Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 834305
Emphatic yes. Let me know if you'd like me to design one for you.
Wow!

Also Wow:

1659124420261.png

Your problem is you are thinking in short term 1 to 2 year time frame. The bill lasts 10 years. It gives auto makers, besides the pure EV plays, more confidence in demand, more confidence they can sell an EV that after tax credit is cost competitive with their ICE cars and they can still make a profit. This should cause them to accelerate production and get more EVs to the market faster. Otherwise the slow roll it and try to protect the profits by delaying EV transition.
Yes, but. What one bill creates, another can take away. We buy ~15 million new vehicles a year in the US. Lets say 10 million of them become EVs that qualify for a $7500 tax credit-that works out to $75 billion in new taxpayer spending. PER YEAR. I have difficulty thinking that the US taxpayers will find that acceptable. Of course, I could very well be wrong, I guess we'll see, assuming this does get passed.

Oh gee . . . look at that MMD.

MM's defending 850 hard. Would love to see them steamrolled.

(goes to shake cushions in sofa)

Yup, head fake. Core PCE trend is still intact. Elon even told us inflation is waining. Wall St reacted this morning by trying to steal chairs from ticket holders at the Kabuki playhouse.

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2022-07-29.15-55.Kabuki.png

Best part for them? They knew they were going to pull this stunt back last Winter, when they wrote the script. They know the bottom would be in by Memorial Day. They planned this Summer rally. Wall St. is the highest form of Kabuki theatre.

TL;dr Enjoy the show, but hold on to your chairs!

Cheers to the Longs!

Last edited:
I think the story on The Street may have woke up some on the sidelines. Tesla more profitable than GM or Ford for 2 quarters in a row is a pretty compelling story for a 50% CAG stock.
Next quarter, when Tesla's profits show strong signs of being higher than F and GM combined, should be a serious wakeup call! Wish I had some dry power!

Last time Tesla did a stock split some people thought that the price increased prior to the split due to naked shorts having to cover and even then some peoples accounts took a few days to show the new shares.
Could the same be happening again?
This time it won't take anyone by surprise like last time, so it probably won't help us as much.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
There's surprisingly long backlog in China, I just looked at Tesla's Chinese order page. When Giga Shanghai was announced, I was wondering who the hell buys expensive Teslas in China. Well, apparently many people.

I was also sure that all Tesla price increases were because of upcoming tax credits, which never came and demand stayed strong. Tesla manages to amaze even bulls.

So... since the Tesla bottom on May 24 (620.76), Tesla is now up ~43%. SP500 is up ~5%. Nasdaq is up ~10%. This came after significant underperformance... but since that point both SP500 and Nasdaq bottomed lower. Real impressive strength here since late May.
Was there ever a doubt....well maybe from @StarFoxisDown! but that is purely for entertainment value :)

With the split fast approaching; Is it worth rolling a couple options positions up to a strike price with a multiple of 3 shares?

Right now I have some 940s and some 1000s. Wondering if I should roll these to 1200s so they split evenly. Any thoughts on wether it’s more profitable to liquidate and get new LEAPs or if I should just hang onto these, or if it just doesn’t matter?

I’m sure I’m not the only one with LEAPs which won’t divide well. I like 1200 because it can weather a 3:1 and a 2:1 split later on.

No, it doesn't matter how they divide when the stock and options have so much liquidity to begin with. Focus on making real money, not the details. The strike price is too important to set based on how well it divides by 3, especially when you are talking about rolling 940s and 1000's into 1200's. Completely different products.

First trading day of July... 673

Last trading day of July... 892

Fair to say July was a very strong month.
Great to see short covering on decent volume into the close today. So many positive triggers between here and Groundhog Day 2023. Several minor and easily 3 or 4 major events that could cause similar covering/squeezing.

With the options-centric backdrop of TSLA, MM's now must allow SP to push higher. They don't want to, but the algos will tell them it's better to take profits from steamrolling covered call sellers than to try and hold this momentum back.

Legit $13-25 annual EPS amounts are mere months away. Tesla fought thru the entire pandemic maintaining 42-92% growth and is headed back to the high end of that range. Margins should head back to the high end as well.

If someone wants to try and put a 65 multiple on that kind of unprecedented margin and growth combination, please.....be my guest. We're always looking for fresh entertainment around here.

Yes, but. What one bill creates, another can take away. We buy ~15 million new vehicles a year in the US. Lets say 10 million of them become EVs that qualify for a $7500 tax credit-that works out to $75 billion in new taxpayer spending. PER YEAR. I have difficulty thinking that the US taxpayers will find that acceptable. Of course, I could very well be wrong, I guess we'll see, assuming this does get passed.
The tax payers that are getting the tax credits. Not to mention the costs associated with not doing it. People dont understand what climate change is going to cost the tax payers. Going to make current inflation look like pocket change.

Why would someone buy a PHEV if they didn't have a place to plug in? Besides, given the small pack size, level 1 charging should top the battery overnight, not like you need the investment in a level 2 charger. They still seem like a good stop-gap measure until batteries become more affordable and more charging infrastructure is built-out, especially in more remote locations. If the goal is to reduce the burning of fossil fuels, they are a step in that direction.
I seem to recall some studies in Europe where phevs were bought/leased as company cars for large numbers of employees at low prices due to incentives. The charging cords were found to be unused. On the other hand individual Volt owners in the us seemed to compete to use less gas. Confession after I bought my 2013 MS P85 we bought a Volt for my wife a a bridge to M3. She loved the Volt And GDtr is still driving it and plugging it in

How many of those 10 million are purchased by someone over the income limit and wouldn't qualify for the tax credit? How many meet all the other requirements for the full credit?