Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All I want for Christmas is the ability to disconnect from all legacy internet and mobile phone providers.

A Starlink-backed TMobile product is a big piece of the puzzle.
Glad to see this. Already on Google Fi, which is T-mobile + better alternatives like secured wifi where they exist.

Oh man .. Elon gonna have more $$ soon....

Now that's interesting. Satellite capability in mobile phones would perform better than cel towers if it utilized Starlink, no more need for tower coverage and such a phone would work pretty much anywhere with satellite coverage overhead. Which in time will be the entire world for Starlink.

Very interesting...wouldn't really impact Tesla stock much though, its more SpaceX related.

Now that's interesting. Satellite capability in mobile phones would perform better than cel towers if it utilized Starlink, no more need for tower coverage and such a phone would work pretty much anywhere with satellite coverage overhead. Which in time will be the entire world for Starlink.

Very interesting...wouldn't really impact Tesla stock much though, its more SpaceX related.
Wonder if there is applicability to Tesla EV connectivity? I bet Elon wouldn’t mind cutting links to AT&T.

Why am I getting the heebiejeebies when I read the name T-Mobile, whether or not it is associated with Starlink?
It is a serious question: although not in the same league of Most Despised US companies as ’net service providers like Comcast, I am pretty sure that T-Mobile, Verizon, ATT and so forth, as cellphone service providers, aren’t viewed as fuzzy teddy bears one cuddles up with.
Moreover, not one of these firms has full coverage throughout even just the USA. Can it be that linking with Starlink makes that difference - ie, that satellite ubiquity trumps ALL ground coverage? That, I should think, would be a spectacular game changer.

Why am I getting the heebiejeebies when I read the name T-Mobile, whether or not it is associated with Starlink?
It is a serious question: although not in the same league of Most Despised US companies as ’net service providers like Comcast, I am pretty sure that T-Mobile, Verizon, ATT and so forth, as cellphone service providers, aren’t viewed as fuzzy teddy bears one cuddles up with.
Moreover, not one of these forms has full coverage throughout even just the USA. Can it be that linking with Starlink makes that difference - ie, that satellite ubiquity trumps ALL ground coverage? That, I should think, would be a spectacular game changer.
T-Mobile bought out my old provider Sprint and things seem better.
Starlink backhaul direct to cell towers would allow better cellular coverage pretty much everywhere. And potentially exit nodes for Starlink where the towers are on the terrestrial backbone.

There was a previous Starship/Starlink presentation where Elon called out behind the sceens talks with cellular providers.

T-Mobile bought out my old provider Sprint and things seem better.
Starlink backhaul direct to cell towers would allow better cellular coverage pretty much everywhere. And potentially exit nodes for Starlink where the towers are on the terrestrial backbone.

There was a previous Starship/Starlink presentation where Elon called out behind the sceens talks with cellular providers.
In the SF Bay Area it appears as if they play the game of 'look how great coverage we have, all move over to us' and then sell off capacity to the next provider who plays the same game again a few years later. Currently t-mobile in SF is terrible while it still works great on the east-bay. I have experienced that with both Verizon and t-mobile over the years.

I don't know why, but my version of Think or Swim is showing a crazy volume error for TSLA in the past few minutes:

TSLA crazy volume error.jpg

Volume is a bit higher than normal today!!! :p

I don't interpret that as satelite-phone connectivity.
Remember, Elon said Starlink connectivity for cars is not practical, so how would it be practical for a cell phone ?
I would expect the collaboration to be more along the lines of T-mobile cell towers getting a Starlink dish providing fast up-link to Internet, so cell service remains the "last mile" connectivity between phone and tower, but from that point the data goes via Starlink.
On the other side of the deal, Elon could get cheap data connectivity for all Tesla cars via the T-mobile cell network (which uses Starlink as a data backbone).