Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spain could possibly build a HVDC link to Italy in the Mediterranean and use that to export electricity.

Mexico is my choice for the next factory, followed by Poland.

Geographically not far from Austin and Berlin, but tapping a new workforce.

To build new factories quickly, the core design might be based on Austin.
And will it be built by Optimus es?

I must be blind, I don't see anything in there that confirms a trading window for Elon.
Separate and apart from the settlement, Elon has notified Tesla that he intends to purchase from Tesla, and Tesla expects that it will issue and sell to Elon, $20 million of Tesla’s common stock during the next open trading window at the then-current market price.

Reactions: Discoducky
Right, the larger ones generally, and Tesla did last time, give the brokers a weekend to manage the share dividend distribution. They decided not to do that this time. I suspect that they had a good reason for that decision, I just don't know what it is.

no idea

but, one good thing;
my daily PnL gets messed up on ex-date when splits are on monday, or following a holiday, (i’m at IB, and i’ve heard others complain about this at Fidelity and TD, etc)

however, PnL is generally accurate when the split happens during week (or within consecutive trading days). whatever the cause, let’s see if the statement holds true.

——————
also…i’m sure we’ll see delays for some getting their split shares.

and again, this mainly has to do with foreign account holders who are customers of brokers that are not direct participants of NSCC and DTCC, or just poor service.
….they usually wait until they receive the shares from their broker/custodian. i don’t know what prevents them from providing the same service as an IB, TD, Fidelity, for example…but who knows.

the fact of the matter is this…NOBODY on the street will receive their ACTUAL settled shares until at least Monday 8/29. this is the day that DTCC is allocated the split shares from the issuers agent. (the issuer being Tesla, their agent Computershare). DTCC then credits all of its participants. some participants custody for these foreign brokers, so it’s up to them, and then the next entity, to disburse accordingly down the chain.

while it’s true that i, being a customer of IB, will see my position increase 3x on the open of 8/25 (the effective date of the split) my broker will not posses these extra shares until eff+2 or monday 8/29. (forward splits 95+ percent of the time allocate to the street on eff+2)

some will complain of conspiracy theories about this. but that’s the process.

the timeline goes

- record date (meaningless in an electronic trading world)
- due bill period (see above)

- effective date (technically dividend terminology is ex-date - the date the exchange trades “ex-dividend”

- ex+1 (the end of day position dtcc and issuer use to calculate the allocation quantity per dtcc participant)

- allocation date (for forward splits usually ex+2)

Yup, you're right on the $20m.

Here is the filing

Which confirms Elon is subject to a trading window. ;)
We have an 8k stating Elon is buying during a trading window (which the form 4 was filed in Nov 18), and boards/executives are under much more scrutiny than average employees when it comes to insider trading. They absolutely have a window.

I think that was the window for purchasing newly issued shares from Tesla (fixed timing aligned with employee comp plan).

Separate and apart from the settlement, Elon has notified Tesla that he intends to purchase from Tesla, and Tesla expects that it will issue and sell to Elon, $20 million of Tesla’s common stock during the next open trading window at the then-current market price.
But that is the next window for Tesla selling new shares, it has nothing to do with Elon trading on the open market.

Reactions: mongo
But that is the next window for Tesla selling new shares, it has nothing to do with Elon trading on the open market.
It absolutely does have something to do with Elon...

A trading window clearly exists here and that is specifically to stop trading on non public information. Elon cannot sell the day before earnings without a 10b5-1 plan.

For Tesla employees, probably.
For Elon/ board, insufficient data.

yep

example:
i, a lowly self-directed peon was subject to “company mandated” (NOT SEC) blackout trading periods (with regards to trading my company’s stock - not other securities)

but directors/steering didn’t have such blackout periods. the caveat being they cannot trade themselves, someone had to manage their trades for them.

this doesn’t mean tesla does the exact same thing…but likely similar

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: capster and MP3Mike
I would say there is some positive and some negative news:

- 12-15 years life on a battery pack. I've been telling people 25 years. If you have to replace expensive batteries every twelve years - on average - that's a huge expense. I'd love some clarification on that from Tesla.
Not sure why you would say 25 years. Cars don't last forever and 12-15 is very reasonable relative to how long cars are typically on the road.

- Dojo not ready. I thought that it was up and running. "Soonish" is not reassuring. Dojo is way behind and could still fail putting FSD at further risk.

Could be - or he could be sandbagging the news in light of AI day. He really really wants to protect the news that will be shared on that day.

- No nice words about Andrej. No replacement announced. I maintain that he would not have left if they were close to finishing FSD.

