Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it is closer to 31k. This article shows Tesla owns 48k bitcoins with a total investment of $1.5B pulled from this site which tracks bitcoin investments by company.

PSA, Lex gives a great interview of the CEO of Microstrategy (top company holding bitcoin) and they talk about many things as well as Tesla and bitcoin.
The impairment price has nothing to do with how much they paid or how much it is currently worth. It is based on the the lowest price since they bought it. Which is closer to $28k.

Last edited:
A lot of details are needed to judge the factory by it's price. It's about 2.5mil squareft on a 6.8m squareft worth of land. This is about 30% smaller than the original giga shanghai plot of land. But given the amount of time it saves with the whole supply chain shortage thing in construction material and expense, it might be worth it. It's up to Tesla to decide
Highly unlikely. Tesla's product is the factory itself. Instead of having to remove all the machinery they can't use and then shoehorn in the machinery they need to install I suspect it is better to start with a clean slate. Especially at the price point the Saleen factory is going for. For reference the Fremont factory was purchased for $42M vs the current bid for the Saleen factory starting at $360M.

Highly unlikely. Tesla's product is the factory itself. Instead of having to remove all the machinery they can't use and then shoehorn in the machinery they need to install I suspect it is better to start with a clean slate. Especially at the price point the Saleen factory is going for. For reference the Fremont factory was purchased for $42M vs the current bid for the Saleen factory starting at $360M.
It's incomplete, may just be an empty box for hell we know. Also you are comparing an abandon factory at the low of the recession to a factory built recently with high labor/material cost. Giga Shanghai didn't cost Tesla 42M but like 15 X that so why would you think 360M is too much?

If it's an empty box, Tesla may be interested just for the sake of saving time as they can modify it quickly to how they want it while skipping all the government bureaucracy and construction.

It's incomplete, may just be an empty box for hell we know. Also you are comparing an abandon factory at the low of the recession to a factory built recently with high labor/material cost. Giga Shanghai didn't cost Tesla 42M but like 15 X that so why would you think 360M is too much?

If it's an empty box, Tesla may be interested just for the sake of saving time as they can modify it quickly to how they want it while skipping all the government bureaucracy and construction.
The land for giga Shanghai was purchased for approximately $140M South China morning post article on Shanghai land purchase

In Nov 2021 Tesla announced $188M expansion to giga shanghai Cnbc article on giga Shanghai expansion

Most recently Tesla has plans to build a new plant near the existing Shanghai facility with a 500k vehicle production capacity. Cost unknown. Reuters article on new production factory near shanghai

Not impossible that Tesla purchases this incomplete Saleen factory for $360M, but I think it's unlikely given Teslas current expansion plans in China. I think it's more likely we hear of new factory locations in other parts of the world

Reactions: Paul_SF
Just you guys wait until lagacy auto comes out with real EVs!

Lagacy:

DC charging may not work on AWD bz4x when the temperature is below 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

Just you guys wait until lagacy auto comes out with real EVs!

Lagacy:

Out of Spec did a review on the BZZT and the very last thing he did was try and "fast charge" it. It wasn't pretty. I think Toyota has a little ways to go. He was trying to top it off but eventually just pulled the plug and left at 99% SOC.

1652055781837.png

Maxes out at ~85 kW and drops below 50 kW at 50% SOC. His suggestion was basically that it's a solid city-car... personally if I wanted a city car I'd get a used BMW i3 for half the cost.

Source:

I dont see why anyone should be worried about Elon being distracted by leading multiple companies at once.

There are plenty of CEOs now and in the past who oversee companies that make a very wide variety of products, or have successfully controlled multiple companies. Elon’s efforts are simply spread across different legal/financial entities, but they are all basically fall under the same category of “Elon likes making cool stuff”. Tesla itself has widely disparate divisions (Vehicles, Solar, Energy Storage, Cells, Supercharger Network, AI/FSD, Chip design, Optimus, designing industrial machinery, Insurance, HVAC etc) and I dont hear anyone complaining that all these product initiatives are too many or distractions.

In the end, is there really any difference in terms of leadership for Elon between having multiple companies vs having the exact same companies existing as subsidiaries of Tesla? The slight inconvenience of having to have a few extra relationships to manage (multiple boards, shareholder groups) is likely more than outweighed by the legal and financial advantages of having seperate companies, not to mention the controlling interest advantages and not having to deal with SEC etc.

If you ever wanted Jonas to let you know he’s still clueless and an idiot…..there’s your proof.

Or if you prescribe to the notion that Wall St is gaming TSLA’s metric, such as PEG, look no further than a Tesla “Bull” raising his 2022 EPS estimate while lowering his 2023 EPS estimate. His 2023 EPS estimate is less than $1 higher than what’s he’s estimating for 2022

Last edited:
If you ever wanted Jonas to let you know he’s still clueless and an idiot…..there’s your proof.

Or if you prescribe to the notion that Wall St is gaming TSLA’s metric, such as PEG, look no further than a Tesla “Bull” raising his 2022 EPS estimate while lowering his 2023 EPS estimate. His 2023 EPS estimate is less than $1 higher than what’s he’s estimating for 2022
Out of curiosity what was Jonas's price target for the 2nd Q in 22 1 year ago? Did he have a 1000 price target or 900? or X?

Well Jonas is interesting but I wouldn't say clueless. He's changed tunes a few times. He's also been inside tesla factories and met with the leadership teams more than we ever have.
If you read through his numbers on the last page, he’s either clueless or intentionally making TSLA’s PEG look much higher than it should be.
Out of curiosity what was Jonas's price target for the 2nd Q in 22 1 year ago? Did he have a 1000 price target or 900? or X?
I believe he’s had the 1300 PT for 6 months or so and it was 900 before that. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong though

Reactions: FireMedic
JHC

Rogozin (head of Roscosmos - Russian civilian space agency) has gone full-blown lunatic since the war began.
Uh, if you've ever followed Rogozin (he was once the Deputy Prime Minister of Russia) you would know he's been a lunatic for decades.

He's the famous source of the quote about how the Americans should send astronauts to the ISS on trampolines.