Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 827658
Sadly I know something about that from a couple weeks ago. F250 truck tried to zip around me at a bad moment on a residential street. I walked away.

202k miles. I wanted to be one of the first to 300k in a model 3! After doing the math, I already ordered my next model 3 but may have to make a $250 donation to third quarter and opt for a used one. As much as I drive I can’t afford NOT to drive a Tesla. Probably some other good reasons as well …😉

Damn 200k miles in just a few years? You must’ve saved an absolute fortune on gas! 😳

nterView attachment 827658
Sadly I know something about that from a couple weeks ago. F250 truck tried to zip around me at a bad moment on a residential street. I walked away.

202k miles. I wanted to be one of the first to 300k in a model 3! After doing the math, I already ordered my next model 3 but may have to make a $250 donation to third quarter and opt for a used one. As much as I drive I can’t afford NOT to drive a Tesla. Probably some other good reasons as well …😉
Maybe put some air in the tires and enter via passanger side😁

Whilst I think there is a lot of value being developed in FSD, I don't think it will be monetised via an autonomous taxi service anytime soon. That is why I have no value attributed to a taxi service in my own calculations.

Those of you who do have a significant (material) value attributed to an autonomous taxi service might find it interesting to read the expose of Uber's business practices and regulatory/competition responses that has started surfacing. When something (Uber) looks too good to be true, it probably isn't true - or at least isn't sustainable. The same underlying issue will likely affect any rapid step-change in robotic/autonomous labour substitution as the social backlash will be substantial. Even where the benefits are plentiful societies only have a limited absorbtive capacity for change.

Neither the Uber model nor the traditional taxi model look sustainable. The problem is that riders are not interested in paying a living wage for drivers. The robotaxi model will make this clear. We should not think that Tesla should be able to capture the economic value of drivers for long. Once that labor is priced out if the market, the robotaxi model is merely a short-term rental business. So it would be like asking, how much is Avis willing to pay for a self-driving car they can rent out. Surely Avis can rent out such a vehicle at some premium to a car that is not self-driving, but that premium could prove vanishingly small as vehicles autonomy becomes commonplace.

How dare he up his numbers by 20k in the final week of Q4. He should at least be doing this a month or two in advance.
Sorry, does not make any sense. As an investor, I like to know the best estimate possible at any time. The more updates, the more current the info that went into them. Is this a game to you where it counts more when an estimate is made a long time ahead?

Reactions: MC3OZ
Gary black* has been pushing for tesla to market itself as the safest brand out there. I haven’t done exhaustive research on the safety of tesla, but sure damn seems like they might make the safest cars on the road. I’m aware of the crash stats, autopilot stats, and many anecdotes.

There was a bit of a fight with Tesla and NHTSA because Tesla claimed their cars tested as lowest chance of injury of any cars ever tested.... which digging into their data is a perfectly supportable comment-- but NHTSA considers it misleading because they don't offer any official score higher than 5 stars and they consider anything with 5 stars equal to anything else because... REASONS. Some more on this here:

Increasing delivery numbers means that they will be more supercharging revenue.. Do we know the value of supercharging revenue? How does that reflect on the stock price? How can we calculate that?

Historically supercharging hasn't been hugely profitable.

It's possible that will change with opening the network to non-teslas who pay more-- but then they're likely to be tying up more stations, for more time, so we can't be sure it won't remain

What Elon has said is
Elon Musk said:
We aim for 30% GM or ~10% profitability, all costs included

Sorry, does not make any sense. As an investor, I like to know the best estimate possible at any time. The more updates, the more current the info that went into them. Is this a game to you where it counts more when an estimate is made a long time ahead?

I expect some folks think of it like say sports-- where a guy who predicts the final score with 2 minutes left in the game isn't doing anything impressive, while the one who gets close before the game starts is.

Increasing delivery numbers means that they will be more supercharging revenue.. Do we know the value of supercharging revenue? How does that reflect on the stock price? How can we calculate that?
I'm wondering if we will get more details from this now that non-Tesla cars can charge in Europe and will be able to do so soon in the US. I think it would be impossible to calculate this without direct access to Tesla's data. Too many variables in what they pay to utilities.

Tesla has sold just under 3 million cars to date. If you assume they are all still on the road and average $100 per annum in supercharger purchases you are at $300 million revenue. That’s less than 0.5% of revenue.
I think the real value of the supercharging network is as a sales driver.

Was wondering why BYD was down so much, seems like there are some indications that Buffet might have sold his position (was 7.7% of BYD in Feb):

If true, he should put the money in TSLA ;)!

