Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since Moderators are not allowed to go after speeling misteaks, gramaticaliferous badbads and other such horrors, I am going to have to find some way to ban you to the 9th Circle of Hell for reasons other than for having created above a certain non-word.

Just you wait, Eliza Doolittle. Just. You. Wait.
Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a quay and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
It's rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
It's letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.
Martha Snow
The plural of Optimus has to be Optimists.

Because this hunk of metal is going to change our lives.
I felt Elon pronounced the Bot Optimist several times during AI 2. I imagined he needed to change the name for copyright laws.

In about 3 hours.

Edit: It's what I expect based on a faint memory of earlier P&D days. 🦾

wait.png

Since Moderators are not allowed to go after speeling misteaks, gramaticaliferous badbads and other such horrors, I am going to have to find some way to ban you to the 9th Circle of Hell for reasons other than for having created above a certain non-word.

Just you wait, Eliza Doolittle. Just. You. Wait.
Have you checked the facts?
It's true that he misspelled "optimi"

... there is never any time where you would give up performance/watt.
So if I can sell you a system with 10% more performance/watt you will buy it regardless of acquisition costs? Great! I can get you started for just $1 trillion per flop. Oh, it also requires 100 cubic feet per flop in your data center but you don't car about that either.

Final results ahead of a record P and D:

55 Yes!

1 No way.

1 Laugher.

IMO, if Tesla can execute an effective house cleaning robot for around 20K, the demand will be endless.

We cannot even get a house cleaner without breaking wage and labor laws. This is a 100% cash business and a large percentage of the people available are undocumented. All of the people who are interested in cleaning your house will not entertain anything but cash. Mentioning 1099s (a US tax document) is only for comedic value.

The other option is to engage a professional cleaning service where you pay even more expensive fees and have a different stranger showing up every time who hates their job.

So we run our rumba and do our best on our own. Get me an Optimus!
Pretty much the same here (except we have a Roborock rather than Rumba). Always amazes me how many people are willing to break the law rather than clean their own house. To be clear, I'm sure no one on this forum does so.

Reactions: traxila
So if I can sell you a system with 10% more performance/watt you will buy it regardless of acquisition costs? Great! I can get you started for just $1 trillion per flop. Oh, it also requires 100 cubic feet per flop in your data center but you don't car about that either.
In the real world and not some hypothetical unrealistic extreme case you presented, chips are priced in accordance to their performance per watt which a slight harsher penalty for uncompetitive processors and slight premium for market leaders. The reason is because every system is calculated based on the Total Cost Of Operation. This includes power usage, man power for optimization, floor space, cooling solution, etc etc.

The processor is usually a small fraction of the TCO where long term maintenance, power usage, reliability, and all that hardware feeding the processor plays a much bigger role.

Just to put things in perspective the amount of heat a single D1 generates. A typical single electric heating element on a stove top is rated at 1.8 to 2.4kw, this D1 chip which is the size of one of those element uses almost 8x the power. That's 8x the heat generated from what you use to cook and boil water.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncaNed
In the real world and not some hypothetical unrealistic extreme case you presented, chips are priced in accordance to their performance per watt which a slight harsher penalty for uncompetitive processors and slight premium for market leaders. The reason is because every system is calculated based on the Total Cost Of Operation. This includes power usage, man power for optimization, floor space, cooling solution, etc etc.

The processor is usually a small fraction of the TCO where long term maintenance, power usage, reliability, and all that hardware feeding the processor plays a much bigger role.

Just to put things in perspective the amount of heat a single D1 generates. A typical single electric heating element on a stove top is rated at 1.8 to 2.4kw, this D1 chip which is the size of one of those element uses almost 8x the power. That's 8x the heat generated from what you use to cook and boil water.
Of course, the water doesn't boil instantly on the stove.

LOL. That’s George Hotz. Comma.ai is his company. One of the bigger egos I’ve ever seen. Remember they said they might pass Tesla FSD by the end of this year? How’s that going?

He was the first person Elon approached to lead the Autopilot team when it first started up. Glad that didn’t turn out. Smart guy but he’s a little out of touch with reality IMO.

Yeah, perfect example by contrast of why Elon is so much of a unicorn. George's company is and will go nowhere. He has zero business sense. Hopefully George will mature and realize that he doesn't in fact know everything. If he doesn't, he may turn into Dan O'Dowd...