Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
9/3... so like,.. this is like Twitter paying off Zatko to play nice?

"cannot be cured" reads like its the end of the line.

Thinking to myself... whomever is running twitter is kind of dumb, lol.
Not pretending to be a lawyer and would like to hear from our resident legalese experts.....but....sure does read like Twitter *sugar*ed the bed and violated that section very clearly as the payment was not "ordinary course of business" to pay a whistleblower multi-millions.

Not pretending to be a lawyer and would like to hear from our resident legalese experts.....but....sure does read like Twitter *sugar*ed the bed and violated that section very clearly as the payment was not "ordinary course of business" to pay a whistleblower multi-millions.
It's also a round about way of admitting that everything uncovered is true. I just can't believe the heads of Twitter are that... like bag of rocks dumb. Unpossible!

His sources said 4680 at Kato has hit a run rate of 60k/day, however this number have not improved the past 2 months. 1000-2000 battery defects/day. Annualized to be producing 2gwh, or around 470 Model Ys/week.

We need to wait for the next video on Austin 4680 production to get the full picture.

The defect rate looks good, run rate is slow, but Austin could have multiple lines and/or improved equipment/line design.

A $20 share from presplits is $1.33 post splits then the current price of $300 divided by 1.33 is about 225x increase. His math comes to a 810x increase.

I'm not sure where he is getting the rest. I think he got the math wrong but lets let someone double check the math and see if we get two answers that agree.
He used the original amount he paid for them, not their value after the 5x and 3x splits. My purchase price is now valued at 3.10, whereas the original purchase price was around 45.

After-hours weekend share:
After reading countless articles poking fun a California for banishing ICE in 2035 while struggling to have adequate power to handle this year's heatwave (a fair criticism IMO), I dug into the renewable/solar farms feeding the CA grid. I remember during my last drive to Lake Tahoe seeing a VERY large solar farm near Mojave and I've seen others close to the Nevada border and was curious how much energy those large farms provide to the overall CA needs....Well, I was disappointed to calculate that the large Mojave farm I identified as the "Desert Sunlight Solar Farm" while providing a massive 1,324 GWh/year, was only 0.5% of what I eye-balled CA requires (per CALISO- incidentally a very data rich, real-time site) of around ~260TWh/year. So what I'd consider a massive solar-farm (6 sq. mi/3,900 acres) doesn't even produce 1% of CA's needed power! Anyhoo...then I read about the new BESS (battery energy storage system) that was just installed at the Desert Sunlight location which was 920 MWh and discovered that it is the 2nd largest in the world. Then I found that CA has a whopping 12 of the world's top 27 largest BESS which amount to 62% of the energy of the world's top 27 largest BESS.
LOCATIONCountMWh% of top 27
CA12694162%
FL19008%
TX36606%
HI11561%
CHINA3796.87%
AU26436%
JAPAN25455%
UK12662%
SK22903%
TOTAL top 272711,197.80Energy (MWh)

In summary, for a state that is struggling to keep the lights on during a massive heat wave, that currently has 62% of the world's largest BESS deployed already operational in their grid....well Tesla seems to have an ENORMOUS amount of BESS to supply this world...Let's ride!
While the huge solar farm you mention produces 1,324 GWh/year, California had planned to shut down Diablo Canyon nuclear plant-that produces 16,165 GWh/yr, or the equivalent of 12 of these solar farms. Diablo Canyon Power Plant - Wikipedia Better start buying A LOT more solar panels! IMO a bad move for the people of CA, but (potentially anyway) good for TSLA stockholders. I understand that the decision to shut it down has been overturned (barring lawsuits from the anti-power extremists). California lawmakers vote to extend Diablo Canyon nuclear plant operations as state battles energy emergency

Last edited:
While the huge solar farm you mention produces 1,324 GWh/year, California had planned to shut down Diablo Canyon nuclear plant-that produces 16,165 GWh/yr, or the equivalent of 12 of these solar farms. Diablo Canyon Power Plant - Wikipedia Better start buying A LOT more solar panels! IMO a bad move for the people of CA, but (potentially anyway) good for TSLA stockholders. I understand that the decision to shut it down may be overturned. California lawmakers vote to extend Diablo Canyon nuclear plant operations as state battles energy emergency
Diablo Canyon won't be shutdown. Everyone who was planing to decommission nuclear has had a rude awakening and is reversing course. Thanks Putin.

Last week, after much arm-twisting, both houses of the state legislature voted overwhelmingly in favor of Governor Gavin Newsom’s last-minute effort to extend the life span of PG&E’s twin domed nuclear power plants at Diablo Canyon by five years.

Before we all smugly chuckle at those stupid Californians and their idiotic decision to decommission a perfectly good nuke plant, maybe lets review the primary reason the plant license was agreed to lapse without renewal?
The plant, controversial from inception, was found during construction to have been placed on an active geological fault line, one capable of producing sizable earthquakes. Proponents insist the plant is robust enough to survive earthquakes and tsunami that might occur.
However, the plant is operated by PG&E and the disaster response would require rapid emergency action and thorough ongoing readiness procedures be strictly followed.
That would be this PG&E

you know, the one that is either burning down Northern California through neglected maintainence, or, out of spite, forcing massive power cutoffs during periods of highest heatwave weather, as a "cautionary" response.

so ya, not too happy the necessity to continue to throw the dice on Diablo.

9/3... so like,.. this is like Twitter paying off Zatko to play nice?

"cannot be cured" reads like its the end of the line.

Thinking to myself... whomever is running twitter is kind of dumb, lol.
Of all the pushback I've seen from Musk, this one is by far the most legit to me.

