Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have to be honest although the Semi impresses a great deal. It is awesome. Last nights presentation was a yawner. I am glad I didnt actually watch it. Was the 1st unveiling or delivery event that I have missed since the Model S delivery event. I have watched every other presentation. I just didnt want to see Elon speak, he has so turned me off. Still I was hoping for more. I would have loved to hear how many were delivered to Pepsi. I kinda get the feeling it was just 1 Semi. I mean if I was Pepsi I wouldnt want to take delivery of them until after January 1st when IRA starts and the Semi gets a $40K tax credit for Pepsi.
I would also like to see a Semicharger or 2 get installed at Gigatexas and they start using Tesla Semi's to take cars from factory to the train yard they are using to ship cars out. Want to see that this launch really did happen and isnt just publicity. Cant take Elon's word for things any longer.
I don't think Pepsi would allow themselves to be used for a Tesla stock pump.

1.7kWh/mile? Methinks that's very impressive!

"Current efficiency is 1.7kWh/mile, but there is a clear path to 1.6, possibly 1.5"

Elon notably did not specify at what speed 1.7 kWh/mile is achieved, but if he meant ~60 mph (100 kph) then the math checks out with estimates I had made a few months ago. I am glad to hear actual confirmation straight from Elon.

This assumes that Tesla has not improved the normal 0.005 coefficient of rolling resistance for trucks and trailers and that the aero drag coefficient is still 0.36 as Tesla has claimed since the 2017 reveal.

1669991938451.png

Have to be honest although the Semi impresses a great deal. It is awesome. Last nights presentation was a yawner. I am glad I didnt actually watch it. ...

You captured my feelings exactly. It's great that Tesla got one semi to a buyer, but until they can sell hundreds, the semi is a novelty, like the original roadster. The business news media response was equally muted.

The truck was impressive but I fully expected Tesla to leave the main questions of payload and cost unanswered. I kinda get it. I get the impression those are not completely set in stone.

Tesla is not selling 100 semis this year. I am not even certain the semis delivered to Pepsi were “sold”. My feeling is there is an evaluation period where Pepsi can choose to return them.

The main thing is to get the semi out into the real world with blue chip customers to evaluate. I think they will continue to do limited production runs for evaluation customers who will receive the product under NDA.

The real start of production is still a ways off

Last edited:
I’m not about to play the fool’s game of predicting what the SP will do today, but I believe this morning’s action is a harbinger of good things to come. The macros are horrible this morning, but TSLA is single-handedly trying to pull up the market.

Everyone here knows that a declining NASDAQ pulls TSLA down with it. But what will trigger a rising NASDAQ?

Certainly, inflation numbers need to come down to reduce the fear, but we also need some leadership on the greed side.

If Tesla posts big profits for Q4 (or even the market starts believing that’s going to happen), that could be the catalyst for greed this market needs.

From Reuters:
"Not very impressive - moving a cargo of chips (average weight per pack 52 grams) cannot in any way be said to be definitive proof of concept," said Oliver Dixon, senior analyst at consultancy Guidehouse.'

Reuters, CNBC and Bloomberg love sourcing quotes from Guidehouse, the same people who issue the chart every year showing Tesla losing in autonomy to everyone from GM to Charmin.

The truck was impressive but I fully expected Tesla to leave the main questions of payload and cost unanswered. I kinda get it. I get the impression those are not completely set in stone.

Tesla is not selling 100 semis this year. I am not even certain the semis delivered to Pepsi were “sold”. My feeling is there is an evaluation period where Pepsi can choose to return them.
If I had to guess Tesla is still trying to figure out how much these are worth to companies. So much of this will be based off state by state regulations on emissions. Take CA as an example, they have rules as to which trucks can move cargo in an out of the biggest ports based on emissions. You have to believe these companies will be willing to pay an absurd amount for these to move more cargo at less cost. Most of these routes are under 20 miles from port to rail or cargo yard. So these things could work 18 hours a day every day. Long haul trucking is what most people think of and very important but it's the last market Tesla needs to demolish IMO.

