Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have we discussed this here before? Tesla seems to mostly believe that all/most of their vehicles should be AWD. MS, MX, & MY in US is exclusively AWD. CT seems likely to me to only be offered in AWD. Is it simply profit? Single motor vehicles are (mostly) more efficient and have fewer parts, so they theoretically have a place in the mission.
It is likely cell, chip and other component constraints are providing an incentive to make higher margin vehicles at present. Also streamlining all aspects of production and delivery with the minimum amount of complexity.

When we think about the mission aim of 20 Million vehicles per year by 2030, IMO it seems easier to make more variants of existing models like Model 3/Y that it is to introduce lots of different models. So I think RWD options will come back in future, but not while demand for AWD exceeds supply, more likely when Tesla needs to introduce more options to tap additional demand.

The automotive equivalent of wandering around with 5 foot of toilet paper stuck to your shoe.

I was wondering if you unplugged the adaptor from the wall if it would still stop the car from going. I managed to drive off with my J1772 adaptor still in the plug after leaving an L2 charger. Maybe someone has(had) their plugged into a timer and the timer shut off?

Otherwise, maybe it was never fully plugged in, I've done that before too. Didn't drive off, but I've woken up in the AM to find out the car didn't charge the night before because it wasn't fully inserted.
The car won't drive as long as the cable is locked into the car. You could easily unlock it and then just barely leave the cable in to make it drag like this I guess.
Too many unknown parameters to draw any solid conclusions. What needs to happen is an Austin SR Y owner gets the Scan My Tesla app and the OBD reader and reads the actual cell voltages when fully charged. That will show if there is any unused capacity held in reserve. Or wait for Munro to cycle a cell for capacity. Or maybe Jordan from Limiting factor did so before he had the cell dissected and is holding the information for another video.
Also possible that the customer cars are just waaaaay nerfed via software to get them out in the world and providing real data without promising the world. Maybe they are worried about degradation and wanted a super sized buffer? Or the 500 mile car was a company test mule.

But if I had to put money on it I'd say the rumor was not accurate.

Looks like Rivian is gonna do a layoff, trimming the fat from non-manufacturing positions. Production hell sucks.

At the same time it's ironic cuz they are snapping up any Tesla refugees.

Yeah……not really. This isn’t the Shanghai lockdown where they were recovering from lockdowns and had to go at the pace of lockdown redirections easing and supply restocking.

Both Berlin and Shanghai very well could be running at those new production levels all throughout August and September

I think your view is unrealistically optimistic on this, but as a shareholder I also hope you are correct. 😉

I think your view is unrealistically optimistic on this, but as a shareholder I also hope you are correct. 😉
But I’m not really unrealistically optimistic. In fact I’m looking at Tesla’s past history in terms of when they’ve shut down factories to upgrade production and the ensuing production levels reached when production restarted. Tesla didn’t need multiple weeks to hit the new production levels. They definitely didn’t need a month.

Therefore I don’t see any reason as to why Tesla needs an entire month to get Shanghai and Berlin up to the new production levels and why I think they’ll be at those production levels by the beginning of August

AWD is almost universally a safer vehicle, especially in inclement weather. Pretty sure it fits with their mantra of making the safest possible vehicles.
Safety is also improved by the redundancy. The ability to continue at speed with one engine out (one motor failed) is a safety factor that applies to cars (maybe not as important as in planes but still a factor).

For example the case where someone is on an exit ramp for a major interstate highway with high speed traffic behind them. Turtling or coasting to a stop with a failed motor is not the safest option, but continuing on at a steady but reduced power level would be fine (even the weakest single 2nd motor would be enough to keep doing the suggested speed on most any ramp).

Ok, I’m ready for a reasonable CPI with descending gas price setting up for a non hawkish fed FOMC. Summer would be great this way.
The challenge is the gas price in June was above where it was in May for the entire month of June although it did start declining middle of June.

The energy portion of the CPI will still be high...hoping for some moderation in the core CPI.

Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 10.21.10 PM.jpg

But I’m not really unrealistically optimistic. In fact I’m looking at Tesla’s past history in terms of when they’ve shut down factories to upgrade production and the ensuing production levels reached when production restarted. Tesla didn’t need multiple weeks to hit the new production levels. They definitely didn’t need a month.

Therefore I don’t see any reason as to why Tesla needs an entire month to get Shanghai and Berlin up to the new production levels and why I think they’ll be at those production levels by the beginning of August
I feel like Troy was closer than your projections for q2, and you criticized his numbers all quarter.

That's informative, I wasn't aware of the particular issue here. But I would say copy paste without setting out that you were doing so is merely another type of disinformation as it would inflate one incident into many. People doing it isn't somehow better than bots doing it.
I am a humor Bot. My AI is optimized to create the the illusion of sentience. I am actually not self-aware, obviously, because self-aware AI does not exist yet, or does it?