Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The IRA credits for battery production are refundable from what I can tell, if you use the "Direct Pay" option, the credits are considered tax payments and can be refunded. From: Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 – New Tax Credits for Manufacturers of Clean Energy Equipment | Norton Rose Fulbright

Good catch. The tax-exempt company criteria of (a) gets overruled by a few sector specific carve outs.

The articles regarding 6417 call out that it is only applicable to new facilities placed in service after Dec 31, 2022 and then only for 5 years.
It also locks one out from credit transfer for cash unless permanently revoked. There is also a 22 year carry forward option.

Really close to Houston...
Except the recent Supreme Court ruling in Oklahoma v. Castro-Huerta reversed all of previous precedent (that tribes enjoy sovereign rights on their lands which can only be trumped by Federal law) preventing states from enforcing state laws in Indian Territories. So with that reversal Texas can, in principal, enforce their state's no manufacturer direct sales on tribal lands too.

Lex interviews interesting people, but Lex himself doesn't add much value. I wonder if there is a market to edit Lex's videos and simply delete the parts where Lex talks leaving only the good stuff :)
Lex's superpower is getting interesting people to have interesting conversations with him. Lex contributes very little. He mostly knows when to shut up. But for some reason people are willing to talk to him. I don't know why.

I was particularly impressed with his multiple interviews of Stephen Wolfram. Anybody who has ever been in a room with Wolfram knows he has an ego as big as a house. It fills whatever space is available. He's condescending, obnoxious, and brilliant. Also totally way out there.

He talked to Lex as though Lex was a human being worthy of having a conversation with him. That was truly amazing to me!

I used to listen to lots of Lex's interviews with computer people and science people. More recently he's been branching out to crypto bros and martial arts people, as well as making his interviews way, way longer than they should be, so I've stopped. I'll make an exception for Karpathy's interview -- two hours in now, and I only fell asleep once!

Last edited:
It’s only a matter of time before the left starts to demand that advertisers boycott Twitter. He is showing a lack of respect for his co-investors on the Twitter deal.

Tesla is immune to his antics for now but they will add up very quickly at Twitter.
Well no, Tesla isn't immune to his antics because a lot of funds don't want to invest in Tesla simply because of Elons unpredictable nature. Getting a negative ROI on Tesla shares over 2 years because he sold billions of dollars worth to pay tax (On purpose) and to buy Twitter isn't something they can explain to their investors. Their clients will pull money out and put it in another fund that owns boomer stocks because those have outperformed Tesla over 2 years. It's all about ROI when you are wealthy.

TBH he probably saw it , skim read it and posted it to twitter in the space of 20 seconds taking a dump, but its worrying he is looking at that kind of thing and not asking his own questions on authenticity
Always interesting to see some people on this forum blindly giving Elon the benefit of the doubt and that he is playing 4D chess. It is ok to question his comments and motives sometimes without people stating that if you are unhappy, sell your stock. What a cop out answer. Elon carries a lot of influence and now, so much more with twitter. Act like it...our democracy is very much at stake.

Is it not a fair conversation to have about how Elon has the time to be CEO of Tesla anymore? He can be Chief Product Officer and collect his 2018 stock comp and let someone else steer the company full time. Why is he so scared to give up the CEO title?
He's not scared. As Karpathy explained in his Fridman interview, Elon is a master at keeping the organization lean. He does that by wielding a big hammer. He's not afraid to use it and it's a big part of why Elon's companies are so successful.

I believe his official title is "Techno King " 🤴
I could be wrong, it's been a few years since he handed me his last business card.

See the follow-on, where he acknowledges the legal requirements of certain titles in a corporation, and selects “President” to retain. All other non-legally required titles are purely optional / corporate discretion. Perhaps something he should have spent a moment asking about prior to his first tweet…

He's not scared. As Karpathy explained in his Fridman interview, Elon is a master at keeping the organization lean. He does that by wielding a big hammer. He's not afraid to use it and it's a big part of why Elon's companies are so successful.

Exactly the thing pointed out by Jim Keller also.

For a large company like Tesla to be dynamic, to be what it always has been, which isa to keep rapidly evolving and changing you need to kepe things lean and keep chaos in the system otherwise it all solidifies and you cant progress.

I can understand previous controversial posts being kept off this thread as they were examples of bad jokes or simple controversial positions, but the Elon post today was a significant ramp up in terms of “detachment from reality” level that I think its important to discuss from the perspective of his mental health.

