Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No argument that no paint saves $. And there's been a couple comments about they'd "offer" wraps to some degree.

But have we seen any evidence Tesla has (or is even working on) a fully automated, cheap, high quality, method of wrapping vehicles?

Because that'd be a massive industry disruption- and an extremely complex engineering solve given even manual applications are often difficult to get right.
If they could do it at the panel level, the complexity would be significantly less. One of the biggest challenges with current wraps and PPF is working around the joints, moldings, handles, lights, trim, etc. on a fully assembled vehicle. You remove what you can and cut around what you can’t.

Protective films are plastic. They can be both formed and applied in a single process using current Tesla technology. If they want to do it, they can.

Do it for the same price as aftermarket, but on the production line.
The best part is no part, the best process is no process. Adding wraps, no matter how applied, will slow production and add inventory and production line costs. One of the main selling points for wraps is the large variety of color and finish options.

Worth the read and here's a meaty bit of data from June

Screenshot 2022-07-10 12.51.47 PM.png

Berlin Long Range (non performance) Y seen in German showrooms and have also been delivered to Sixt:

Sixt has supposedly ordered several hundred Y:

Woke up this morning with this email from Twitter. Never received FUD email. Who is this Greg Wester guy? Have algos turned against Elon because of the breakup that I am getting this in my Twitter feed? (I don’t believe in coincidences)

View attachment 827104
Elon managed to have MSM and social media against him now.
I was receiving way too may Twitter emails daily so deleted my account when I saw it was only 1 click away instead of clicking the 10 different email notifications to disable them one by one.

Why would Twitter's Board of Directors and even their shareholders want to force a sell to someone no longer interested in buying? Sure there is a 30% premium today, however that is short term and compromises the long term gains. It looks like Twitter's Board and shareholders think Twitter will never be valued at more than Elon's original conditional offer of $44B. Speaks for itself. Twitter's Board should be running for the gates to lock out Elon, not to force him to buy.

Why would Twitter's Board of Directors and even their shareholders want to force a sell to someone no longer interested in buying? Sure there is a 30% premium today, however that is short term and compromises the long term gains. It looks like Twitter's Board and shareholders think Twitter will never be valued at more than Elon's original conditional offer of $44B. Speaks for itself. Twitter's Board should be running for the gates to lock out Elon, not to force him to buy.

Because the price is WAY higher than they have a shot in hell of getting anywhere else. Elon's deal is the only thing that has kept TWTR stock price from crashing to the low 20s, given what other social media stocks have done.

TWTR appears to be pretty poorly run, compared to it's peers, and hasn't been able to monetize their userbase like Facebook, Google, etc. etc. If I were a TWTR shareholder, I would not have much faith in the current board+C-suite+middle management being able to change that trajectory, so I would want t force Elon to buy at $54.20 if I thought I had a good enough legal position.

Elon and Twitter lawyering up...

Would they actually do this if it was just about price negotiation?
Multiple sources have said that the agreement has a "Performance" clause that could be used to force Elon to complete the sale. I've said before, with lots of disagreement from this forum, this is going to turn into a huge $hi% show with litigation that could take years to settle. I'd guess that Twitter and Elon will come to some agreement where Elon will pay a "kill" fee that will be greater than the 1 billion that exists in the contract. From what I understand, the kill fee from the contact was based on his ability to find financing, which he did so it no longer applies. IF Elon really had a problem with "bot" accounts, he should have investigated this before extending any offer. He failed to do his due diligence and IMHO underestimated the issues with regards to content moderation. In addition, his bid was simply too high and I have a feeling that after talking to multiple sources he realized this as well ...

It was simply a very bad idea for him to get mixed up in this and it's going to cost him plenty to get out of it ...

By biggest fear with all of this is if he is forced to "perform" and twitter's share price is in the toilet. At that point, it's going to be very difficult for Elon to secure other investors and one of the only options left will be to sell TSLA to help fund this purchase. I have a feeling that Twitter will trade in the mid 20's tomorrow when the market opens ... would you pay more than 100% premium on a company that has had a long history of failing to be profitable? I sure as hell would not ....

I sure hope I'm very wrong ... (I'm sure the forum will say I am .... )

But ... your initial question was correct ... this is not about price negotiation. Twitter has a signed contract that addresses this very scenario .... and they intend to enforce it.

If you were a shareholder in Twitter wouldn't you want someone to give you $54 a share? Considering this dumpster fire of a stock will trade mid 20's tomorrow I'd hazard a guess that you very much would like to get that price. And for the record .. $54 is about a 46% premium from where twitter closed at on Fri (Before Elon's announcement).

Elon blew it on this ... I know it's very hard for people to admit that he's fallible, but he is.

Multiple sources have said that the agreement has a "Performance" clause that could be used to force Elon to complete the sale.

One of those sources is...the actual contract-- which is a public document.

It's called a specific performance clause, and is the exact thing twitter says it intended to sue to enforce.

I've said before, with lots of disagreement from this forum, this is going to turn into a huge $hi% show with litigation that could take years to settle.

Delaware chancery court, where this will be litigated, is not that kind of court.

There's no jury, and they tend to move very fast by legal standards because they ONLY hear these types of corporate cases and aren't years-long backlogged with other junk.

For example in the LVMH case folks like to cite- suit was filed by Tiffany Sept 2020 asking for specific performance of an M&A contract. The court set the trial date for January 2021, less than 4 months later.

If they don't like the result, the only appeal available is to the Delaware Supreme Court, which frequently resolves urgent matters in days, and rarely more than months.

Certainly at any point in this process the two sides could decide on a settlement of some kind... but it's not the kinda thing that can drag on many years.

One of those sources is...the actual contract-- which is a public document.

It's called a specific performance clause, and is the exact thing twitter says it intended to sue to enforce.

Delaware chancery court, where this will be litigated, is not that kind of court.

There's no jury, and they tend to move very fast by legal standards because they ONLY hear these types of corporate cases and aren't years-long backlogged with other junk.

For example in the LVMH case folks like to cite- suit was filed by Tiffany Sept 2020 asking for specific performance of an M&A contract. The court set the trial date for January 2021, less than 4 months later.

If they don't like the result, the only appeal available is to the Delaware Supreme Court, which frequently resolves urgent matters in days, and rarely more than months.

Certainly at any point in this process the two sides could decide on a settlement of some kind... but it's not the kinda thing that can drag on many years.
Thanks for the clarification. I have not read the actual contract but I’ve read several articles that specifically mention the clause you brought up.

So let’s see if twitter pushes Elon to perform, my guess is that they most certainly will.

If you were a shareholder in Twitter wouldn't you want someone to give you $54 a share? Considering this dumpster fire of a stock will trade mid 20's tomorrow I'd hazard a guess that you very much would like to get that price. And for the record .. $54 is about a 46% premium from where twitter closed at on Fri (Before Elon's announcement).

Elon blew it on this ... I know it's very hard for people to admit that he's fallible, but he is.

Tell me a way Elon could have accessed the code of Twitter to know how many bots there are on the platform before making an offer and committing to buy?