AWD is almost universally a safer vehicle, especially in inclement weather. Pretty sure it fits with their mantra of making the safest possible vehicles.

I've been driving our RWD Model 3 and Stealth M3P AWD for 4 years now in all kinds of inclement weather, often hard enough (or in slippery enough conditions) to break traction were it not for electronic traction aids, under both acceleration and combinations of accelerations, cornering, braking. I can tell you on no uncertain terms, any difference in safety between AWD and RWD is miniscule to non-existent and has more to do with whatever tires we have on there at the moment and what air pressure they are at.

Any small safety advantage AWD may have had over 2WD has been almost entirely eliminated by Tesla's excellent electronic traction aids. The fact that the AWD can climb steep, icy hills that the RWD has no chance of making it up (all else being equal) actually makes the RWD the safer car by encouraging the use of proper winter tires and discouraging travel on icy roads that steep. The one minor safety advantage that is real is a small but real advantage in accelerating hard into fast traffic when traction limited, an occurrence primarily limited to freezing conditions or special situations like a cold, wet road contaminated with oil or antifreeze.

I'm pretty sure Tesla is not fooled by the mistaken notion that AWD is sooo much safer. I think you will find accident statistics will not bear that out either. Remember, not everything we have heard repeated 1000 times is actually true. I put this in the same category as "Consumers won't buy electric cars because they are too limiting."

This tells me Tesla's strong focus on AWD is almost entirely due to the fact that they have been production constrained for years now (AWD has higher margins) and a potential minor contributing factor being the fact that the AWD needs less maintenance, because the RWD requires regular tire rotations while the AWD does not. My best guess is that as Tesla's production continues to increase to the point they are no longer production constrained, not only will prices come down quite dramatically, but we will see a stronger mix of 2WD versions. The AWD Model 3's primary advantage over the RWD model is more even tire wear. The performance differences are inconsequential as the LR RWD Model 3 is faster than all big-engined muscle cars from the tire screeching 1960's.

In 2017 many people speculated that the AWD Model 3 would be the more efficient model due to it's ability to regen brake on all four wheels but that has not proven to be valid in practice, neither does this contribute to safety as the disc brakes can be blended with regen as necessary. The RWD model costs less, is lighter, goes farther on a charge in all traffic conditions and has a slightly nimbler steering feel. Given all this, I'm pretty sure there is an important role for 2WD Teslas to play in the transition to EV's.

That said, you can pry my P3D from my cold, dead hands! ;)

Maybe a tad of humility is in order before you start throwing around shade.

After the Shanghai shutdown last quarter, in the post linked below you were very critical of Troys estimates as being way lower than your own estimate. Needless to say, Troy was far closer with his figures than you were.

And as I said in the previous post, Shanghai Covid was an ever evolving situation. I was critical during periods where we hadn’t gotten clarity, yet Troy was making bold assumptions without any actual way to back them up. It worked out for him in Q1 and Q2. That doesn’t erase how off he was all throughout 2021, where he continually underestimated, sometimes drastically, for the first 2 months, only to start rapidly upping his numbers in the final 2-3 weeks of the quarter. And it doesn’t erase how much more accurate myself and others were all throughout 2021. As @Troy juxt pointed out in another post, he upped his Q4 estimate by 24k units in the final couple of weeks of Q4 2021.

Sorry but I don’t consider that process of changing your numbers in the final weeks and ignoring how off you were for the first 2 months to be accurate estimating. My main critique of Troys method is that is really serves no purpose for the first 2 months of a quarter.

Obviously when there are anomalies like Shanghai lockdowns, it’s going to throw off estimating. I very much admit the lockdowns made it hard to for me to estimate for Q2 because there’s constant misinformation. The June Shanghai were close to what I was estimating (80k) and if Shangai had just one week in May doing Junes production rate, that would have added another 10-12k. I also made a post after the numbers were released where I said how wrong I was about Fremont being able to get closer to the stated max capacity.

NHTSA considers it misleading because they don't offer any official score higher than 5 stars and they consider anything with 5 stars equal to anything else because... REASONS. Some more on this here:
www.greencarreports.com

NHTSA to Tesla: Stop claiming your cars are the safest

Federal regulators said that the claims have "intention to mislead the public," Tesla says they're sound.
www.greencarreports.com
So then Tesla can just advertise saying exactly that; something like "Tesla can't advertise their cars are the safest, but only because NHTSA doesn't know how to measure safety", until accident data proves Tesla's assertion.

Tesla could sue NHTSA for making them misrepresent their safety!

