Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe so. Or at least humans will have to be ok with routes that arent as efficient and the navigation systems to be smart enough to not take the route that FSD wont take the risks that us stupid humans take. It is stupid on high speed roads to exit on the left then cut across 4 lanes of traffic aggressively to then exit on the right. I sometimes dont think we will have true autonomous driving until cars can talk to each other and then negotiate traffic. Then we wouldnt really even need traffic signals except for pedestrians.
For this to happen the world would have to whittle down to a single car maker.
Right on track so far.

For today, it sure looks to me like the TSLA options market IS the macro. This is the precise amount of market-wide downward pressure that keeps TSLA $300c within shouting distance for tomorrow's close.

Options pull TSLA around like a dog on a chain. People blame the MM, but ultimately the options market as it is today wouldn't exist if they didn't hedge.

Probably an unpopular opinion around here, but options reform and getting rid of a lot of the manipulations people complain about would probably result in much more restricted options trading.

Not really defending the MM here, but just be careful of what you wish for.

Indicates to me they want to recognize more of the deferred revenue before Q3 is over.
Nope. They have said that they won't recognize additional money until it goes out to an entire region without any restrictions. (i.e. if you have paid for it and you have a capable car you get it.)

This still has a restriction of being an early release requiring a safety score above 80, and comes with a condition that they can take it away at any time.

So it is highly unlikely that any additional revenue will be recognize in Q3 for FSD. That will hopefully happen in Q4 when it goes to general release in North America.

Options pull TSLA around like a dog on a chain. People blame the MM, but ultimately the options market as it is today wouldn't exist if they didn't hedge.

Probably an unpopular opinion around here, but options reform and getting rid of a lot of the manipulations people complain about would probably result in much more restricted options trading.

Not really defending the MM here, but just be careful of what you wish for.
Yeah I'd have to completely disagree with this notion. Getting rid of options and/or severely restricting the manipulation that happens with options would protect investors and encourage much more genuine buy and hold investors across the market. Options are a tool that Wall St introduced to get more volatility and more profit. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Informative. (credit to Electrek or whever they got it from)
View attachment 852799
Not to rain on the parade (and yes I know the Tesla "console" comes with the car so in the end it doesn't matter) but the GPU memory amount and bandwidth is a severely limiting factor compared to PS5/Series X. As someone that works in the videogame industry, I cringe a bit when I see that they skimped on that 🥴 . It would have future proofed the hardware much more if they had.

But the trade off is that the screen resolution inside a Tesla aren't going to be running 4k and need nearly as high of resolution of textures to push through the memory bandwidth. So it will even itself out to some degree.

Last edited:
Just picked up my Model X my wife's model X LR (joining our Y). She's very happy with it.

1663262311073.png

Yeah I'd have to completely disagree with this notion. Getting rid of options and/or severely restricting the manipulation that happens with options would protect investors and encourage much more genuine buy and hold investors across the market. Options a tool that Wall St introduced to get more volatility and more profit. Simple as that.

I didn't say getting rid of options would be better for investors.

The free options market we have is a product of MM being able to act as the house.

If there aren't as many sellers as buyers for calls, the MM are the ones selling them. They are the ones holding the bag when Tesla goes to the moon.

We don't get the options market we have today from people selling covered calls.

Reactions: Tommy O
In fact....I'm starting to get a tingling bullish sensation in my octo-valve.

Call me cray, but I think we see MM's defending $333($1000 pre-split) by tomorrow afternoon.

You heard it here first!
Oh god we're doomed :p

In all seriousness, the action across the entire market this week has been encouraging to me at least and that's not because of TSLA's outperformance. To me the jury is still out on whether this weeks outperformance is genuine buying volume coming in or just options related, which it can easily get unwound on Monday and down TSLA goes.

But on the macro level today, yet again, growth/risk stocks are vastly outperforming the market while value/safe/macro cap stocks have sold off. As most people know that tracks the relation of how growth/risk trades verse value/safe in times like these, it's a very good sign to see such consistent outperformance this week when the overall market took a beating and signals that Wall St money is rotating back into growth. This dynamic is what usually leads the market out of a bear market.

Maybe FSD just doesn't work well in my city. I used 69.2 yesterday for a fairly simply drive, and it started to make a left turn at a light into oncoming traffic. Probably scared the crap out of the oncoming driver. It is also horrible with lane changes, lane number reductions, and deviations out of the lane for construction. To my eyes, it is nowhere close to FSD. It's like I have a different product than CA drivers who go 40 minutes without intervention. I'm lucky to go two minutes unless I'm going straight for 5....

I have a one year old Model Y at our vacation home with basic AP. No plan to pay for FSD on that car anytime soon.

Maybe FSD just doesn't work well in my city. I used 69.2 yesterday for a fairly simply drive, and it started to make a left turn at a light into oncoming traffic. Probably scared the crap out of the oncoming driver. It is also horrible with lane changes, lane number reductions, and deviations out of the lane for construction. To my eyes, it is nowhere close to FSD. It's like I have a different product than CA drivers who go 40 minutes without intervention. I'm lucky to go two minutes unless I'm going straight for 5....

I have a one year old Model Y at our vacation home with basic AP. No plan to pay for FSD on that car anytime soon.
Pretty sure FSD isn't meant to work at 43,000 feet.

🤷🏻‍ I’ve used it successfully on city streets at times as have others. I acknowledge that others have had issues, but so do a lot human drivers.
I've also used it successfully on city streets at times. But it's not useful until you can rely on it more often than "at times".

For city streets FSD to be useful, it has to get to the point where you can relax like you can on highway FSD. It's getting closer, but we still aren't there yet. We need a little more patience before we pop the cork.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rohan and Tommy O