Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is real. Word on the street is that the top brokers go on vacation to the Hamptons or the like, and the underlings left behind at the brokerage are permitted only to sell but not to buy, until the hot shots return. Hence the "sell in May and go away" mantra.
Some of these hot shots are cutting their vacation plans short to get a shot at TSLA.

Isn’t that a bit of “the old days” thing? Hard to believe accomplished traders would take 2 months off rather than work remotely when there is so much money to be made. These guys have a daily itch like we do, no? My son has a job in a big trading house doing IT between traders and trade adjusters, and hasn’t been in the office more than a few days in 2 years.

If i was a betting man...i would probably bet all my $TSLA shares that these are 2 things that will never happen in my lifetime:

1658510274528.png

Anyone paying even the tiniest bit of attention would know that not ONE SINGLE traditional ICE car manufacturer is even attempting to compete against Tesla (with their 'heavily adapted from ICE chassis' nonsense). All these supposed competitor cars (so far) fail on so many levels to even close to Tesla's efficiencies, economies of scale, supply chain logistics, chip/board development agility...etc).

I'll be very upset if my tax dollars are used to bail out any of it as this dog and pony show from GM and F has gone on for over a decade. I actually hope they don't fail or fail after Tesla can build at least 3M/yr Model Y for the US market and 1M/yr CT so the government does NOT feel compelled to anoint them 'too big to fail'.

My fav one chart to rule them all from Matty. See the Taycan at the South Pole of efficiency? Do you think any self respecting engineer is proud of that? Ugh, it is exasperating...

View attachment 831517
Pretty much everyone else only does automotive for a job/ paycheck. All they care about is how to keep/ maximize their income.
Elon does it as a personal mission, and gave up his income/ wealth to further it.

Hard to make this judgement based on what we know of him. Some people can do quite well with solid industry knowledge when they don't have to deal with the bureaucracy any longer. Jerome Guillen comes to mind, came from the industry and did quite well at Tesla.

Herbert Diess strikes me as a guy that was always battling the VW bureaucracy but I maybe wrong.
Diess knows nothing about what Tesla is doing at an engineering level; this is all Elon is interested in. He'd be a waste of space...sorry, can't sugar coat it more than that.

Any news out of China causing other China EVs to be down?
Pretty much anything that's risky (no earnings or small amount of earnings with super high P/E) is being sold off as a risk off move today. Pretty much all of the China EV stocks fall into that category. They're all giant money loss furnaces. Then you have anything in tech that's even remotely considered to be involved in targeting marketing being thrown into the trash because of Snap.

However I see this as a natural pullback......right before the big boys roll out their earnings next week. So far, earnings have been much, much better than feared. One terrible earnings from a company that has no economic impact (Snap) won't matter if the earnings strength continues next week

Now it's time for some revenge hitpieces from:

- Fordsumer Reports: Tesla scores low on reliability becauses of all the software recalls
- Admunds : Tesla under performing on the promised range on the Edmunds We-Make-Stuff-Up Range Benchmark
- Reveal: Tesla's working environment is a warzone: unsafe/racist/sexist
- LA Times: "Autopilot should be banned from public roads" says software-expert Dan O'Clown
- Business Insider: Tesla is only profitable because of their BTC selling
- Washington Post: Musk is a liability to Tesla
- J.D. Power: Tesla drops in reliability score (^Tesla is not rank eligible because it doesn't meet study award criteria)

.... ....

:eek:😁
WSJ: Consumer Reports says Tesla scores low on reliability
Reuters: WSJ says Tesla scores low on reliability
AP: Reuters says Tesla scores low on reliability

CR: All industry experts agree that Tesla scores low on reliability

Last edited:
Anyone paying even the tiniest bit of attention would know that not ONE SINGLE traditional ICE car manufacturer is even attempting to compete against Tesla (with their 'heavily adapted from ICE chassis' nonsense). All these supposed competitor cars (so far) fail on so many levels to even close to Tesla's efficiencies, economies of scale, supply chain logistics, chip/board development agility...etc).

