Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok here is my list of things I think should be in the settlement letter:
  • Tesla will submit monthly updates as to compliance with Elon’s settlement [+1 for SEC, as they requested in court]
  • Should the SEC find they believe a twit was material & after RFI from Tesla shows he did not obtain pre-approval, they enter into court appointed (pre-appointed) confidential arbitration [+1 for the court, saves court time]
  • The SEC accepts Tesla’s current policies and procedures, regarding the previously agreed to settlement, including allowing Musk discretion in twitting. [+1 for Elon, he gets to continue to follow what he previously agreed to]
May it please the court, as I believe it provides a win for everybody.
Sorry to quote my own post. @AlMc based on your reading of the hearing, do you think something like the above would appease the Judge?

Also, @TNEVol what do you expect to see from the talks between the SEC and Musk?

A tiny bit of local Zeebrugge news: Tesla voert leveringen op in Zeebrugge

Apparently Elon decided to skip charging, cleaning and installing accessories in Zeebrugge in order to get the cars delivered in Q1.
Which explains why my car was fairly dirty and only half charged on delivery.
Going forward, these tasks will be performed in Zeebrugge, as the operations revert to a normal steady state.
The article also mentions that the Germans should become nervous, as the market share of Model 3 in Q1 in the midsize premium sedan was 31% versus 29% for Mercedes C class, 14% for Audi A4 and 13% for BMW 3- class.

You should mention that this ranking is for Europe as a whole, not Germany. In Germany, Model 3 got 6.3% of the so called Mittelklasse (middle class :) ), which itself makes up about 21% of all registrations. Leader in this segment is AUDI A4, S4, RS4 series at 15.7%.
https://www.kba.de/SharedDocs/Publi..._2019_03_xlsx.xlsx?__blob=publicationFile&v=5

All this talk about the SEC and the judge. Does all that REALLY matter if there is not enough demand to sustain Tesla short or long term?

I don't know why we're even talking about the SEC case when Tesla's deliveries were down 31%.

Yes, I'm scared. Now I know why Tesla was cutting prices and playing games with the announcement of the $35k car (looks like another attempt to bring people in and then hope they'd just go ahead and buy a more expensive model), and cut prices by thousands of dollars on inventory cars. I was hoping the Model S price cut was due to a new model coming out (whether a refresh or longer range), but in reality it was a desperate attempt to sell cars and get the deliveries up.

With all the games, Tesla could only muster up 63,000 deliveries. And even if you add the 10k in transit, that's a pitiful 73,000. Why will this get better next quarter? Or the next?

Someone tell me something to make me feel better. I'm a ball of gloom right now.
Why do you think there is a lack of demand? Do people not like Teslas? Have they reached market saturation in all markets? (not even in the US) Once they reach market saturation are Tesla owners not going to buy new Teslas to replace the ones that get old, are wrecked etc.?

Demand growth is either going to be linear or exponential. Even if it stayed flat that would still be a business that could pull in nice profits. We are still showing major signs that Tesla is production limited. Heck, they still can't divert resources to building batteries for power walls.

I'm going to the drag strip tonight. I'll give some people a nice view of my taillights and try to convert a few people while I'm there. ;)

Heck, Tesla had to slow down their production lines this quarter - we went from production hell to demand hell overnight.

Oh yeah, because we'd be in such a great situation today if instead of delivering 63k deliveries and producing 71k, they had instead delivered 63k vehicles but produced 91k, so that they could tack a billion dollars of negative FCF onto the books for Q1. :Þ

All this talk about the SEC and the judge. Does all that REALLY matter if there is not enough demand to sustain Tesla short or long term?

I don't know why we're even talking about the SEC case when Tesla's deliveries were down 31%.

Yes, I'm scared. Now I know why Tesla was cutting prices and playing games with the announcement of the $35k car (looks like another attempt to bring people in and then hope they'd just go ahead and buy a more expensive model), and cut prices by thousands of dollars on inventory cars. I was hoping the Model S price cut was due to a new model coming out (whether a refresh or longer range), but in reality it was a desperate attempt to sell cars and get the deliveries up.

