Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey i did notice something, if this makes anyone feel any better.

NVDA
MKT Cap 343B
P/E Ratio 45
Revenue 6.7B
Net income 656M
Net profit margin 9.79%

TSLA
MKA Cap 556B
P/E Ratio 54
Revenue 21.45B
Net income 3.29B
Net profit margin 15.34%
NVDA may be more suspect to crypto meltdowns than Tesla though :)

Everyone on the podcast question how it doesn't make sense for Elon to sell at market lows when he doesn't yet need the money. Even if he needed the money, it certainly not 4B
So why did he sell? He's not done either it looks like ..it's a lot of coin.

To me TSLA looks like a screaming buy and I never got the fascination with Twatter so....I guess I don't know a lot. I'm curious as to the motives for selling.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricIAC
...I fear that Elon has come unhinged...

Why don't you take the time to listen to the man himself before spreading your ignorant fear in this forum and elsewhere. I posted two listening opportunities a few hours ago.

Someone mentioned days ago that his wife disliked Elon until she listened to the Ron Baron interview, then she wanted to buy more TSLA.

Edit: Sorry about my irritated tone, but I get irritated by the anti-Elon smear campaign being parroted here. I see enough of it in the mainstream media.

Some bitter venting here about Elon seems based on media hit-pieces rather than listening to what he actually says, such as the recent Ron Baron interview and the Twitter Q&A today.

For example, many "journalists" and investors don't understand what has made Tesla and SpaceX the most wildly successful companies in their industries.

"Madness! Chaos! Mercurial unstable childishness!" is what you hear from an industry that Elon is disrupting. They don't tell you (because they don't want you to know) that the strategy of fail-fast-and-learn helps Tesla and SpaceX drive GM and ULA toward bankruptcy. With the changes coming to Twitter, many media companies are next.

Last edited:
Just finished reading the rest of the replies to this, and I didn’t see this point made clearly.

I listened to the clip. The question was, Reporter: “Do you think Elon Musk is a threat to U.S. national security?”

So, Biden’s comment wasn’t off the cuff. Before he answered he chuckled and made an expression like Elon did at the AI day in Austin when asked a question about China. Biden knew it was a sensitive subject and as noted by another poster, very carefully said that he thought it should be looked at but was not suggesting there was anything improper about it.

My take is it was an attempt by someone to jab Elon, and encourage Biden to spike the ball. Biden mostly deflected it. I don’t see this one as a negative to anyone, just a failed attempt to damage Elon, one of many.
I agree completely with your assessment. However, after just watching NBC News, it's obvious MSM is trying to make something of it. Prolly a big click bait headline tomorrow...

Everyone on the podcast question how it doesn't make sense for Elon to sell at market lows when he doesn't yet need the money. Even if he needed the money, it certainly not 4B

He could well have needed 4B (in fact Gary estimated 5B IIRC) if some of the equity investors had withdrawn and he needed a short term bridge loan to close the deal which he's now selling to repay.

Also reminder this thread exists for any further discussion on the funding bit:

He has also said (I forget where) that Twitter will look into additional means of identity verification if necessary. I can think of some possibilities such as driver's license, passport, etc.

Also, the punishment for impersonation is loss of your account, not its "verified" mark. And no refund of your $8, sorry.
I believe that deception is a broader category that includes impersonation. Elon was was not all that clear that all categories of deception would result in a permanent banning.

Isn't even 60 considered an extremely high PE ratio? Google suggests that investors favor PE around 20 to 25. By this measure, TSLA should be around $75 today. I've always suspected it was vastly overpriced due to market over-exuberance.

NO! God help me Father, for I have had murderous thoughts against those who repeatedly say stupid things.

For a company that is growing at 3-5% per year, a 20 PE is acceptable. For a company that is growing at 50% per year, with no end in sight of that growth, a PE of 20 would be ludicrously low. Indeed most growth companies (the ones that are smaller and can grow at even 70% growth YoY), they have infinite PEs since they don't make any profit (negative earnings). Amazon was like that as an early public company, so was Apple, Microsoft, Google, etc. Investors invest in these companies, even though they are losing money every year because they expect them to grow really fast and eventually start making huge profits, like Apple.

When a company has basically taken over its market (like Apple and Microsoft), there is much less growth ahead of it and what then matters is how much profit it is making and thus PE is a good measure.

Tesla is still in hyper growth mode. It could very well be a bargain at a PE of 120 still.

Isn't even 60 considered an extremely high PE ratio? Google suggests that investors favor PE around 20 to 25. By this measure, TSLA should be around $75 today. I've always suspected it was vastly overpriced due to market over-exuberance. The S&P500 is down to 80% of its price from a year ago, while TSLA is down to half of what it was at that time. I fear that Elon has come unhinged and the over-enthusiastic market has gotten scared of him.

I am a total Tesla fanboy and my Model 3 is the best car on the road. But I fear that TSLA is finally approaching a realistic price. Sure wish I'd sold when it was $1,200 before the latest split.
20 = 60 / 3

Want to buy at 20 P/E? Wait for earnings to rise to $9/share and hope TSLA is still at $180 by then. Good luck.

Tesla Daily (Rob) estimated he needs between $4B and $6B.
Okay I was replying to someone who listened to the podcast/youtube video. In the video Ross said he looked over the loan documents and no bridge loan exist. He said Elon had 100% of the money so he didn't need any additional money to close the deal. The reason why Ross had access to the document is because Elon approached him for a buy in and he complied with a small amount. Ross claimed that currently Elon is selling to fund twitters operations which led to everyone thinking it makes no sense.

Okay I was replying to someone who listened to the podcast/youtube video. In the video Ross said he looked over the loan documents and no bridge loan exist. He said Elon had 100% of the money so he didn't need any additional money to close the deal. The reason why Ross had access to the document is because Elon approached him for a buy in and he complied with a small amount. Ross claimed that currently Elon is selling to fund twitters operations which led to everyone thinking it makes no sense.

Ross also admitted that he has no idea why Elon is/was selling in that podcast(assuming it's the one from today w Farzad, Alexandra, and Gary Black). He's as exasperated/exacerbated :) as the rest of us.

Last edited: