Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most important snippet from the P&D report:
"As our production volumes continue to grow, it is becoming increasingly challenging to secure vehicle transportation capacity and at a reasonable cost during these peak logistics weeks. In Q3, we began transitioning to a more even regional mix of vehicle builds each week, which led to an increase in cars in transit at the end of the quarter."

Basically, starting to unwind the end of Q push of the past, simply because it's hard to find enough capacity to transport that many autos in that short time period.

I'm happy with 366k production. Deliveries at 343 shows that 22k were en route at end of Q. With a hurricane on the east coast USA and a Typhoon affecting Shanghai, I'm fine with that.

Production is what matters, and that ramped appropriately.
Wording in P&D report indicates they are starting to undo the wave delivery pattern. Will help to bring down delivery costs.
In the short term we will get misleading bear commentary but it will nice to see the month end delivery mad rush end.

It's almost exactly what I expected for production, but I also expected higher deliveries than that. Still a new record quarter, but this will make hitting the Q4 numbers needed for 50% YoY much more difficult. I feel we'll come in a bit under 50% growth for 2022, maybe 45-48%. Which of course isn't terrible! :cool:
Tesla never guided for 50% YoY growth. They guided for 50% average growth over the next few years. Last year greatly exceeded 50% and this year may very well come in around 40%. The two year average is still over 50%

Don’t get me wrong, the numbers don’t affect my valuation.

But you can bet wall st is going to grossly overreact to these numbers. Wouldn’t be surprised by a 10% down day…..especially if macros are weak

Honestly, I was expecting Wall St to pull their usual shenanigans regardless of the report. It's pretty much become a constant.

Publicly, they bash Tesla. Privately, they buy every dip.

It's almost exactly what I expected for production, but I also expected higher deliveries than that. Still a new record quarter, but this will make hitting the Q4 numbers needed for 50% YoY much more difficult. I feel we'll come in a bit under 50% growth for 2022, maybe 45-48%. Which of course isn't terrible! :cool:

The delivery shortfall is very temporary as those 20k+ vehicles are en route to customers. In fact Q4 numbers may be boosted by spillover from these Q3 sales. full year delivery numbers should be on track if Tesla sorts out the delivery transportation bottleneck.

Who was expecting only 343k delivered?
*Edit to add: that's not quite what I said

It was discussed here and elsewhere that deliveries were uncharacteristically being shifted out of Shanghai to export, in the last weeks of the quarter. The possible reduced deliveries result because of increased in-transit vehicles was anticipated.

Most important snippet from the P&D report:
"As our production volumes continue to grow, it is becoming increasingly challenging to secure vehicle transportation capacity and at a reasonable cost during these peak logistics weeks. In Q3, we began transitioning to a more even regional mix of vehicle builds each week, which led to an increase in cars in transit at the end of the quarter."

Basically, starting to unwind the end of Q push of the past, simply because it's hard to find enough capacity to transport that many autos in that short time period.
Reliving to see that. The lower than anticipated deliverables doesn't reflect a lack of demand or increase in unsold inventory. Simply a capacity issue associated with shipping them. BFD, those in-transit or ready for transit will move in the next couple of weeks.

The release specifically states those 22,000 vehicles have been ordered and are en route to purchasers, similar to what @bkp_duke writes, but in this investment environment I also suspect Monday is going to be a…..buying opportunity kind of a day.

Yep, I'll be buying some more LEAPS on Monday. Without selling TSLA shares to do so. Time to use up that quarterly bonus check.

Tesla never guided for 50% YoY growth. They guided for 50% average growth over the next few years. Last year greatly exceeded 50% and this year may very well come in around 40%. The two year average is still over 50%

Exactly. Many people expect 50%+ growth every year, but one year might be 40% and the next might be 60%. The average yearly expected growth is 50%, so some years will likely be less than that. Like 2022 will probably be. Q2 shutdown in China was just too big a hit.

I'm still happy with these numbers. It's good production progress QoQ, and with 20K+ cars in transit the reality isn't as bad as the numbers make it seem. Plus we did have a few weeks of shutdowns in China for Q3 again, thus Q4 should likely be much higher.

The delivery shortfall is very temporary as those 20k+ vehicles are en route to customers. In fact Q4 numbers may be boosted by spillover from these Q3 sales. full year delivery numbers should be on track if Tesla sorts out the delivery transportation bottleneck.
Exactly, it's not as if they're going to be sitting around gathering dust without any buyers, they're in transit and will just boost next quarters delivery numbers. We all know wall street will have their fun short term...

It’s going to change the lives of the people currently doing unskilled labor even more. They won’t be able to compete and will lose their jobs. If they’re lucky they may get a universal basic income.
Fast forward to Optimus actually displacing humans....So in order to pay for the inevitable increase in taxation that will be levied on the working population to pay for UBI, I'd suggest buying more TSLA 😉

Wonder if governments offering UBI will try to fund it by taxing Tesla, the robotic worker manufacturers, who replaces humans?

Reactions: TN Mtn Man