With all the games, Tesla could only muster up 63,000 deliveries. And even if you add the 10k in transit, that's a pitiful 73,000. Why will this get better next quarter? Or the next?

Someone tell me something to make me feel better. I'm a ball of gloom right now.
It appears to be more difficult to deliver cars at the other end of the world than in the US. That isn't really surprising to me, since the company only manufactures them in the US (for now).

Why would you characterize this as a demand issue?

Whose sales were down 31% from last quarter besides Tesla? Flat? Hell, I'd have jumped through hoops for flat. You're trying to make me feel better?

And Tesla has a relatively new model out that was supposed to have 400,000 deposits. How many have they sold......200,000 and suddenly no one wants one? WTH?

What will be the ongoing demand for the 3 in the U.S.? Globally? I sure don't see anything close to the 1 million Musk claimed.

Heck, Tesla had to slow down their production lines this quarter - we went from production hell to demand hell overnight.

It is not that Q1 was low, but that Q3 and Q4 were high due the backlog of 3 and the end of the $7,500 level tax credit.

Musk has said the Y will likely outsell the 3,S,and X combined, I don't know where you are getting 1 million 3s a year from (in the near term) production is only planned to hit a 500k/yr rate at the end of this year...

Whose sales were down 31% from last quarter besides Tesla? Flat? Hell, I'd have jumped through hoops for flat. You're trying to make me feel better?

And Tesla has a relatively new model out that was supposed to have 400,000 deposits. How many have they sold......200,000 and suddenly no one wants one? WTH?

What will be the ongoing demand for the 3 in the U.S.? Globally? I sure don't see anything close to the 1 million Musk claimed.

There is a bigger game at play here.
Some see it, some don't. Model S/X are/were the mean to get to mass-produced FSD capable (hardware wise at first) EV.
The more Model 3's are in the wild- the faster FSD capability will improve (collecting edge cases data).
Consider this- many TSLA investors hold the stock for the FSD potential alone. The rest is bonus.

If you question Model 3 demand, then better reassess completely why you are in TSLA stock in the first place.

They also have once in a while very good deals on flux capacitors.

True, but I've never seen an Oscillation Overthruster go on sale!
489CAC5D-81E8-4A09-9F38-8E96E174EC14.jpeg

I think the only think to be concerned about is that S/X sales are declining YOY in established markets. They need refreshed badly.
OTOH it wouldn't matter if Tesla could ramp Model 3 production to 8k/week. At 10K/week you could almost discontinue S and X without much impact to profits.
The issue is I think battery production keeping them from ramping fully. They do seem to struggle with logistics as well. If they could make 8K model 3s a week, could they deliver them?
Those are real questions of concern. Not weak demand.

I now declare that TSLA is not allowed to go down anymore. That the worst is behind us. That we and Musk and company have endured enough. The clouds shall start to part, and the sun will shine upon us and Tesla.

Make it so!
So say we all!
(And any other affirmatives!)

People, who is with me?!!
So let it be written. So let it be done.

Maybe we could start a little movement going to get much more bang from that "best advertisement buck."

Just as Uber and Lyft drivers have stickers or little placards on their cars reading "Uber" or "Lyft"

What if Tesla owners put up little signs in car windows for the rest of us to see on the road that read something like "RealS3XY.com" and maybe a "Heart My Tesla" image of a red heart.

and, anyone venturing to RealS3XY.com could find a list of the top 20 reasons you'd be pissed if the media talked you out of buying a Tesla with misinformation. 20 minsinfo talking points, each debunked. video testimonials,...

Not so joking here... might seem like, "yeah, who would bother going online to read anything," but, if people kept seeing it over and over on Teslas, some would likely start looking it up, and it could start a inserting into the conversation the very basic message, "that flood of bad press about Tesla? is it true? is it journalism or bought and paid for false programming?"

