traders was a good short term sell price ($901.88). Thus we moved this entire account to cash before the closing bell. We had also decided we didn't want to be sitting on this pile of shares over the weekend, fearing that Putin Hitler would "double down" on his Ukrainian war crimes. Now, we've never sat on so much cash before, so it feels weird to me. She says, "cash is king!"

We still have more shares than this Roth in other accounts, including all our shares with a $6-$10 split-adjusted basis from 2011-2012. The wife thinks $TSLA will see < $800 again, so if/when that happens, we'll capture ~12% extra shares.

I figure that "worst case" if this proves to be bad timing, it will give us an opportunity to finally diversify away from our 80% $TSLA position concentration. If $TSLA runs up away from $900, then we'll just load up on some of the beaten-down large cap tech stocks at the appropriate time and ride them back up, instead.

I'm evaluating TD Ameritrade's "Think or swim" desktop trading platform to replace Fidelity's Active Trader Pro. Would anyone using it care to share the most useful features for you? It seems to have a very steep learning curve!

Thanks!
Russ
May inflation be kind to you

Also keep in mind long term vs short term capital gains tax rate impact, and the thresholds on capital gains on the federal level that adjust the rate a bit. I found 2021-2022 Capital Gains Tax Rates & Calculator - NerdWallet useful.

I don't use think or swim, but I like the phone apps option rolling feature as well as the cost basis view, both are really useful to not shoot yourself in the foot too much.

Last edited:

Thanks!
Russ
I could see doing that at $1200, but $900 seems a little low for that gamble. Good luck.

Also keep in mind long term vs short term capital gains tax rate impact, and the thresholds on capital gains on the federal level that adjust the rate a bit

They explicitly said they're investing in a Roth IRA, so LT vs ST is irrelevant to them until they are retired.

That said, if they went to cash in hopes of rebuying shares lower this year, I hope they're at least using the cash to sell some puts- this way they are at least making something on the money if it doesn't drop like they expect (not an advice)

Thanks!
Russ
Since Schwab purchased TDA it's only a question of time before ToS is abandoned. They have already closed some (or all) TDA branch offices and are now closing some TDA accounts. So you might spend a bunch of time learning it only to have it go away. FWIW, I only use it as a stock ticker. Mostly it keeps asking you to sell TSLA.

Thanks!
Russ
Personally I would have sold some 3 month out calls and used that money to sell covered puts. You will get 12% more shares if Tesla stays flat or move in either way.

Since Schwab purchased TDA it's only a question of time before ToS is abandoned. They have already closed some (or all) TDA branch offices and are now closing some TDA accounts. So you might spend a bunch of time learning it only to have it go away. FWIW, I only use it as a stock ticker. Mostly it keeps asking you to sell TSLA.
Generally Schwab preserves account histories and even account numbering, sometimes. I've been through two of their acquisitions. I ended with better service and lower costs. They were quite good with USAA purchase, but there was a learning curve.

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed and wtlloyd
Last edited:
May inflation be kind to you

Also keep in mind long term vs short term capital gains tax rate impact, and the thresholds on capital gains on the federal level that adjust the rate a bit. I found 2021-2022 Capital Gains Tax Rates & Calculator - NerdWallet useful.

I don't use think or swim, but I like the phone apps option rolling feature as well as the cost basis view, both are really useful to not shoot yourself in the foot too much.
Roth is tax advantaged. All gains tax free and no taxes when selling shares.

Thanks!
Russ
Elon's companies are making the world a better, safer place. Transfer to renewable energy for transportation, energy storage and distribution. Tesla has single handedly spurred the advancement of electrical vehicles without compromise that all other manufactureres are now scrambling to follow. The shift away from oil and gas to renewable energy will create a new World order limiting the totalitarian governments' power and eliminating wars and violence over oil and gas reserves that have been going on since oil was first pumped out of the ground. Tesla is slowing the rate of global warming that we may even now have a slim chance of avoiding complete catastrophe. SpaceX helping fight for democracy by sending donated Starlink satellites and Powerwalls to Ukraine. The worst case scenario is for me to lose hope in Tesla and simply load up on some other beaten-down large cap tech stocks. But that's just me. For me, there is no better place to keep my hard earned funds than in Tesla, to support the Mission.

YouTubers Giga Berlin / GF4Tesla (@Gf4Tesla) and Wu Wa (@bentv_sh) said on Thursday that Tesla had revoked their drone overflight permits for the company’s Gigafactories in Berlin and Shanghai.