Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah. I don’t trust JD Power at all, whether I like their conclusions or not.
Full agree. It’s worth paying attention to who creates surveys and analyst comments. In particular if you think their methods are sneaky/ bad when you disagree with them, it’s important to treat them as suspect when you agree with them as well. Otherwise you just slip into this vortex of confirmation bias.

JD Power has a good reputation, but this isn’t the only survey I’ve seen by them with weird/ skewed results.

Good old media...

1660771839027.png

So what if Tesla were to make a stripped down version of a 3 and/or Y that had a purchase price low enough to get the $7,500 tax credit (or rebate, much better), but also had the capability to load up post purchase options OTA after the initial purchase is complete? S

Whaddya think?
This also benefits customers in states like Virginia that charge a yearly personal property tax on the value of the vehicle. This is typically based on the cost of a base model without options and can be quite substantial over the life of the car.

There are 2 Model Ys which will fit price-wise into the incentives without any modifications. (Though the Austin one is off-menu still)

There is 1 Model 3 which fits into the incentives as well. The other Model 3 is off menu for the moment and they may well bring it back at a low enough price to meet the minimums for the incentives.
I think the real question here is around how the Model Y would be classified, the dollar limits are pretty clear but this is what the bill says about the limits + vehicle classification

(A) In general.
No credit shall be allowed under subsection (a) for a vehicle with a manufacturer's suggested retail price in excess of the applicable limitation.

``(B) Applicable limitation.
For purposes of subparagraph (A), the applicable limitation for each vehicle classification is as follows:
  • ``(i) Vans.--In the case of a van, $80,000
  • ``(ii) Sport utility vehicles.--In the case of a sport utility vehicle, $80,000.
  • ``(iii) Pickup trucks.--In the case of a pickup truck, $80,000.
  • ``(iv) Other.--In the case of any other vehicle, $55,000.
``(C) Regulations and guidance.
For purposes of this paragraph, the Secretary shall prescribe such regulations or other guidance as the Secretary determines necessary for determining vehicle classifications using criteria similar to that employed by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of the Energy to determine size and class of vehicles.''.

The EPA classifies the Model Y as a "Small Sport Utility Vehicle" and the Model X as a "Standard Sport Utility Vehicle". I think the Model X fitting in as an SUV is a given, but does the Model Y belong in the same grouping as trucks and vans with an $80k limit?

That feels a bit iffy, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out

I think the real question here is around how the Model Y would be classified, the dollar limits are pretty clear but this is what the bill says about the limits + vehicle classification

The EPA classifies the Model Y as a "Small Sport Utility Vehicle" and the Model X as a "Standard Sport Utility Vehicle". I think the Model X fitting in as an SUV is a given, but does the Model Y belong in the same grouping as trucks and vans with an $80k limit?

That feels a bit iffy, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out
This would impact more than just Tesla. Most of the new batch of "SUV" EVs are very similar build to the Model Y. Ford just reclassified the Mach E as an SUV. The LYRIX is also considered an SUV as is the coming Blazer. All of them are essentially stamped from the same compact SUV mold the Model Y was.

Market action shows bears aren't done yet! Jobs really need to come in at expectation. Too many claims and the sky is falling in a recession! Too little claims and Fed is going to raise rates forever! Chicken little either way! 😂

I think we are setup nicely to run as long as we don't get anything shocking the system (war, covid, etc). The bears know the line in the sand here though. 13k can easily sprout into 13.6 that runs into 14.2. The technical resistances are becoming few and an outright full recovery of the market is on the horizon... a bit out there, but on the horizon with the levels. If the market can get running, we could have a very large, market wide sort of squeeze... which means bears are going to fight like hell right now (13.6 is even more important). Especially when there is really no economic news besides jobs coming soon, and those don't look to be in the bears' favor. The positioning today really looks like that.

The letter sent to Sichuan from Shanghai requesting Tesla’s suppliers be exempted from the electricity rationing. Skimmed it and don’t see anything particularly interesting beyond what kelvin previously reported. They stress how important Tesla is, but I’d expect that.

Kelvin seems to think Sichuan has already agreed to exempt them and this letter was just required to be sent as a formality.

Market action shows bears aren't done yet! Jobs really need to come in at expectation. Too many claims and the sky is falling in a recession! Too little claims and Fed is going to raise rates forever! Chicken little either way! 😂

I think we are setup nicely to run as long as we don't get anything shocking the system (war, covid, etc). The bears know the line in the sand here though. 13k can easily sprout into 13.6 that runs into 14.2. The technical resistances are becoming few and an outright full recovery of the market is on the horizon... a bit out there, but on the horizon with the levels. If the market can get running, we could have a very large, market wide sort of squeeze... which means bears are going to fight like hell right now (13.6 is even more important). Especially when there is really no economic news besides jobs coming soon, and those don't look to be in the bears' favor. The positioning today really looks like that.
Them fighting like hell today resulted in a hoo hum drop and vix closing below 20. Bear trap round 7. Today was their day and barely anyone showed up to the party.

This would impact more than just Tesla. Most of the new batch of "SUV" EVs are very similar build to the Model Y. Ford just reclassified the Mach E as an SUV. The LYRIX is also considered an SUV as is the coming Blazer. All of them are essentially stamped from the same compact SUV mold the Model Y was.
Definitely, you may have already seen it but here's the EPA's list of "small" SUVs

Looking at this list and then googling a sample of MSRPs, I can't find a single "small" SUV that breaks the $80k limit and that makes me wonder if they would be included in that grouping under the spirit of the bill when these wouldn't be limited at all by an $80k restriction.

Now if you look at the "standard" SUVs, these get as big as the Escalade and electric versions of vehicles this size could easily break $80k and require price limits

Reactions: Nocturnal
Per federal law, it's an SUV due to three rows of seats where the rear two fold flat for cargo.

Definitely, you may have already seen it but here's the EPA's list of "small" SUVs

Looking at this list and then googling a sample of MSRPs, I can't find a single "small" SUV that breaks the $80k limit and that makes me wonder if they would be included in that grouping under the spirit of the bill when these wouldn't be limited at all by an $80k restriction.

Now if you look at the "standard" SUVs, these get as big as the Escalade and electric versions of vehicles this size could easily break $80k and require price limits

MSRP includes factory options.

"With assistance from Sean O’Kane and Dana Hull". :rolleyes:
Ah, so the author plus those 2...

"3 people familiar with the matter..."
Per federal law, it's an SUV due to three rows of seats where the rear two fold flat for cargo.
Mach-E is considered a small SUV as of 2022 and no third row. I couldn't find a clear set of rules when I went hunting.