I cant get my head around why would such an intelligent person, like we know Elon is, post what he did (That was so obviously incorrect). I’m relieved he deleted it eventually instead of doubling down, but what sort of headspace was he in to post that I can not fathom.
So, what are you going to do about it?

Seriously. It’s been discussed to death by about 5 people in the other thread with many others throwing their hats or socks in.

How long must we dissect the action, the man, the issue, before you and others who can’t get their heads around it, don’t like it and are unhappy will actually go and DO something about it.

It’s like you all want to sit in a boardroom talking about how you need to pick a committee to discuss what’s wrong so that that committee can pick another committee to write a report, but not a single one of you wants to get off your duffs and DO something.

Actions speak louder than words. I think enough words have been typed, go take action for once. K?

See the follow-on, where he acknowledges the legal requirements of certain titles in a corporation, and selects “President” to retain. All other non-legally required titles are purely optional / corporate discretion. Perhaps something he should have spent a moment asking about prior to his first tweet…
Damn, I got busted quick. I guess I have to come clean. He didn't hand the business card to me. I took it out of his wallet when we were on a Yacht last year..

So, what are you going to do about it?

Seriously. It’s been discussed to death by about 5 people in the other thread with many others throwing their hats or socks in.

How long must we dissect the action, the man, the issue, before you and others who can’t get their heads around it, don’t like it and are unhappy will actually go and DO something about it.

It’s like you all want to sit in a boardroom talking about how you need to pick a committee to discuss what’s wrong so that that committee can pick another committee to write a report, but not a single one of you wants to get off your duffs and DO something.

Actions speak louder than words. I think enough words have been typed, go take action for once. K?
Agreed actions speak louder than words. One more interested in the spotlight than I might take actions such as raising a shareholder proposal.

Instead, the action I have taken has been to discuss these types of concerns with other investors, and use it to make informed decisions such as whether to hold or sell shares, selling another 9,000 shares last week (selling, not short selling, lest there be any confusion). The continued conversation some of us would like to have regarding the words and actions of a major shareholder and major executive and public face of a company we are all (presumably all here at least) invested in is a reasonable conversation to have, and will help inform my next actions r.e. holding or selling additional blocks.

Agreed actions speak louder than words. One more interested in the spotlight than I might take actions such as raising a shareholder proposal.

Instead, the action I have taken has been to discuss these types of concerns with other investors, and use it to make informed decisions such as whether to hold or sell shares, selling another 9,000 shares last week (selling, not short selling, lest there be any confusion). The continued conversation some of us would like to have regarding the words and actions of a major shareholder and major executive and public face of a company we are all (presumably all here at least) invested in is a reasonable conversation to have, and will help inform my next actions r.e. holding or selling additional blocks.
I’ll be buying the dip.

Well no, Tesla isn't immune to his antics because a lot of funds don't want to invest in Tesla simply because of Elons unpredictable nature. Getting a negative ROI on Tesla shares over 2 years because he sold billions of dollars worth to pay tax (On purpose) and to buy Twitter isn't something they can explain to their investors. Their clients will pull money out and put it in another fund that owns boomer stocks because those have outperformed Tesla over 2 years. It's all about ROI when you are wealthy.
Ummm, TSLA is green on the 2 year chart, like a whole lot of other stock charts. And then it seems a whole lot of stuff happened, and almost every stock but Pfizer has had a pretty painful last year. I read on TMC that there was something called a pandemic, and then there were these disruptions to some ‘supply chain’, and then the whole tech and auto sectors got hit with a shortage of computer chips, and it seems Tesla had to invent their own chip solutions as a work-around, and then China actually made Tesla close their China Gigafactory for a spell, and then people on TMC were debating whether it took 2 or more negative quarters to define a recession, and then they talked about interest rates going up every time this Fed guy named Jerome would speak……….. And the TMC folks said all those things were bad for TSLA’s ROI and for the whole market - except maybe that pandemic thing - that was kinda good for Pfizer at least it seems. But I don’t recall ever reading anyone blaming all that on Elon before. Was it really just his stock selling and Twitter comments that resulted in the poor ROI performance as you claim during this period where almost everyone else got beat down too? Or might you be willing to think there is at least the potential that just maybe a bit more happened along the way that might have contributed…..?

Last edited: