Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just search this thread around august 2020 there were issues for some shareholders where the dividend shares did not show up in their accounts .. i did not have any issues myself .. but i seem to remember a lot of chatter about this
Thank you, I'll have a look back through some posts around that time.

It's normal for there to be a 5 trading day delay until you receive the shares via dividend if owned on the ex dividend date.

Some holding GME got their shares delivered in the after hours of the last trading session before the split date and subsequently had them removed from their accounts 5 days later!

• Helpful
Reactions: The Accountant
Can someone here simply tell me - spoon feed - how I should vote in each of those 13 items? I would prefer to do 'Musk party line' voting.

Thanks
Short answer: Vote as recommended by the board if you trust Elon/Tesla.

Long answer: We created a thread and had a small discussion here: 2022 Shareholder vote there are a few items we had clarity on and I decided to vote with the board recommendations. :cool:

Voting with fidelity account

help menu
help with what?
input : proxy voting

Proxy screen appears

vote right there
Much obliged. Voted both fidelity accounts. Snafu on the other brokerage account - have to sort that out tomorrow. 2/3rds of our shares are now done. It will all be simpler once we pull the retirement cord, and everything moves to one spot.

Americans not letting UK get voting representation is payback 250+ years past due.
Just tax-dodging merchants, lawyers and slave owners who stirred up trouble; wanted to avoid contributing to the huge costs Britain had spent defending them from the French.

These rich people got the modest-means people stirred up and then back-stabbed the same people later by loading them with tax and suppressing them and their local militias with drafted federal militias and regular troops - Whiskey Rebellion - Wikipedia

Anyway, it seems voting across borders is hard, for now. I do wonder if Tesla are trying something out. Might be benefits or it might be to actually have investors properly recognised on the company register, might be trying to get evidence against short-selling conspirators.

Back when Boeing was first delivering the 787, they had to ground the fleet because of fires in the large cell lithium batteries they were using. I believe Musk commented about that event. The problem was traced to a defect caused by the manufacturing process, since corrected. There have been no more fires, so I suspect LG can solve their problem with similar attention to detail.
These fires were a major subject in the NTSB hearings on Lithium Ion batteries in transportation. The 787 case resulted IIRC from numerous failing including zero coordination between Saft, the battery manufacturer, the next level supplier, another level,above that, then Boeing. The transcripts may still be available. This was one of the earliest cases of serious . 787 flaws. Others discussed then were freighter fires from battery cargo, US Navy submarine fires and several more.

The Tesla battery quality control guru testified and showed how to track every cell, establish quality control, etc.

Two days after that event, which I attended, I bought Tesla shares.

A year later I bought my first Tesla.

That was nine years ago, but some major players still have not learned.

BTW the 787 solution ended out weighing more than the lead acid and nicad predecessors.

Interactive Brokers (IBKR) allows voting on US securities from the UK and Europe. Don't believe it uses CREST although many UK based brokers do.

Revolut which uses IBKR for clearing allows voting too.
Revolut seem to be doing something odd, perhaps related to not using CREST

We [Revolut] currently only support General Investment Accounts (GIA) for individuals aged over 18.

Unfortunately at the moment, Revolut doesn't support Junior ISAs, Lifetime ISAs , Stock and Shares ISAs, Joint Accounts and SIPP (self-invested personal pension) accounts.

IKBR seem to do both ISAs & SIPPs - which is news to me. I hadn't noticed them before in this list - but latest includes them. I'll be going through comments to make sure they can hold shares and not just funds - Broker comparison: cheap investment platforms UK - Monevator

So we have a candidate for a UK ISA/SIPP provider with voting.

Clearly I agree with you. The smart OEMs to which I refer, and mentioned in recent points, were all Chinese. Tesla does not have all Chinese OEMs by any portion of their anatomy. Lest anybody miss my point Gigacasting is coming to Chinese OEMs. Anyway everyone conveniently ignores that Gigacasting itself originated with a Chinese owned firm IDRA together with their parent LK.

Just in case other people miss my point it’s Chinese. it is NOT US, German, other European, nor Japanese or Korean. It is Chinese and perhaps some unexpected new competitors, maybe even Vietnamese or…
Still meh. The Chinese are welcome to continue pumping out their mini EVs. Has no bearing on Tesla.

Can you explain why you feel this is “normal”?

Thanks.
In the case of a stock split distributed via dividend, the shares are released by the transfer agent of the security, then to the DTC, then to the broker (or in the case of some over seas brokers, intermediary (crest) then broker). It can just take a while to process in some cases, or seemingly instant in others.

IKBR seem to do both ISAs & SIPPs - which is news to me
ISAs via IBKR are relatively new, last 6-8 months I think.

Other option for voting on your TSLA shares from overseas is to transfer them from your broker to Tesla's transfer agent, Computershare. This removes the shares from the DTC and you become the direct custodian with no intermediary. This is referred to as direct registration. It's not particularly easy to setup from overseas and there can be fees involved if your broker allows this, but it would give you the right to vote.