Last edited:
I've been driving our RWD Model 3 and Stealth M3P AWD for 4 years now in all kinds of inclement weather, often hard enough (or in slippery enough conditions) to break traction were it not for electronic traction aids, under both acceleration and combinations of accelerations, cornering, braking. I can tell you on no uncertain terms, any difference in safety between AWD and RWD is miniscule to non-existent and has more to do with whatever tires we have on there at the moment and what air pressure they are at.

Any small safety advantage AWD may have had over 2WD has been almost entirely eliminated by Tesla's excellent electronic traction aids. The fact that the AWD can climb steep, icy hills that the RWD has no chance of making it up (all else being equal) actually makes the RWD the safer car by encouraging the use of proper winter tires and discouraging travel on icy roads that steep. The one minor safety advantage that is real is a small but real advantage in accelerating hard into fast traffic when traction limited, an occurrence primarily limited to freezing conditions or special situations like a cold, wet road contaminated with oil or antifreeze.

I'm pretty sure Tesla is not fooled by the mistaken notion that AWD is sooo much safer. I think you will find accident statistics will not bear that out either. Remember, not everything we have heard repeated 1000 times is actually true. I put this in the same category as "Consumers won't buy electric cars because they are too limiting."

This tells me Tesla's strong focus on AWD is almost entirely due to the fact that they have been production constrained for years now (AWD has higher margins) and a potential minor contributing factor being the fact that the AWD needs less maintenance, because the RWD requires regular tire rotations while the AWD does not. My best guess is that as Tesla's production continues to increase to the point they are no longer production constrained, not only will prices come down quite dramatically, but we will see a stronger mix of 2WD versions. The AWD Model 3's primary advantage over the RWD model is more even tire wear. The performance differences are inconsequential as the LR RWD Model 3 is faster than all big-engined muscle cars from the tire screeching 1960's.

In 2017 many people speculated that the AWD Model 3 would be the more efficient model due to it's ability to regen brake on all four wheels but that has not proven to be valid in practice, neither does this contribute to safety as the disc brakes can be blended with regen as necessary. The RWD model costs less, is lighter, goes farther on a charge in all traffic conditions and has a slightly nimbler steering feel. Given all this, I'm pretty sure there is an important role for 2WD Teslas to play in the transition to EV's.

That said, you can pry my P3D from my cold, dead hands! ;)

Presumably, you are talking about wet weather. When roads are snow or ice covered, AWD makes a big difference at slow speeds, or from a stop. Ie. It is easy for a car to be stuck, spinning its tires in ice/snow conditions without AWD.

Presumably, you are talking about wet weather. When roads are snow or ice covered, AWD makes a big difference at slow speeds, or from a stop. Ie. It is easy for a car to be stuck, spinning its tires in ice/snow conditions without AWD.

Exactly. Here in PA we have hills and driveways which 2WD cars simply cannot drive up on bad winter days. I literally need AWD to get up my driveway in the snow. I've had many friends try to get up my driveway in their 2WD cars over the decades and they simply will not make it up to my house.

If Tesla only sold 2WD vehicles I wouldn't be able to own one due to my house location.

Tesla has sold just under 3 million cars to date. If you assume they are all still on the road and average $100 per annum in supercharger purchases you are at $300 million revenue. That’s less than 0.5% of revenue.
I think the real value of the supercharging network is as a sales driver.
Agree 100% .... Now Tesla Insurance, that's being completely overlooked IMHO. Very high margins in the insurance game and Tesla's ability to track driver metrics and charge accordingly is a serious advantage.

Hope everyone’s ready for another fun day of capping. Yes TSLA up 3X right now, which is nice to see, but I can practically feel the capping incoming after the usual first 30 mins of volume at open fades.

Edit: and there it is. 717 folks is where the capping is set for. Already had a spoof that took TSLA from up 3X to now 2X, meanwhile the Nasdaq and every other high growth stock has been in constant climb since the market opened

Edit #2: and now TSLA lower than the nasdaq. That didn’t take long

Last edited:

That's very sad news, but I'm so glad you walked away!

If I had any contacts high up at Tesla, I would put in a good word for you and mention how important you are to the mission, given the number of people you educate about Tesla. If it were up to me, you would have a brand new Model 3 this week!

Euro is at par with US Dollar.
With all the US money printing past 2 years, I was surprised to see the Dollar = Euro. Were they also busy printing money?

And the Canadian exchange is like .77 to the US dollar. Did the dollar get strong or is it purely a relative thing? This doesn't look like inflation relatively speaking, if imports are cheaper.
1657633030680.png