Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So they don't even give the brokers a weekend to get things all lined up and adjusted this time...

I wonder if there is any particular reason they did that. 🤷‍♀️

a lot of splits happen during the trading week. some of the larger ones happened to be on mondays, dunno what the rhyme or reason is

tsla - monday 8/31/20
aapl - monday 8/31/20
traddesk - thursday 6/17/21
nvda - tuesday 7/20/21
amzn - monday 6/6/22
fortinet - thurs 6/23/22
shop - wednesday 6/29/22
google - monday 7/18/22
gamestop - friday 7/22/22
tsla - thurs 8/25/22

Last edited:
a lot of splits happen during the trading week. some of the larger ones happened to be on mondays, dunno what the rhyme or reason is

tsla 2020 - monday 8/31
aapl 2020 - monday 8/31
Right, the larger ones generally, and Tesla did last time, give the brokers a weekend to manage the share dividend distribution. They decided not to do that this time. I suspect that they had a good reason for that decision, I just don't know what it is.

That's one thing Elon did not address... who's going to have money to buy the things the Optimus (s) are building since all the jobs have been replaced by Optimus (s)? Possibly even many service jobs like a waiter or waitress? Are we moving towards a Star Trek economy where money is irrelevant?

The times they are a'changing...
Musk said Optimus would change the nature of the economy. He's also suggested UBI may be necessary.

My pet theory: In the future you buy and sell things with fractions of a $TSLA.

Perhaps this had something to do with today? In combo with sell the newsers, swing traders and hedgies?

Shock. Another Russ Mitchell hit piece.

EDIT - this quote cracked me up:
"The remedies proposed by the DMV if it prevails could be severe, including revocation of the company’s licenses to make or sell its cars in California."

FAT chance, Russ.

EDIT 2 - and this one:
"A DMV spokesperson said Friday via email that if its action succeeds, “the DMV will ask that Tesla will be required to advertise to consumers and better educate Tesla drivers about the capabilities of its ‘Autopilot’ and ‘Full Self-Driving’ features, including cautionary warnings regarding the limitations of the features, and for other actions as appropriate given the violations.”"

Tesla ALREADY does this. They already have tons of warnings everywhere on Autopilot and FSD that are "cautionary warnings regarding the limitations of the features".

Another nothingburger by Russ, brought to you by your ICE-friendly CA DMV (remember, they don't get the smog inspection $$$ and gas road tax from EVs).

Musk said Optimus would change the nature of the economy. He's also suggested UBI may be necessary.

My pet theory: In the future you buy and sell things with fractions of a $TSLA.

With space available as a market (as well as rocks and planets), money still works. Though, you certainly need a digital layer to transfer those assets between physical and virtual locations with a real-time exchange rate without having to wait.

There doesn't 'have' to be a policy on insider trading, but it's a good idea, and agree that Tesla references having one
Do we agree though that the SEC does not mandate a window?

FWIW, the tweet describes a two week before EoQ to two after earnings blackout which leaves 6ish weeks, but who knows if it applies to director level.

Elon's penalty was in cash, not stock. He just so happened to purchase $20M in stock from Tesla later though.
We agree SEC doesn't mandate the dates of window, but do we agree a window for TSLA exists?

Elon's penalty was cash distributed to shareholders, and then it was agreed between the court, Tesla, and Elon that the 20m would be distributed to shareholders via a stock purchase that had to be made in the next trading window. That's a technicality.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Spain can't get excess solar or wind energy to a wider market, with the very minor exception of Portugal. The reason is that France has de facto blocked high capacity transmission crossing the French/Spanish border, thereby preventing excess Spanish renewables from undercutting French nuclear. This acts to protect French nuclear both in its domestic market and its its natural adjacent markets. One can have long complicated debates about whether this should be permitted, but it is the reality. The practical upstream effect has been to inhibit the gowth of a solar and wind manufacturing industry in Spain, beyond that which might be justified by its domestic needs. As such this means that manufacturers in Spain have not been able to reach the necessary scale to compete with the Chinese. (Offshore cables might debottleneck this, they are endlessly proposed).

Despite that Spain has done a pretty fair job on decarbonisation so far.
La Moncloa. 27/12/2021. Spain meets European targets for renewables and energy efficiency in 2020 [Government/News]

The Spanish car plants can get their products to markets via rail and/or sea without a commensurate level of French throttling. These car plants have had both good and bad patches. Other good car plant candidates within the EU apart from Spain and which have the necessary size to asorb a Tesla facility, and cost-effective workforce are Poland (but a bit close to Germany), Bulgaria or Romania. Outside EU one could propose Ukraine (good, apart from a war) or Turkey (iffish under Erdogan, almost uninvestable) or UK (nightmare post-Brexit, don't go there). Perhaps Hungary (nightmare politics with Orban). All European governments will have the taxpayer cheque book at the ready.

Personally my bet is that Brazil is next up on the board. However I note that presidential elections are a two round affair and will take place in October this year. I have my head in my hands at the thought of a Bolsonaro vs Lula choice. Later this year might mean after that election has concluded.

Spain could possibly build a HVDC link to Italy in the Mediterranean and use that to export electricity.

Mexico is my choice for the next factory, followed by Poland.

Geographically not far from Austin and Berlin, but tapping a new workforce.

To build new factories quickly, the core design might be based on Austin.

I've had these packs apart, and it's pretty well-known in the salvage groups, that the packs from the past 5-7 years or so are on a much better "initial drop in range and power" curve than the first 5 years of packs made 10-12 years ago.

Yes, Tesla has great BMS software that adjusts electrical load to prolong pack life, but there have been some pretty substantial chemistry changes and pack cooling changes over the years as well. Newer packs are simply of higher initial quality and have better longevity than the older ones.

Case in point - early 85 kwh packs had charging limitations put on them when degradation was seen to be beyond desired, in order to extend longevity. Packs made from 2016 and on or so (same 18650 form factor for the cells but improved chemistries and pack cooling) did not have those limitations put on them at the same point in their life cycle.

The early 2170 packs are just now hitting that point, and appear to be holding up much better at the 5 year point.

I'm sure there were some early learnings there. The learnings will continue. My point is, Tesla attempts to optimize pack capacity/output power and longevity. The first two are at odds with the third and so it's a balancing act of achieving the most functionality while also meeting the targeted longevity. Of course it will vary in different climates and with different use patterns but, overall, the longevity should tend towards Tesla's targets.

I'm sure there were some early learnings there. The learnings will continue. My point is, Tesla attempts to optimize pack capacity/output power and longevity. The first two are at odds with the third and so it's a balancing act of achieving the most functionality while also meeting the targeted longevity. Of course it will vary in different climates and with different use patterns but, overall, the longevity should tend towards Tesla's targets.

Right, but Tesla's targets are always on the up-swing, as the chemistry, etc. allows for improved logevity.

Reactions: JRP3
Elon's penalty was cash distributed to shareholders, and then it was agreed between the court, Tesla, and Elon that the 20m would be distributed to shareholders via a stock purchase that had to be made in the next trading window. That's a technicality.
Nope, not at all. Both Elon and Tesla paid $20M cash each to the SEC. The SEC is still working on distributing that $40M to the "investors".

Elon just happened to buy $20M worth of stock from Tesla, which covered what Tesla had to pay the SEC.

Spain could possibly build a HVDC link to Italy in the Mediterranean and use that to export electricity.

Mexico is my choice for the next factory, followed by Poland.

Geographically not far from Austin and Berlin, but tapping a new workforce.

To build new factories quickly, the core design might be based on Austin.

Poland would so be the big middle finger to Putin and his fossil fuel empire. Tesla on his doorstep. I love it!

Nope, not at all. Both Elon and Tesla paid $20M cash each to the SEC. The SEC is still working on distributing that money to the "investors".

Elon just happened to buy $20M worth of stock from Tesla, which covered what Tesla had to pay the SEC.
Yup, you're right on the $20m.

Here is the filing

Which confirms Elon is subject to a trading window. ;)

Not zero news so much as positive news. 😒
I would say there is some positive and some negative news:

- 12-15 years life on a battery pack. I've been telling people 25 years. If you have to replace expensive batteries every twelve years - on average - that's a huge expense. I'd love some clarification on that from Tesla.

- Dojo not ready. I thought that it was up and running. "Soonish" is not reassuring. Dojo is way behind and could still fail putting FSD at further risk.

- No nice words about Andrej. No replacement announced. I maintain that he would not have left if they were close to finishing FSD.

- 90% on Chuck's intersection. Not good. I've been waiting for them to tackle a really tough problem. When they finish that, I'll have confidence that it's just a matter of time to check off the rest of the boxes. My fear is that we get FSD down to the one yard line but never can punch the ball into the end zone. That the problems get exponentially more difficult at a rate faster than AI improves. I'm losing confidence in FSD (unsupervised driving) anytime in the next five years. The laugh after the "end of this year" comment was chilling more than funny. If we have to solve limited AGI for FSD to work, then isn't Elon saying we have a very long way to go without saying we have a very long way to go? (I worked for a company where the CEO said "Don't buy a house" in a meeting. That was his way of telling the truth when he couldn't tell us the truth.)

- 4680 way behind. Could disrupt ramp if it isn't sorted out fast.

The value of Tesla is a function of their progress in developing and producing great products. To me, and Elon, the biggest step change in value for Tesla will come from AI. This was not a good report in that regard. The bad news was tangible, the good news was more like smoke. (We've got great products I can't tell you about.)

My comments are not meant as a balanced summary of the meeting. I'll leave the many, many positives from the meeting to others to report on. This is an incredible company and I agree that it will become the most valuable company in the world. But, this meeting pushed that day back a little in my mind.