Not a lawyer, but it can't be cured because there's no avenue to reverse the action in any meaningful or acceptable way.

Again.....not a lawyer, but why on Earth would a board allow such a move? My interest is piqued for the first time in the legal side of this deal.

Of all the rocket fuel and wildly positive things on the calendar between now and Halloween, Elon walking away for nothing was not on my radar.

Last edited:
Before we all smugly chuckle at those stupid Californians and their idiotic decision to decommission a perfectly good nuke plant, maybe lets review the primary reason the plant license was agreed to lapse without renewal?
The plant, controversial from inception, was found during construction to have been placed on an active geological fault line, one capable of producing sizable earthquakes. Proponents insist the plant is robust enough to survive earthquakes and tsunami that might occur.
However, the plant is operated by PG&E and the disaster response would require rapid emergency action and thorough ongoing readiness procedures be strictly followed.
That would be this PG&E

you know, the one that is either burning down Northern California through neglected maintainence, or, out of spite, forcing massive power cutoffs during periods of highest heatwave weather, as a "cautionary" response.

The frustrating thing about all of this is neither the PG&E board, nor anyone in the C suite is going to serve any jail time for fleecing California for the past several decades.

I do think they should keep Diablo open until they have enough solar + storage to replace it.

ummm.... that is if someone bought a share for $1
It is 100x that if bought for a penny

Yeah that's a misprint (I asked MODS to help). My original shares are now worth* $16,300 each but paid ~$300/share back in Apr 2018.

*worth is a relative term. Not selling at $300/share now in Sep 2022, because they'll soon worth be much higher. ;)

1 current share is worth $300.
1 original shares is now equivalent to 15 current shares after 5x3 splits, so it is worth $4500.

And that is completely independent of how much was paid for it!
Today it is worth $4500. Period.

You can talk about how much profit you made on a share, that is a different question which does involve the price you paid for it.
But how much it is worth is simply defined by the market, thats the price of a share.

That would be this PG&E

It’s not like PG&E doesn’t have experience blowing up under-maintained gas pipes and killing people.

What could possibly go wrong with them in charge of nuclear material?

/s

• Helpful
Reactions: wtlloyd
The report from Lora Kolodny quotes the Tesla VP of Gigafactory Operations, Hrushi Sagar, as saying:

"I have some idea on the candidates [for the next Gigafactory] but I don’t think I’m at liberty right now to disclose those candidates because of the confidentiality around some of those things.” He did offer, “There is an exciting future for North America and all around the Americas.”

Elon visited Brazil and President Bolsonaro this year on May 20th. The official purpose of the meeting was to discuss the rollout of Starlink to remote jungle communities in Brazil and also monitoring the ecological health of the Amazon rainforest with satellites.

I thought about it and researched some more and now I think Brazil is likely to get a Tesla project announced in the next couple years, as former member jbcarioca suggested in May.

Brazil's Advantages:
  • Abundant local and regional supply of critical minerals
    • Nickel, Lithium, Copper
  • Mercosur common market membership
    • Free trade and movement between
  • Solid supply of high-quality engineers
  • Only country in South America that ever has had automotive manufacturing
  • Eastward-facing coastline with parts directly on the Equator
    • Optimal for efficient rocket launches because that's where the planet rotates fastest
    • Helps with SpaceX's mission objectives of minimizing fully considered cost per ton to orbit as well as maximizing total cargo capacity to Mars achievable with finite launch capacity
  • SpaceX could legally operate in Brazil because it's eligible for American export of defense articles under ITAR (international traffic in arms regulations)
    • SpaceX technology export is governed by ITAR
Brazil has the best nickel reserves in the Western Hemisphere by a wide margin. It has a sixth of the world's total reserves.

Nickel Reserve Rankings
  1. Indonesia - 21 million tons
  2. Australia - 20
  3. Brazil - 16
  4. Russia - 7
  5. Cuba - 6
  6. Philippines - 5

Brazil is conveniently right next door to the Lithium Triangle, a region of the Andean high desert salt flats which spans the common border of Bolivia, Argentina & Chile. The Lithium Triangle is by far the greatest lithium deposit on the planet. It holds the majority of the world's lithium reserves and is cheaper to mine and refine than spodumene hard rock ore in places like the USA, Australia and Canada. Maybe Tesla's salt-based clay extraction method for their land in Nevada will be even cheaper, but we don't know yet and it will be a while before Tesla mines substantial amounts of lithium from there. Bolivia doesn't mine much lithium yet because of a mix of factors including having reserves that are more difficult to access and the government corruption and instability. In the long run I think this resource may become available. Argentina and Chile, however, mine a bunch of lithium.

Lithium Reserve Rankings
  1. Bolivia - 21 million tons
  2. Argentina - 17
  3. Chile - 9
  4. USA - 7
  5. Australia - 6
  6. China - 5

1662771333445.png

Map of the Lithium Triangle within the Arid Diagonal of South America.

Chile also has an enormous endowment of copper, by far the largest on the planet, and Peru has about a third as much as Chile. Tesla vehicles, solar roof, and batteries all rely on copper for wiring. Chile and Peru have 31% of the world's copper and can easily support a Brazilian Gigafactory.

Copper Reserve Rankings
  1. Chile - 200 million tons
  2. Australia - 93
  3. Peru - 77
  4. Russia - 62
  5. Mexico - 53
  6. USA - 48

Triple Witching is coming up next week on the third Friday of September. For this bear market we see institution buying record $amount of put options. If the stock market continues to rise next week as we have seen this week, then likely a significant fraction of those puts will become worthless.

After that, there will be one less incentive to manipulate the market higher.

BC0B5F34-083E-41E9-89D3-3803D6176BA9.jpeg