Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do we think Model S/X should be kept for sentiment or advertising purposes? If this is all this line is good for, we should discontinue production at first convenience and make room for new products that have relevance to the company going forward. As it is, production is so inefficient that they are simply a waste of valuable space.
Dude the S and X are among the greatest vehicles ever made, and are currently FARRRR better than they’ve ever been. Every suggestion youve made on this subject has been horribly, disastrously misguided.

I would sell all my Tesla stock if they ditched the S/X or redesigned them to have even LESS differentiation from the inferior 3/Y designs.

Tremendous strength by TSLA today on a very red day for the NASDAQ. Lots and lots of effort just to push down from 842 to 820.....when a small retreat was actually perfectly logical. Splendid stuff.
It'll be pretty amazing if TSLA stay green today (if the macro's stay down this low till the close of trading)

Often times over the past 6 months, we've see TSLA hold strong in the first half of the day, only to give way in the 2nd half. As always, I'm looking for signs of continued strength over more than just a 2-3 day stretch. So we'll see how next week plays out.

The big name earnings next week will be pretty huge for the market... they could signal the course of the NASDAQ for the next couple weeks. Plus the Fed with a possible 100 bps increase. Likely to be a buckle up week. At least we know Tesla is strong and will likely be stronger than the market for a while. Even in drops, I don't see the bottom falling out (as long as Elon doesn't want to buy SNAP now).

Anyone paying even the tiniest bit of attention would know that not ONE SINGLE traditional ICE car manufacturer is even attempting to compete against Tesla (with their 'heavily adapted from ICE chassis' nonsense). All these supposed competitor cars (so far) fail on so many levels to even close to Tesla's efficiencies, economies of scale, supply chain logistics, chip/board development agility...etc).

I'll be very upset if my tax dollars are used to bail out any of it as this dog and pony show from GM and F has gone on for over a decade. I actually hope they don't fail or fail after Tesla can build at least 3M/yr Model Y for the US market and 1M/yr CT so the government does NOT feel compelled to anoint them 'too big to fail'.

My fav one chart to rule them all from Matty. See the Taycan at the South Pole of efficiency? Do you think any self respecting engineer is proud of that? Ugh, it is exasperating...

View attachment 831517
That efficiency chart is amazing!

This is what Alien Technology looks like - I'm in Phx, I should know.
1997, Phx Az.

1658513487019.png

Same pattern:

1658513240055.png

Dude the S and X are among the greatest vehicles ever made, and are currently FARRRR better than they’ve ever been. Every suggestion youve made on this subject has been horribly, disastrously misguided.

I would sell all my Tesla stock if they ditched the S/X or redesigned them to have even LESS differentiation from the inferior 3/Y designs.
And they are the halo cars along with the Roadster. Every brand needs halo products. Though I would say your choice of wording on inferior in respect to the 3/y is trollish.

1658514258365.png

DIESS IS OUT *(oops, was covered already)
Volkswagen CEO Herbert Diess will leave the company at the end of August, the company said Friday. Oliver Blume, currently the CEO of Volkswagen subsidiary Porsche, will succeed Diess as of Sept. 1.

The automaker didn’t provide a reason for Diess’ departure.

"His successor will be charged with keeping that transformation on course. A career Volkswagen executive, Blume held manufacturing roles at Audi, the Spanish auto brand SEAT and at the VW brand before becoming Porsche’s production chief in 2013. He became the sports car brand’s CEO in 2015."

Last edited:
We tend to see these "tank the market" days when Tesla starts rocketing up after excellent ERs or in the days following. I've not tracked it so this will come across as nothing more than a conspiratorial hunch flawed with recall bias, but it seems to happen more often than not. I suspect some large hedgies are either short or trying to protect their Friday options book, so they try to trigger a broader sell-off in the hopes of covering cheaper or protecting those call walls.

Wow, with NASDAQ down 2.3%, Tesla is holding up nicely today.
Since Tesla bottomed on May 24th, Tesla is up 195 points or 31%. Nasdaq was at ~11,100 on the close of the 24th... up about ~6%. Nasdaq bottomed in that span lower while Tesla never did (though it was real close). The prior 4-6 weeks were pretty significant underperformance... Elon selling, Twitter drama, and market in general taking a tumble (prior to that, there was a good 3 weeks of massive outperformance). That said the movement has been very strong for a while, and I'm expecting that continue or grow now. If macros play along, we could see a nice bit of movement over the next 4-6 weeks. If macros don't, I expect Tesla to hold up better on this go round.

Herbert Diess is a solid manager with a wealth of experience on how to run operations of one of the world's largest automakers. He would be a fine choice to be the head of Tesla Europe and keep the region on the straight and narrow.
I don't ordinarily agree with hires from OEMs.... But my initial reaction is not one of rejection.

That might work. He was definitely trying hard with the BEVs, and I think his ouster spells bailout for VW in the future.

Gary has added point # 5 to his Tesla catalysts: Buyback in October.

I find Gary to be very conservative so this prediction of a buyback in October out of character.
My thinking is that Tesla would not entertain a buyback for a few years. Perhaps in early 2025 when cash on hand exceeds $80b.

View attachment 831544
Completely agree. When people started talking about dividends on this board, I pointed out the AAPL initiated them when they had banked 100B, and that Tesla should do the same. Actually taking inflation into account the equivalent number would be well above 125B at this point.

Cool your jets, people. Tesla's enemies are legion. I got on this train for BEVs to win and replace all these stinking cars on the road, and that is all that matters.

Gary has added point # 5 to his Tesla catalysts: Buyback in October.

I find Gary to be very conservative; so this prediction of a buyback in October is a bit out of character.
My thinking is that Tesla would not entertain a buyback for a few years. Perhaps in early 2025 when cash on hand exceeds $80b.

View attachment 831544
I legit believe that ~half of Gary's list is simply his wishlist.

I can't see Tesla do a buyback until there is so much money they simply have zero way to spend it.

Herbert Diess is a solid manager with a wealth of experience on how to run operations of one of the world's largest automakers. He would be a fine choice to be the head of Tesla Europe and keep the region on the straight and narrow.
In what I have seen in my career, ex CEO's rarely take a regional role at a competing company; their ego could not allow for it.
The only roles I could see being acceptable to Deiss at Tesla would be as President (reporting to the CEO/Technoking) or as a Board Member.
Also - Deiss may leave with a severance package that does not allow for him to work for a competitor for 1-2 years.

Obviously I don't know Deiss at all, perhaps he does not have a huge ego . . .but my opinion is that he would not be interested in a Tesla Europe role.