But, but, how do we get Tesla owners to start doing this? YouTubers start promoting this, and it can take off. Key is connecting the idea that this is a way for us to have a voice in the public discourse re Tesla, otherwise heavily, heavily tainted by big media. I'm sure even vehicle owners not invested in the stock sometimes want to throw their computer, phone, etc. against the wall when they hear yet another falsehood and/or gross distortion about a product and company they are so pleased with.

Y!U2?

Howzat? :)

Reactions: Lucky_Man
Firstly, Tesla isn't telling much about this - and they shouldn't, they are the industry leader who has various proprietary secrets to protect.

But I got the impression that they have two main methods of data collection: on Autopilot disengagements, and also they have filter conditions they are sending out to the fleet. So if say Andrej Karpathy is interested in disengagement events about "tunnels", they might have the methods to get only such events from the 100 cars a day that disengage around tunnels, not millions of disengagement events per day.

I believe Tesla's labeled image database must be in the millions - perhaps hundreds of millions of images, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was above a billion images.

They are not doing stereoscopic vision the usual way, instead their networks recognize 3D perspective patterns in 2D frames and to turn them into distance and perhaps object attitude (object movement vector) attributes. So their networks can, in essence, do things like:

1554374796499-7BNCYSF9WYYFI3ZKMC8V

1554204528156-S3KHCBKQ0L4NPOF29AJ2

Note that these are actually processed 2D images of cars, which the neural network recognized as 3D cars and the output is rotated by the neural network itself. I.e. after training the network you can input "144°" rotation as an input parameter, and you'll get a rotated car generated by the neural network.

So the GIFs above are not real photos of cars, they are the generated output of the trained neural network and a camera/view position parameter.

See this:

"HoloGAN: Unsupervised learning of 3D representations from natural images"

Thu Nguyen Phuoc - Work

This is pretty close to how the visual cortex in the human brain is working I believe. This is how we can see in 3D just fine even with a single eye.

This is incorrect. We know what Tesla is using/doing right down to the very details. They are using modified Inception GoogleNet networks for perception and classical controls for driving policy. They don't use any kind of GAN nor do they have any special proprietary secrets that isn't industry standard because we have a very good view of what they are doing through community hackers.

Lastly the industry standard methods that Tesla uses and others uses does not do the above. Those are GANs (Generative Adversarial Networks) which is quite different from a CNN (Convulutional Neural Network).

I should have been trading the last 2 years yes. Sell when it goes over $300, buy when it goes back to $260. I would have a made a mint now. Holding long on a stock that trades heavily on sentiment is a sucker's game and I've been a sucker. I intend to sell most of my stake and trade in and out instead of letting it just sit there doing nothing while the market keeps going up.

A middle course might be better. After reading this forum a lot I'm keeping my core shares in a Roth IRA (where a big climb or the ever-elusive-mythical-short-squeeze will be tax free) and swing trading the rest a bit. Can give you some of the best of both worlds. YMMV

Reactions: Mobius484

DId you follow the (non fake) news?

1. Tesla has still not yet release the Model 3 Standard Range. Many of the reservation holders are waiting for the $35K version. It's been repeated thousands of times in the media and you're still asking the question?
  2. Tesla does not yet offer Model 3 leasing options. Many are waiting for that too?
  3. Who said "no one wants one"? Who's this guy? Because the Model 3 is still outselling all other medium-size premium cars, as far as I know.
But again, why do you insist on considering the missed *delivery* goal as a demand issue when it's best described as a delivery issue?

I should have been trading the last 2 years yes. Sell when it goes over $300, buy when it goes back to $260. I would have a made a mint now. Holding long on a stock that trades heavily on sentiment is a sucker's game and I've been a sucker. I intend to sell most of my stake and trade in and out instead of letting it just sit there doing nothing while the market keeps going up.

Hindsight is sooo easy. Ofcouse everyone can say they should have sold at 300+ (or 350 or 370) and gotten back in at 250-260. You would have made a bundle. It’s such an easy thing to say with today’s knowledge. But what if SP had broken out of the trading range and was hovering at 500 now? Would you not call yourself a sucker after having sold at 300+?