Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the things that struck me from the semi event was that they are extending the Tesla driving experience to semi drivers. It's not just the tech or the electric drivetrain. They are including autopilot, Tesla's amazing traction control and blending between efficiency and power. It's the whole experience. Semi drivers will prefer to drive a Tesla just as we do for more than just economic reasons. Safety, efficiency, tech, charge time and experience, and so much more.

This whole package is the problem traditional truck manufacturers face with Tesla. The semi is a giant Model Y with some add-ons. Tesla is already at scale with the semi.

Perhaps a missing part from the presentation was that the the retired packs from the semi are usable by the customer for stationary storage. A megawatt-hour pack is still valuable at 75% capacity.

Wasn't the 100 by year end a statement made in the Elon compensation trial?

(question mark included for questionable purposes)
Illustrative statement by Robyn Denholm during the trial, wouldn't read too much into it.

Also, Tesla delivered a Semi that they used to get the snacks there, doubt that was one of the pretty ones (which the cards were likely for).

It's not much, that is clear. The truck is obviously heavy. They get a 2k lb boost due to ev but the key point here is that these local semi loads are almost all light. Only a fraction of the loads go out over 20 tons, most are 10 tons or less. Snack foods just don't weigh much.

Raw potatoes, milk, fuel tankers (oh the irony), all can hit max weight (unprocessed bulk goods). The real king of overweight tickets is my own industry- forestry. We can drop 120k lbs in a standard log trailer if we aren't going to get penalized (about a 10k ticket). During the pandemic weight limits were waived and we sent simply massive loads out, heavy diesels just groaning. Can't wait for a Tesla Semi.
I'm really interested to see how this functions as a logging truck. The more advanced traction control of Semi could be a bit of a game changer. Given that logging trucks are often run on a mix of dirt and paved roads, often ice or snow covered, or muddy, the precise control of wheel slippage might be very helpful. A also wonder if powered steering wheels couldn't be added somewhat easily, given the simplicity of the drive motors vs a physical driveline. Would be really nice for the driver if that extra control and traction might mean that they could avoid chaining up quite so often, but perhaps that's too much to expect. Motors still don't defy physics.

Wasn't the "100 by year end" a statement made by a board member in the Elon compensation trial?

(question mark included for questionable purposes)
I didn’t follow that trial, but I’ll take your word for it. In which case -

Hey, @elasalle ! 100 trucks will be delivered by year end despite only two keycards being handed out. 😉

Illustrative statement by Robyn Denholm during the trial, wouldn't read too much into it.

Also, Tesla delivered a Semi that they used to get the snacks there, doubt that was one of the pretty ones (which the cards were likely for).

First off, wasn't the deposition statement made under oath? If so, would it be a stretch to read a little more into it?

Was this pretty one with Chester on the trailer the one bringing snacks?

1669987627981.png

I didn’t follow that trial, but I’ll take your word for it. In which case -

Hey, @elasalle ! 100 trucks will be delivered by year end despite only two keycards being handed out. 😉
Never mind @elasalle the 100 was aspirational. So we have no idea how many of the 100 ordered will be delivered by year end. If I had to venture a guess - at least 2.

Never mind @elasalle the 100 was aspirational. So we have no idea how many of the 100 ordered will be delivered by year end. If I had to venture a guess - at least 2.
Never mind again @elasalle ! The 100 aspirational was under oath so perhaps aspirational can be held to a higher standard than aspirational not under oath -

Summary:

We have no ****ing idea how many are contractually or otherwise going to be delivered by year end. We only know that for sure 2 have been delivered.

I'm really interested to see how this functions as a logging truck. The more advanced traction control of Semi could be a bit of a game changer. Given that logging trucks are often run on a mix of dirt and paved roads, often ice or snow covered, or muddy, the precise control of wheel slippage might be very helpful. A also wonder if powered steering wheels couldn't be added somewhat easily, given the simplicity of the drive motors vs a physical driveline. Would be really nice for the driver if that extra control and traction might mean that they could avoid chaining up quite so often, but perhaps that's too much to expect. Motors still don't defy physics.
As always with logging trucks, the weak points will be the tires. A casting would be a huge benefit because the other weak points are where frame members join together.

• Informative
Reactions: Nocturnal
Algo reaction to jobs report being a little strong?
Unemployment came in as expected at 3.7% but the one that has sent the pre-market down is non-farm payroll coming in at +263K versus the +200k expected. An increase in average hourly earnings also isn't helping. Since Powell is looking for the labour market to weaken this doesn't help the Fed.

Semi event was one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. That truck is beyond incredible. Why would anyone buy anything else?!?

So SP should drop at least 5% tomorrow.... /s
Down 2.3% so far in pre-market.

The market clearly no longer cares about things like revolutionary products, income, and growth. It's a complete joke.