Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The person calling for $200 a few pages back seems like Warren Redlich compared to Ken. He's not saying why he thinks TSLA will get there. This seems rather insane, or am I a toxic bull?
1664806944115.png

JP Morgan and Truist raised PTs today.
1664807956662.png

The person calling for $200 a few pages back seems like Warren Redlich compared to Ken. He's not saying why he thinks TSLA will get there. This seems rather insane, or am I a toxic bull?
View attachment 859513
It's a shame. He is going down the typical rabbit hole of a Tesla bull who sold and became bearish, including lashing out at those who disagree. It's a common pattern.

Last edited:
View attachment 859513

That seems ridiculous. The PE would need to drop to around 30-35 in order for that to happen. That would be quite the insane drop in valuation for a company growing at 50%+ per year with incredible margins.

The most shocking thing to me after AI day is that people still don't realize how close Tesla is to FSD, how large their lead must be, and the fact that nobody on Wallstreet is putting any value to it. That alone should have been a 10% up day today.....
IMHO, still quite far from approved, autonomous, monetizable FSD like Robotaxi though.

Zooming Out
FY '19: 365.2k vehicles produced
Q1 '18: 34.5k
Q3 '22: 365.9k

Q3 had slightly more production in one quarter, with production shutdowns for line upgrades and with parts shortages, than all of 2019 had, a 4x increase in just 3 years.

Q3's run rate was an order of magnitude higher than Q1 2018's rate. Specifically, that's 10.6x growth in 18 quarters (4.5 years), which is 69% compound annual growth. This exponential growth remains amazingly steady; if we want to go back two orders of magnitude then that takes us back another 5 years to around January 2013. If this ~69% annual growth rate continues for one more order of magnitude, then in 2027 Tesla will produce about 16 million cars.

View attachment 859302

QuarterTotal ProductionTTM Production
Q1 201834,494
Q2 201853,339
Q3 201880,142
Q4 201886,555254,530
Q1 201977,138297,174
Q2 201987,048330,883
Q3 201996,155346,896
Q4 2019104,891365,232
Q1 2020102,672390,766
Q2 202082,272385,990
Q3 2020135,036424,871
Q4 2020179,757499,737
Q1 2021180,338577,403
Q2 2021206,421701,552
Q3 2021237,823804,339
Q4 2021305,840930,422
Q1 2022305,4071,055,491
Q2 2022258,5801,107,650
Q3 2022365,9231,235,750
zooming out further

BZGeolR.jpg

He is told he's quite stubborn from time to time.

Tesla is soon to be faced with serious political risk as increasing global sales tend to reach increasingly difficult markets, at least in political terms. Volatility already is evident when political decisions force non-optimal production, distribution and sales decisions.

There is no way to avoid such issues. I'm confident we all agree.
The dilemma is how to keep ourselves informed of relevant risks without descending into political rant.

We do have Ukraine threads which undoubtedly reflect participants biases. Nobody complains. That thread quotes both Russian and Ukrainian sources. OTOH, Market Politics seems to have been a bust because it descended into acrimonious left/right US issues.
We narrowly avert acrimony, sometimes, on China issues and at other times we end out with sloganeering.

Recently we've had a fair amount of CA/TX political posturing.

So, serious question: How do we consider the political risks without descending to political posturing?

Long ago I was part of a country risk evaluation process for a multinational. I wrote a piece recommending a zero country risk limit for a country, based on political assessment. My ultimate boss was a friend of the leader who was deposed a few months later. Truth did not defend a politically stupid choice. I survived and even thrived later but never really was trusted. Not too much later I quit and moved on.

That is a digression, perhaps. Here we just ban each other when we offend. We also, some of us (me explicitly included) post things we think would be interesting when they're tangential to our subject.

So, M'Lord, how can we deal with political risks to Tesla without cluttering extraneous debate?
The answers to your questions are the same and easy. None of it is relevant to Tesla. They’ll simply keep their heads down and chug along like they have from the start. They’ll continue to make the right, moral and ethical decisions for all of us regardless of all the extraneous 💩political or otherwise.

What you’re trying to do is make up scenarios that somehow go so wrong for Tesla that it mortally wounds them. Not going to happen. If the world goes so bad that Tesla is destroyed then we’ve got much bigger problems on our hands than the value of our portfolios.

This company does not operate like any other on the planet. They do not make decisions like every other company (or you) make. Take Elon’s words to heart; Tesla will do the right thing even if it means lawsuits against them. Those lawsuits will not kill Tesla, but on the off chance they do, see paragraph above.

I understand that you and many others are compelled by your nature to think negatively, to endlessly search to find that one thing that can destroy the best thing that has ever happened to us all. Every once in a while it isn’t too good to be true.

Tesla will transcend politics. It is you and others who want to make things political despite your words. There isn’t a box that exists to put Tesla in, stop trying so hard to find one.

This morning’s market activity reiterates why I, many many quarters ago - it was late 2014 or early 2015 - opined how blissful it would be were Tesla truly to thumb its nose at Wall St and provide, each 24 hours (midnight PST/PDT would work best), that day’s auto production. Daily sales would also be grand but those data are probably a little more sticky.

It would have worked when there was only a single production plant; it would work far better now, and continue thusly with each new plant.

Why public companies choose to submit themselves to this Hell every ninety days is absurd. Why a manufacturing company does it is downright MaxPlaidLudicrous. A P&L statement I can understand, but when one’s flagship product is a $50-150k item - to provide such numbers is the lowest of all low-hanging fruits. Easiest plucked; greatest return.

I'd say based on nothing. If somebody randomly tweeted 'Ford exploring possible purchase of Tesla', would that give it any actual kernel of truth?
Other than the fact that Ford cannot afford to purchase Tesla in their lifetime, i would have to agree that there would be no truth if a headline like that came out. Tesla and Google on the other hand 'may' have some common interests that could warrant a partnership.