Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Orange trend line which held for 24 months is the one to beat.
Nice to see TSLA is higher than new green trend line which also gets us to ATH by end of 2022.
And why not. These trend lines are linear and we are entering the near vertical part of the S curve after all.
Hold onto the safety rails. 2H 2022 and all of 2023 are going to be like nothing we have ever seen before.

View attachment 834283
Hah. I’m old enough to remember when (not) you said almost the exact same thing at the end of 2021.

I found the quote!
“(Not) Words of Habit” said:
Hold onto the safety rails. 2022 is going to be like nothing we have ever seen before.

Hopefully we don’t step in a mega macro pile of bearscat again.

Now it’s seven. A variety of colors and accessories. They are at list price. Personally, I think Tesla simply has surplus. Q C would have to be horrible to have several showing up every day. People over in the S delivery thread would be screaming their heads off.

What does this bill (at least the EV credits) have to do with the planet? There already is a months-long delay on decent EVs, and manufacturers have been raising prices for months to capitalize on the demand. We have a supply problem, not a demand problem-this is unlikely to result in one more EV sold. In fact short term it's liable to hurt sales as potential buyers wait for the credit to kick in. This bill adds to the deficit at a time when GDP is already falling and drives inflation. And adds animosity to EVs from taxpayers forced to help pay for them, rather they own one or not. My HO anyway, I see it as a mistake. The industry should be able to stand on it's own...as Tesla has demonstrated that it is more than capable of.
Your problem is you are thinking in short term 1 to 2 year time frame. The bill lasts 10 years. It gives auto makers, besides the pure EV plays, more confidence in demand, more confidence they can sell an EV that after tax credit is cost competitive with their ICE cars and they can still make a profit. This should cause them to accelerate production and get more EVs to the market faster. Otherwise the slow roll it and try to protect the profits by delaying EV transition.

Anyone want any freshly squeezed shorts?

squeeze.jpg

That's what I was thinking too. I didn't think it would start until after next week, but I guess some shorts are covering now while the SP is lower than it's going to be over the next few weeks...
They got burned today, so I think many have to cover right now. The 850, 860, 870 and 875 walls all getting broken and it starts to spiral into a gamma squeeze. We're not there... yet. But it is nearing. A quick move to 925 on Monday or Tuesday could kick one off. Though the more likely event is a slight pullback that relaxes the gamma.

If you're into selling calls, there is a nice premium on weeklies. Not quite what it was in Dec/Jan, but near what it was in March.

Why would someone buy a PHEV if they didn't have a place to plug in? Besides, given the small pack size, level 1 charging should top the battery overnight, not like you need the investment in a level 2 charger. They still seem like a good stop-gap measure until batteries become more affordable and more charging infrastructure is built-out, especially in more remote locations. If the goal is to reduce the burning of fossil fuels, they are a step in that direction.
If they have a place to plug in then they most likely don't live in an apartment. And since they live in homes, why not get an BEV instead of a PHEV? Skip the whole maintenance issue entirely.

If it's cost, that's likely a misconception. Maybe sticker price is easier, but resale in a few years time? Then there's reliability on a 2x complex system. Doesn't seem like a good consumer investment with robotaxi planned.

A 10 year commitment to support for EV's absolutely has an impact on supply.

Now every miner and EV manufacturer is going to include in their funding presentation that there is regulatory support out to 2030. They will get more funding and therefore will dig up more minerals and make more EVs.

That is the biggest bright spot of this dark bill. The same dynamic plays out in terms of the impact of new laws in various countries that outlaw the sale of ICE cars at some future date. It provides confidence to miners and refiners of EV critical minerals to expand production and I do think that's very helpful. The faster the industry can scale; the faster Tesla can grow production without being forced into mining/refining themselves.

If governments really wanted to speed the transition, they would focus on incentives for EV raw materials producers and battery manufacturers. But these companies have little political clout compared to automakers. These "green" bills are not really about speeding the transition, they are political pork that is disguised enough to be able to celebrate as accomplishments when they pass rather than being vilified as pork.

With the split fast approaching; Is it worth rolling a couple options positions up to a strike price with a multiple of 3 shares?

Right now I have some 940s and some 1000s. Wondering if I should roll these to 1200s so they split evenly. Any thoughts on wether it’s more profitable to liquidate and get new LEAPs or if I should just hang onto these, or if it just doesn’t matter?

I’m sure I’m not the only one with LEAPs which won’t divide well. I like 1200 because it can weather a 3:1 and a 2:1 split later on.

yeah? I just looked at the buying rate today. It was high in the morning and the stock was zooming. Then for a few hours noone was buying much and it stayed flat. As soon as the buying pressure came back the stock started going up.
If one wanted they could see this is intelligent people (like MM's) covering their naked calls and such. They were hoping in the middle of the day the price would go down, and people would think the rise was over and be willing to sell for the profit....didn't happen.

I very rarely buy calls but did yesterday and today (June/23 and Oct/22). It seems like we are firmly out of the bear trend and should rise for awhile now (with some ups and downs of course along the way). I won’t hold the October ones for too long. I still have all my core shares and lots of LEAPS that I had bought before the big drop (some still red bought above $1,000) and some during the drop (very green now).