Again - I suspect that this will be handled on AI Day

- 90% on Chuck's intersection. Not good. I've been waiting for them to tackle a really tough problem. When they finish that, I'll have confidence that it's just a matter of time to check off the rest of the boxes. My fear is that we get FSD down to the one yard line but never can punch the ball into the end zone. That the problems get exponentially more difficult at a rate faster than AI improves. I'm losing confidence in FSD (unsupervised driving) anytime in the next five years. The laugh after the "end of this year" comment was chilling more than funny. If we have to solve limited AGI for FSD to work, then isn't Elon saying we have a very long way to go without saying we have a very long way to go? (I worked for a company where the CEO said "Don't buy a house" in a meeting. That was his way of telling the truth when he couldn't tell us the truth.)

There are plenty of reasons to worry about any particular date for FSD. I'm also sitting on the fence for FSD.

- 4680 way behind. Could disrupt ramp if it isn't sorted out fast.

They keep guiding to EOY ( Q meeting and annual meeting). On the plus side Panasonic is also ramping 4680s so there is another avenue for them.

The value of Tesla is a function of their progress in developing and producing great products. To me, and Elon, the biggest step change in value for Tesla will come from AI. This was not a good report in that regard. The bad news was tangible, the good news was more like smoke. (We've got great products I can't tell you about.)

My comments are not meant as a balanced summary of the meeting. I'll leave the many, many positives from the meeting to others to report on. This is an incredible company and I agree that it will become the most valuable company in the world. But, this meeting pushed that day back a little in my mind.
Elon is clearly holding back on AI Day and he's super excited about it. I'm hoping he will knock it out of the park and have something very substantial to say on FSD and Dojo.

Want to add my 0.02 on the next Giga.

If I'm going to put my money on it, I am going to bet it's in South America somewhere.
Bolivia/Argentina/Chile form the lithium triangle there, so, it'd make sense to get some cell producers, or even just do it in-house for cell production down there.

I just came back from a month long trip to South America. It's a huge untapped market. Every day I go on the street, there isn't a single EV in sight... anywhere.

So, if Tesla gets Model 2/A design ready... which the most sensible idea would be a smaller Model 3/Y, the potential is huge down there.

Trading will be on split adjusted basis on Aug 25th

Tesla SEC filing dated Aug 05, 2022 Exhibit 99.1 (excerpt w. my emphasis)

Tesla Announces a Three-for-One Stock Split

AUSTIN, Texas, August 5, 2022 – Tesla, Inc. (“Tesla”) announced today that the Board of Directors has approved and declared a three-for-one split of Tesla’s common stock in the form of a stock dividend to make stock ownership more accessible to employees and investors. Each stockholder of record on August 17, 2022 will receive a dividend of two additional shares of common stock for each then-held share, to be distributed after close of trading on August 24, 2022. Trading will begin on a stock split-adjusted basis on August 25, 2022.

Cheers to the Longs!

If I'm going to put my money on it, I am going to bet it's in South America somewhere.
Bolivia/Argentina/Chile form the lithium triangle there, so, it'd make sense to get some cell producers, or even just do it in-house for cell production down there.

I just came back from a month long trip to South America. It's a huge untapped market. Every day I go on the street, there isn't a single EV in sight... anywhere.

So, if Tesla gets Model 2/A design ready... which the most sensible idea would be a smaller Model 3/Y, the potential is huge down there.
Although I don't disagree that South America may be an untapped market, that's not really how the decision will be made. Tesla will be looking to build factories in proven markets with all the necessary inputs required for a sustainable factory. I don't see them pushing into new markets with factories.

I think Elon has made it very clear that they won't build a GigaFactory in a country that doesn't already have a proven market for Tesla. So that means that they have to already have a presence there with stores, service centers, Superchargers, etc.

So if you want to figure out where they would put the next one look for a country that is importing a lot of Teslas and isn't really close to an existing GigaFactory... (I don't know maybe somewhere like Canada, UK/Australia, etc.)

That's one thing Elon did not address... who's going to have money to buy the things the Optimus (s) are building since all the jobs have been replaced by Optimus (s)? Possibly even many service jobs like a waiter or waitress? Are we moving towards a Star Trek economy where money is irrelevant?

The times they are a'changing...
Elon: What to do with mass unemployment? This is gonna be massive social challange. I think ultimately we will have to have some kind of universal basic income. I don't think we are going to have a choice. I think it's gonna be necessary.

What is Universal Basic Income?

Tesla SEC filing dated Aug 05, 2022 Exhibit 99.1 (excerpt w. my emphasis)

Cheers to the Longs!
careful with the record date though everyone

you can hold tesla as of close of business on 8/17. then sell it anytime after up until close of business on 8/24 (the day before ex date) and not be eligible for split. (that’s what the due bill period is meant to track)

i’m unsure if that archaic language is kept that way just to confuse people, or if there’s some legitimate reason.

it’s simple. if you own or even just purchase shares by close of 8/24, (basically by trade date 8/24) you’re eligible for split

Not sure why you would say 25 years. Cars don't last forever and 12-15 is very reasonable relative to how long cars are typically on the road.

Could be - or he could be sandbagging the news in light of AI day. He really really wants to protect the news that will be shared on that day.

Again - I suspect that this will be handled on AI Day

There are plenty of reasons to worry about any particular date for FSD. I'm also sitting on the fence for FSD.

They keep guiding to EOY ( Q meeting and annual meeting). On the plus side Panasonic is also ramping 4680s so there is another avenue for them.

Elon is clearly holding back on AI Day and he's super excited about it. I'm hoping he will knock it out of the park and have something very substantial to say on FSD and Dojo.

I've been looking at the battery decay charts and extrapolating out some of the numbers. I think I didn't account for the "failures" that batteries suffer from enough. (Shorts etc.)

They keep guiding to EOY ( Q meeting and annual meeting).

This looks like a case of not updating the plan until after the goal is missed. See: FSD.

I agree, but smoke is smoke and there is a saying about counting chickens for a reason.

• Disagree
Reactions: TheTalkingMule
Elon: What to do with mass unemployment? This is gonna be massive social challange. I think ultimately we will have to have some kind of universal basic income. I don't think we are going to have a choice. I think it's gonna be necessary.

What is Universal Basic Income?
The time before UBI is established and optimus taking away massive amount of jobs is the time of mass social unrest. People are usually not very proactive with these type of things. I mean look at climate change...we are still a bunch of people sitting in a burning house thinking it's fine.

I think there will be more incentive to massively attack Tesla if it's the major cause for job loss than to establish some kind of UBI.

I would say there is some positive and some negative news:

- 12-15 years life on a battery pack. I've been telling people 25 years. If you have to replace expensive batteries every twelve years - on average - that's a huge expense. I'd love some clarification on that from Tesla.

- Dojo not ready. I thought that it was up and running. "Soonish" is not reassuring. Dojo is way behind and could still fail putting FSD at further risk.

- No nice words about Andrej. No replacement announced. I maintain that he would not have left if they were close to finishing FSD.

- 90% on Chuck's intersection. Not good. I've been waiting for them to tackle a really tough problem. When they finish that, I'll have confidence that it's just a matter of time to check off the rest of the boxes. My fear is that we get FSD down to the one yard line but never can punch the ball into the end zone. That the problems get exponentially more difficult at a rate faster than AI improves. I'm losing confidence in FSD (unsupervised driving) anytime in the next five years. The laugh after the "end of this year" comment was chilling more than funny. If we have to solve limited AGI for FSD to work, then isn't Elon saying we have a very long way to go without saying we have a very long way to go? (I worked for a company where the CEO said "Don't buy a house" in a meeting. That was his way of telling the truth when he couldn't tell us the truth.)

- 4680 way behind. Could disrupt ramp if it isn't sorted out fast.

The value of Tesla is a function of their progress in developing and producing great products. To me, and Elon, the biggest step change in value for Tesla will come from AI. This was not a good report in that regard. The bad news was tangible, the good news was more like smoke. (We've got great products I can't tell you about.)

My comments are not meant as a balanced summary of the meeting. I'll leave the many, many positives from the meeting to others to report on. This is an incredible company and I agree that it will become the most valuable company in the world. But, this meeting pushed that day back a little in my mind.
Dude….

OT
On another note, who here is using the TMC app vs. the TMC website? I find the app confusing, so I'm still using the website.

Thoughts? After all it is Friday...

I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about the app layout is appealing.

IMG_1879.jpg

It absolutely does have something to do with Elon...

A trading window clearly exists here and that is specifically to stop trading on non public information. Elon cannot sell the day before earnings without a 10b5-1 plan.
@MP3Mike
Due to the tie in to it being new shares, that 8K and his direct purchase of $20M from Tesla on November 9th does not neccessary inform us regarding an open market trading window.
However, his independent purchase does lend credence to such a blackout window. Elon purchased $10M in shares October 29th on the open market without a plan. This would be the first trading day following a theoretical two day blackout after the Q3 2018 earnings. Not conclusive, but supportive.
One could pull all the 4-Fs to check.

SEC FORM 4

SEC FORM 4