Clearly I agree with you. The smart OEMs to which I refer, and mentioned in recent points, were all Chinese. Tesla does not have all Chinese OEMs by any portion of their anatomy. Lest anybody miss my point Gigacasting is coming to Chinese OEMs. Anyway everyone conveniently ignores that Gigacasting itself originated with a Chinese owned firm IDRA together with their parent LK.

Just in case other people miss my point it’s Chinese. it is NOT US, German, other European, nor Japanese or Korean. It is Chinese and perhaps some unexpected new competitors, maybe even Vietnamese or…
I respect the Chinese, but between now and say 2035 the main challenge is to ramp EV production and displace ICE sales, at this phase of the race there is plenty of market share for all.

Market share gained by 2035 will be reasonably easy to defend post 2035. Market share will provide economies of scale, negotiating leverage, and R&D funding. Those with market share in 2035 will be much better off than those without it.

From that point onwards I expect Tesla to do a reasonable job of competing with the Chinese, not withstanding the fact that the Chinese will be solid competition with good products.

And Tesla will have an increasingly diversified set of income streams, energy, charging, insurance, robots, AI, FSD.

He kinda said it.

“Look, we’re– as a regulator, we call balls and strikes. And we regulate to make sure that they’re compliant with the laws. We don’t cheer for one company over another. Tesla is the largest producer of EVs in the country. They’ve played a remarkable role in propelling EV revolution. There are many companies that are doing remarkable work.”

And of mistakes, I’ve made a few….. but none of them so expensive as saying no to buying Tesla at $420… FFS. Imagine making a half a trillion dollar mistake. Epic fail.

Anyhow… my 10:1 wasn’t meant to be a likely scenario. It was me tossing down the towel. I won’t let them do it for anything less than that.
The "take private" price was $84 split-adjusted. 😳

If anyone can recall any doubt over how the split was distributed back in 2020 I'd be grateful to hear your recollection.

Yeah, it was a thing. @Boomer19 had the most to contribute on the inside technical workings specifically for the DTC. Do some searches to read the history: (for example, this one spanning from Aug 12-Sep 30, 2020, just use your choice of keywords)

Gist of it is, in the event, certain brokers did not deliver their dividend shares to their beneficial owners in a timely fashion. At the time (Aug 31, 2020), they blamed the DTC saying "we haven't received the shares yet from the DTC".

Well N.S.S. you also didn't recieve a key to that penthouse suite in Monaco, because you didn't BUY or RENT it either. :p

It was only in the Pre-Market on Tue, Sep 01, 2020 when Tesla announced a $5B Cap raise and equity distribution that the SP squeeze was broken, and the SP fell by >30% in a few days (Tesla let the brokers off the hook with the Cap Raise by giving them a source of legitimate shares to buy, rather than naked short shares which DO NOT come with the dividend shares, you know, because they're COUNTERFEIT).

TSLA.2020-09-01.07-01.png

Your account was already active here at TMC during these events. I'm surprise (not really) that you don't know this. MOst here ignored it, now can't quite remember it ( looking at you, @henchman24 :p ) Yet over a dozen TMC members reported here that their dividends were not delivered on time, while the SP fell by >30% BEFORE they had a chance to sell their rightfully owned shares. That's a class-action lawsuit in my books.

During the 1st week of Sep 2020, TSLA fell from $538 before the Cap raise was announced to $382 just 3 days later on Fri, Sep 4, 2020. That's a 31% drop, and it represents a stolen selling (or Put buying) opportunity taken from Retail beneficial shareholders by corrupt brokers (those who sell naked short shares via the Madoff Exemption).

TSLA.2020-09-04.07-47.IntradayLow.png

THIS WAS FRAUD. And a Coverup. And Business-as-Usual on Wall St. Yet no Brokerages were investigated or charged.

#$EC doyourjob

Paging @StealthP3D @Boomer19

Last edited:
What was the date of the actual split enactment on Tesla’s side?

The split happend after-hrs on Fri, Aug 28, 2020. The DTC and brokers had the entire weekend to do the bookkeeping so that the proper number of split-adjusted shares would appear in your brokerage account on Mon, Aug 31 at the start of trading.

Except it didn't for some Retail shareholders. Their Brokers cheated them. This time, I hope Tesla DOES NOT bail them out with a Cap raise like the $5B of TSLA equity they sold into the Market on Sep 01, 2020.

Tesla don't need the money, and we need to see some Street Justice.

SQUEEZE them bugnutz.

Last edited:
just search this thread around august 2020 there were issues for some shareholders where the dividend shares did not show up in their accounts .. i did not have any issues myself .. but i seem to remember a lot of chatter about this
There was lots of whining, but nobody ever said that they were unable to do a transaction. It was just complaints that their statements didn't reflect what should have been reality. At least for all those with accounts that held their shares directly.

It was a great big nothing. Nobody was cheated out of anything.

Last edited: