Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not going to do it and spend the money without the incentive. My green upgrades have to pencil out financially. For now, HVAC and natural gas stove will stay. Both are only 6 years old, and they are a minor CO2 footprint for our family, given we are net exporters of solar, even with two EVs.
I don't typically agree with you, but this one leaves a sour taste in my mouth as well. I was going to get two hybrid hot water heaters under this bill, but now I see I am also shut out. The worst part is, I would have bought one of them either way.... but rebates like this tend to make the price of the item go up somewhat as well, maybe for about 1/3 the rebate amount. The sour taste won't stop me from getting one the hybrids.... but a big price increase will.

I'm not going to do it and spend the money without the incentive. My green upgrades have to pencil out financially. For now, HVAC and natural gas stove will stay. Both are only 6 years old, and they are a minor CO2 footprint for our family, given we are net exporters of solar, even with two EVs.
Natural gas must be cheap or the winters very mild where you live.

We used to pay $1600/year for heating the house, and the price is on the uptrend, this is actually the last angle PG&E had on us to extract cash into the fossil fuel direction. Replacing the AC/gas furnace with a daikon one heat pump two months ago was a no-brainer, pays for itself in its lifetime, while redirecting my cashflows permanently away from the fossil fuel industry, and towards the installer and producer of the heat pump.

Any cash stream not flowing to the fossil fuel industry helpful in reducing the lobbying impact of fossil fuel industry who would love to take net metering away from us, they almost succeeded before.

The heat pump is a good use for the surplus solar we have over the year, which gets reimbursed at such a minuscule rate compared to when we consume.

Also I like to enjoy the notion that really the TSLAQ crowd has financed my heat pump, solar, power walls and Tesla cars, couldn't have done it all without them. I happily flow some of that cash back to Tesla, Daikin, etc, further bolstering the income TSLAQ pretends doesnt exist.

The people that didnt know about Tesla and were not able to buy all the dips are the ones that need the incentive, I dont actually really need it.

Natural gas must be cheap or the winters very mild where you live.

We used to pay $1600/year for heating the house, and the price is on the uptrend, this is actually the last angle PG&E had on us to extract cash into the fossil fuel direction. Replacing the AC/gas furnace with a daikon one heat pump two months ago was a no-brainer, pays for itself in its lifetime, while redirecting my cashflows permanently away from the fossil fuel industry, and towards the installer and producer of the heat pump.

Any cash stream not flowing to the fossil fuel industry helpful in reducing the lobbying impact of fossil fuel industry who would love to take net metering away from us, they almost succeeded before.

The heat pump is a good use for the surplus solar we have over the year, which gets reimbursed at such a minuscule rate compared to when we consume.

Also I like to enjoy the notion that really the TESLAQ crowd has financed my heat pump, solar, power walls and Tesla cars, couldn't have done it all without them. I happily flow some of that cash back to Tesla, Daikin, etc

That's great, it pencils out for you financially. It doesn't for us.

In San Diego, we run the AC about 6-8 weeks per year. We run the heat about 10 weeks per year. Rest of the time we might turn on the whole-house fan to pull some air through and provide a breeze, but that's it. The "payback" period because of the short utilization is very long for Heat Pumps. I'll do it when our HVAC units die, but they are only 6 years old, so it's going to be a while. We have over-provisioned solar so that we can run the AC whenever we want (from our powerwalls directly, this isn't a net-metering swap, we touch the grid for less than 500 kWh per year).

Our gas usage for the stove and hot water (tankless) heater are so small ($10/mo) that replacing either of them will NEVER, not in 30 years, not at 5X the current gas prices, pay for itself. Labor and appliances are expensive here (as in most of Cali), it's a large hurdle to jump to make it pencil out, especially when we are already in a new house with all new appliances (we couldn't pick them, they were already picked before we found the house or we would have put in much less natural gas stuff). If I was getting back some of my taxes for this rebate, I would do it. But it looks like they are going to exclude high-income earners in this move. That's not surprising given the political optics.

I'm 100% behind being environmentally friendly, but I won't do it when it doesn't pencil out financially. Otherwise you are just giving a blank check to the equipment manufacturers and installers.

I don't typically agree with you, but this one leaves a sour taste in my mouth as well. I was going to get two hybrid hot water heaters under this bill, but now I see I am also shut out. The worst part is, I would have bought one of them either way.... but rebates like this tend to make the price of the item go up somewhat as well, maybe for about 1/3 the rebate amount. The sour taste won't stop me from getting one the hybrids.... but a big price increase will.

Well, I do try to disclose my thought process in most things. I like to at least try to be "first principles" on financial things. Look at how something is going to change the supply and demand curves, and therefore price. I'm taxed at > 50% on every dollar I earn, but 0% on every dollar I save by being financially prudent in my purchasing decisions. Not cheap, just more a "will this pay for itself in a reasonable time period" or "is this money better spent on something else".

I agree with you, that I fully believe that these rebates are going to push up the price of these products, at least for the first 2-3 years as demand for them is increased. Perhaps someone (like Tesla) will see that demand and enter the marketspace (heat pumps?) and provide a better product at a lower price point.

Cory making some bold prediction for tomorrow. He thinks the market will gap up over resistance and cause capitulation by the bears. He also expect a pretty sizable pull back after the squeeze as institutional bears start shorting after all retail bears are squeezed out.
Many institutional shorts have capitulated these past weeks, but perhaps more is coming, as Cory predicts.

Transcript: YouTube:

Why Don't Markets Care? 10,958 views Aug 16, 2022​

Tom Hearden, Skyland Capital Senior Trader, on "Bloomberg Markets: Americas"

04:23
This weekend we saw from Goldman Sachs prime broker
the rolling four-week data of short books covering was actually the third
highest cover rate in the last decade.

What an entertaining timeline we live in, where Elon can tweet a joke and financial media immediately write headlines just in case he's serious:

Cory making some bold prediction for tomorrow. He thinks the market will gap up over resistance and cause capitulation by the bears. He also expect a pretty sizable pull back after the squeeze as institutional bears start shorting after all retail bears are squeezed out.
So, going to go up and going to go down. Wow, something new! 🫠

Well, I do try to disclose my thought process in most things. I like to at least try to be "first principles" on financial things. Look at how something is going to change the supply and demand curves, and therefore price. I'm taxed at > 50% on every dollar I earn, but 0% on every dollar I save by being financially prudent in my purchasing decisions. Not cheap, just more a "will this pay for itself in a reasonable time period" or "is this money better spent on something else".

I agree with you, that I fully believe that these rebates are going to push up the price of these products, at least for the first 2-3 years as demand for them is increased. Perhaps someone (like Tesla) will see that demand and enter the marketspace (heat pumps?) and provide a better product at a lower price point.
I seem to have misled you about incomes and the rebates. I apologize. I had scanned repeatedly for this the past few days and only today did I see anything regarding income, and that was on this forum. I should have gone back to the bill text but did not have time for that.

I understand your position, but I don’t agree with it for myself. I am going to piss my money away on trying to go as green as possible, financial returns be damned. I will try my best to get a good deal, but fossils are not allowed at any price if I have a alternative that works but simply costs more money. And the hope is that schmucks like me pave the way for cheaper prices in the future for everyone.

So either I go broke or we go green. I could go broke if TSLA suddenly fails. But it would have to go down at least 95%.

What an entertaining timeline we live in, where Elon can tweet a joke and financial media immediately write headlines just in case he's serious:

I wonder how many people will rush out to buy shares thinking this is happening?

Maybe the same people who expect him to put the coke back in Coke?

I wonder how many people will rush out to buy shares thinking this is happening?

Let's not write this one off so quickly.
Here is a Seeking Alpha (I know, not the greatest news outlet) which talks about a hostile takeover of Manchester United. Interesting is that there is no mention of Elon Musk in this article.
Manchester United jumps after report of potential hostile takeover offer — Seeking Alpha

"Soccer club Manchester United (NYSE:MANU) rose 11% (that's $220M) after a report earlier Wednesday about a bidder preparing a hostile takeover offer.

Michael Knighton confirmed that he formed a consortium and will make an offer to buy the club "very shortly" from Malcolm Glazer, according to a Manchester Evening News report.

Knighton is a former Manchester United director who reportedly came close to purchasing the soccer club in the 1980s."

So maybe Elon is part of this consortium. Just maybe. True or False, it will be entertaining tomorrow.

Jokes aside, this does give us some insight into some of Elon's thoughts. I imagine he tweeted it because he thinks he won't have to pay full price for Twitter and was musing "What can I buy with a spare couple billion dollars?"

Let's not write this one off so quickly.
Here is a Seeking Alpha (I know, not the greatest news outlet) which talks about a hostile takeover of Manchester United. Interesting is that there is no mention of Elon Musk in this article.
Manchester United jumps after report of potential hostile takeover offer — Seeking Alpha

"Soccer club Manchester United (NYSE:MANU) rose 11% (that's $220M) after a report earlier Wednesday about a bidder preparing a hostile takeover offer.

Michael Knighton confirmed that he formed a consortium and will make an offer to buy the club "very shortly" from Malcolm Glazer, according to a Manchester Evening News report.

Knighton is a former Manchester United director who reportedly came close to purchasing the soccer club in the 1980s."

So maybe Elon is part of this consortium. Just maybe. True or False, it will be entertaining tomorrow.
In my book it makes no difference.

Whether Musk buys MU or not, “investing” based on a random tweet is very foolish.

A link would be helpful. I have absolutely no idea who Cory is. The guy who works for Munro? 🤷

1660701975218.png