Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mobile charger cable removal might be temporary, due to supply shortages. Better to say, "no longer included" then to say "we owe you one, they're on back-order".
Another possibility - an unreasonable price increase or a series of them, by a vendor, or vendors colluding, has pissed off Tesla and this could be short-term pushback. Possibly there are a limited choice of vendors for this high-performance item and alternates are unavailable in the short term. Procurement may have goofed and allowed a squeeze to come about.

Another margin trigger? Tesla removes "free" mobile connector - it's available for purchase for $400 in the Tesla store (apparently with additional adapters, per Elon).

I usually stay in house rentals for trips (vrbo/airbnb). All of them needed the mobile charger. Some supplied 240v, a few only had 120v, but none had a Tesla charger. I also use the mobile charger at home because it's probably $10k to run 240v from the electric panel to the garage, vs a $70 switch that shares the dryer outlet.

As an investor though, I'm happy for Tesla to reduce costs. As long as the market tolerates it, I'm all for the $400 extra revenue for those who need the mobile charger and the $100 savings per car.

I usually stay in house rentals for trips (vrbo/airbnb). All of them needed the mobile charger. Some supplied 240v, a few only had 120v, but none had a Tesla charger. I also use the mobile charger at home because it's probably $10k to run 240v from the electric panel to the garage, vs a $70 switch that shares the dryer outlet.

As an investor though, I'm happy for Tesla to reduce costs. As long as the market tolerates it, I'm all for the $400 extra revenue for those who need the mobile charger and the $100 savings per car.
When you trade your current Tesla, just keep the old cord. That’s what I did. I was thinking of trading again, but with the price increases and decontenting I think I’ll pass.

It's MORE expensive because it's 500 PLUS installation. A Nema plug is like 20 bucks plus installation. I rather save 480 bucks when given the option as to me their performance is similar (as in both will provide me with a full charge while I sleep).

All else being equal, a NEMA plug costs a bit more for installation because it requires one more conductor for the length of the circuit, 3 plus ground, Wall Connector requires 2 conductors plus ground. The NEMA solution is less robust and less efficient because the current must go through two removeable plugs (the wall plug and the adapter plug) and requires charging for more hours which increases charging overhead (it prevents the vehicle from going to sleep). I would recommend against a $20 NEMA outlet, good ones cost a lot more than $20! Cheap ones are built really crappy and more than a few houses have burned down charging EV's from cheaply made NEMA outlets.

Both solutions cost roughly the same over the first several years (NEMA has the initial cost advantage because the WC costs more upfront), the exact amount depends upon the length of the circuit that must be installed and how much you drive, but the Wall Connector will likely be more durable and more efficient over longer periods of time which makes it the better value. It generates less heat for fewer hours. If you sell your house it will probably add more value than it's actual cost, so that's a win too.

I've done it both ways at both of our residences and the Wall Connector is more robust, cable management is simplified which increases safety, and the hard wired connections are less subject to issues. For the last three years we've had Wall Connectors at both locations and they are superior to using a NEMA plug that generates heat and has copper contacts that become heavily oxidized in a year or two. I still occasionally use a 4 year old NEMA plug but it doesn't inspire the same level of confidence even though it's a quality outlet and was properly installed. The oxidation/extra resistance problem with outlets is real, I've never seen one that didn't give off significant amounts of heat when charging continuously. As you know, heat = wasted electricity and a car that doesn't go to sleep = wasted electricity. A charging car never sleeps.

Mobile charger cable removal might be temporary, due to supply shortages. Better to say, "no longer included" then to say "we owe you one, they're on back-order".
Another possibility - an unreasonable price increase or a series of them, by a vendor, or vendors colluding, has pissed off Tesla and this could be short-term pushback. Possibly there are a limited choice of vendors for this high-performance item and alternates are unavailable in the short term. Procurement may have goofed and allowed a squeeze to come about.
I was just going to make that point, wanted to make sure no one else had. Especially likely if Tesla can't keep enough inventory to supply those buying them after purchase now. It certainly makes more sense to remove them from the purchase of the car, especially if only a limited number of buyers use them, than it does to hold up car sales over it. And as someone else mentioned, this should address the issue of availability for those that do want to buy one.

Just the same, much like the Homelink issue, it's not really a good look, especially right after a big price increase. The Homelink one IMO is a little worse, since it's a feature that is typically standard in far less expensive vehicles, at least in higher trim packages (for example the Kia EV6). Bad look to "nickel and dime" customers on a premium vehicle in these price ranges.

Last edited:
The Homelink one IMO is a little worse, lsince it's a feature that is typically standard in far less expensive vehicles, at least in higher trim packages. Bad look to "nickel and dime" customers on a premium vehicle in these price ranges.
Plus homelink requires a service appointment, making busy service centers even busier. Should be much easier to do it at the factory.

All else being equal, a NEMA plug costs a bit more for installation because it requires one more conductor for the length of the circuit, 3 plus ground, Wall Connector requires 2 conductors plus ground. The NEMA solution is less robust and less efficient because the current must go through two removeable plugs (the wall plug and the adapter plug) and requires charging for more hours which increases charging overhead (it prevents the vehicle from going to sleep). I would recommend against a $20 NEMA outlet, good ones cost a lot more than $20! Cheap ones are built really crappy and more than a few houses have burned down charging EV's from cheaply made NEMA outlets.

Both solutions cost roughly the same over the first several years (NEMA has the initial cost advantage because the WC costs more upfront), the exact amount depends upon the length of the circuit that must be installed and how much you drive, but the Wall Connector will likely be more durable and more efficient over longer periods of time which makes it the better value. It generates less heat for fewer hours. If you sell your house it will probably add more value than it's actual cost, so that's a win too.

I've done it both ways at both of our residences and the Wall Connector is more robust, cable management is simplified which increases safety, and the hard wired connections are less subject to issues. For the last three years we've had Wall Connectors at both locations and they are superior to using a NEMA plug that generates heat and has copper contacts that become heavily oxidized in a year or two. I still occasionally use a 4 year old NEMA plug but it doesn't inspire the same level of confidence even though it's a quality outlet and was properly installed. The oxidation/extra resistance problem with outlets is real, I've never seen one that didn't give off significant amounts of heat when charging continuously. As you know, heat = wasted electricity and a car that doesn't go to sleep = wasted electricity. A charging car never sleeps.
Agree with this other than the NEMA 6-15, 6-20, 10-30 (sus) and 6-50 are all 240V 3 wire, like a WC, and work with the UMC.
Local code may may require GFCI breaker for an outlet ($85 more for a 50A), plus the outlet and coverplate, which can soak up the price difference between WC and UMC.

Mobile Connector

Reactions: Ogre and wtlloyd
Tesla really is the next Apple.

First Apple took the charger out of the box, now Tesla is taking the charger out of the box!

Note that Teslas have never had headphone jacks! Bluetooth only since day 1!

Soon, Tesla will start putting a notch on the center screens of the cars!

Watch out, Tim Apple! Elon Tesla is coming for you!
There is a notch in the middle of the windshield where the camera is. Just like on the iPhone.

In the case where a friend or family member needs a charge while at your house, guess what?

If you live in the US, chances are, it's another Tesla!

On other Tesla forums I am constantly seeing self-proclaimed EV experts recommend that people install a charge solution from a third party vendor with a J1772 connector on it "because it's compatible with ALL EV's", but this is misguided thinking.

1) In the US, most EV's sold are Tesla's so an adapter would ne needed with most EV's. A Tesla Wall Connector can charge all EV's with a J1772 adapter.
2) The Tesla Wall Connector costs less and is higher quality than most 3rd party charge solutions.
3) The Tesla Wall Connector charges faster than most 3rd party charge solutions.
We have one each, tesla home charger and L2 Siemens versicharge . We charge both our teslas on those. Our Volt friend loves to charge up when he visits and I even let him when powered off the powerwalls since his battery is small and he avoids using gas on the way back.

Last edited:
Agree with this other than the NEMA 6-15, 6-20, 10-30 (sus) and 6-50 are all 240V 3 wire, like a WC, and work with the UMC.
Local code may may require GFCI breaker for an outlet ($85 more for a 50A), plus the outlet and coverplate, which can soak up the price difference between WC and UMC.

That's true but the NEMA 14-50 is the most common receptacle for charging on a 50 amp circuit and the one most people install and it requires 4 wires to meet code, unlike the Wall Connector. And good point on the GFCI breaker.

I think most people bought a tesla wall charger with their car. It's an expensive option people didn't have to go with since a dryer plug plus the mobile connector will do. However it appears that maybe over 90% of the people got the wall connector.

I’ve used the mobile charger plugged into 120v at home to charge my Model Y since I bought it. I have a Wall Charger but have not had the opportunity to install it yet.

I doubt Musk is lying about the statistics though. A lot of people think a wall charger is required. Lots of folks don’t have spare 220v outlets and installing a new 220v outlet is only marginally less expensive than the wall charger.
I find Musk’s claim hard to believe. No one, not a single owner I know, bought the wall charger. All use the mobile charging cable. That's what I've done for both of my teslas over 6 years. Also, no, it isn't the same price to install a wall charger and a nema 14-50 outlet. The outlet cost me $30 in parts and one hour of electrician time. Far less than even buying the wall charger.

Of the people buying wall chargers, how many are doing it because they aren't informed about using an outlet?

I see this as a greedy move by Tesla, in line with Apple, which is not a favorable comparison in my view.

I drive very little so I hope this solar roof kit becomes available for my Model 3 ordered for July delivery.

I don't trust that one bit after seeing them say you can charge while driving and that it's end user installable. No EV I know of will charge while driving from the normal charge port and any user installed product that doesn't use the external charge port would be plugged into the 12v systems.

Just smells like snake oil to me.

Last edited:
From a safety standpoint, I would hope folks would purchase heavy duty 14-50 receptacle adn not the cheap one you can find at a big box store. The heavy duty runs about $85 and will protect your home better as it is designed to handle the high voltage electrons for long periods of time.

full disclosure: I installed the wall charger altho I certainly do not need it.