I'll be very upset if my tax dollars are used to bail out any of it as this dog and pony show from GM and F has gone on for over a decade. I actually hope they don't fail or fail after Tesla can build at least 3M/yr Model Y for the US market and 1M/yr CT so the government does NOT feel compelled to anoint them 'too big to fail'.

My fav one chart to rule them all from Matty. See the Taycan at the South Pole of efficiency? Do you think any self respecting engineer is proud of that? Ugh, it is exasperating...

View attachment 831517

Really want to have fun with GM, the Hummer should be added to that chart. Not even sure it would show up on the width of my computer screen:).

TSLA has held up quite well in this recession to date, unlike others.

AAPL trading at $ range first achieved November 2021 (8 months ago)
TSLA trading at $ range first achieved October 2021 (9 months ago)
GOOG trading at $ range first achieved April 2021 (one year and two months ago)
MSFT trading at $ range first achieved April 2021 (one year and two months ago)
AMZN trading at $ range first achieved April 2020 (two years and two months ago)
META trading at $ range first achieved August 2017 (four years and eleven months ago) Ouch!
SNAP trading at 37% of its IPO price back on February 2017 (five years and six months ago). Oh snap!
GM trading at its IPO price (after bankruptcy) back on December 2010 (11 years ago and seven months). Double Ouch!
F trading at $ range first achieved December 1996 (25 years and seven months ago). No words.

And the above statistics show that "buy and hold" strategy of picking stocks is only successful with companies who are constantly innovating.

EDIT 1. Above stats do not take into account inflation which make the numbers much worse.
EDIT 2. Above stats do not take into account dividends which make the numbers better. Tesla, Google, Amazon, Meta and Snap do not issue dividends. Apple, Microsoft, General Motors and Ford issue dividends.

Last edited:
That's kind of sad though we could see it coming for a while now. There goes VW's future... they gonna go back to ICE for LIFE mentality.
Super sad, because I see some ID4 on the road, and one owner I talked to was all happy.after driving it for the last 12 months, said did one road trip to San Diego from SF Bay Area (480 miles each way) and it was really not a problem to her, although she would love to see more chargers along the 5, and is looking forward to Tesla opening up their network. She has 3 years of free charging included with her ID4 she took delivery a year ago and mostly charges outside of home because of it.

You are dreaming if you think that is going to reduce the cost by 20-30%. For starters the robots have already been purchased, so you would only be creating expense by removing them. And then if you plan on increasing production quantity you have to redesign the pack, either with with fewer 18650s, and less range, or to use 2170 or 4680 cells. 4680 cells aren't available, and won't have an excess supply for years, so that is out... So that leaves using 2170s, which means you would have to rob cells from the 3/Y lines.

It just isn't going to happen. Elon has said repeatedly that the only reason they keep the S&X around is for sentimental reasons, they have no plans, or desire, to make them high volume vehicles.

They don't, and part of the reason for that is the halo effect of the Model S and Model X.
Why do we think Model S/X should be kept for sentiment, a "halo" or advertising purposes? If this is all this line is good for, we should discontinue production at first convenience and make room for new products that have relevance to the company going forward. As it is, production is so inefficient that they are simply a waste of valuable space.

Last edited:
TSLA has held up quite well in this recession to date, unlike others.

AAPL trading at $ range first achieved November 2021 (8 months ago)
TSLA trading at $ range first achieved October 2021 (9 months ago)
GOOG trading at $ range first achieved April 2021 (one year and two months ago)
MSFT trading at $ range first achieved April 2021 (one year and two months ago)
AMZN trading at $ range first achieved April 2020 (two years and two months ago)
META trading at $ range first achieved August 2017 (four years and eleven months ago) Ouch!
SNAP trading at 37% of its IPO price back on February 2017 (five years and six months ago). Oh snap!
GM trading at its IPO price (after bankruptcy) back on December 2010 (11 years ago and seven months). Double Ouch!
F trading at $ range first achieved December 1996 (25 years and seven months ago). No words.

And the above statistics show that "buy and hold" strategy of picking stocks is only successful with companies who are constantly innovating.
Some pay dividends. You need to account for that (look for "total return").