So much of the cargo in the US is moved by rail, then offloaded to trucks for the last distance to the warehouses...Tesla will dominate this market. ESG is currently a rats nest of marketing but companies are starting to spend $$$ on eliminating carbon in their supply chains. Given these are cheaper per mile than a traditional truck, I wonder if Tesla considers leasing them or making them a subscription rather than a Capex purchase. It would allow them more control one the product as well as a direct pipeline to replace the batteries and recycle them as material gets in short supply. Once FSD takes over, why would they give that over to the trucking companies and not just make it like uber or Lyft?

So much to ponder.....

Have to be honest although the Semi impresses a great deal. It is awesome. Last nights presentation was a yawner. I am glad I didnt actually watch it. Was the 1st unveiling or delivery event that I have missed since the Model S delivery event. I have watched every other presentation. I just didnt want to see Elon speak, he has so turned me off. Still I was hoping for more. I would have loved to hear how many were delivered to Pepsi. I kinda get the feeling it was just 1 Semi. I mean if I was Pepsi I wouldnt want to take delivery of them until after January 1st when IRA starts and the Semi gets a $40K tax credit for Pepsi.
I would also like to see a Semicharger or 2 get installed at Gigatexas and they start using Tesla Semi's to take cars from factory to the train yard they are using to ship cars out. Want to see that this launch really did happen and isnt just publicity. Cant take Elon's word for things any longer.
Model Y was also a yawner IIRC ... i am sure this is a multi year program for Pepsi and they are not going to delay deliveries for $40K ... yeah Telsa waited 5 years for this event and still smoke and mirrors ...makes 0 sense /s

you are letting your dissatisfaction with Elon cloud your judgment

Hmm - yeah, adding a question mark to a statement doesn’t make it a question; it makes it the wrong punctuation.

Alas, I can’t recall the specifics from the rumors and speculation at this point (on pretty much anything going on on the planet nowadays), but I’d imagine there’s some sort of contract between Tesla and PepsiCo related to how many trucks by a certain date. The ‘guinea pig’ for the product isn’t going to want to play too loose or too fast; they’re still conventional at heart so a risk like the Semi has to have some parameters to make them a bit more comfortable from a business standpoint.

Given the delay of the Semi, for various reasons (battery supply, more important fish to fry at any given moment, Jerome’s departure and a host of things we don’t know about), I’d imagine we’re cutting deadlines close, but all I could find was that Pepsi ordered 100 originally and that they announced in October that they’d begin to receive them in December. I could not find any mention by Pepsi that all 100 would be delivered before year end.
That's OK no rush, they just need the 2 to get going on their winter commercials and the Superbowl ;)

From Reuters:
"Not very impressive - moving a cargo of chips (average weight per pack 52 grams) cannot in any way be said to be definitive proof of concept," said Oliver Dixon, senior analyst at consultancy Guidehouse.'

Reuters, CNBC and Bloomberg love sourcing quotes from Guidehouse, the same people who issue the chart every year showing Tesla losing in autonomy to everyone from GM to Charmin.

Someone should ask Guidehouse which is heavier:

A kilogram of chips or a kilogram of steel.

From Reuters:

I show ZERO relevant experience from this guy.

Guidehouse aren't tech experts, they are management consultant schmoozer types from all that I can tell. Create PowerPoint, throw out some buzz words, and take the C level guys golfing to make them feel important. Done and done. Crapping on Tesla (not a customer) will make their other clients such as BMW, happy.

It's bizarre hearing the media still questioning whether customers will buy the Semi and Cybertruck. They're both sold out for years..
Not so bizarre. Quite logical actually; they receive zero advertising dollars from Tesla, and they don't like that one little bit. If Tesla succeeds, as it has and as it will, and legacy automakers continue to lose revenue and market share, their advertising will possibly also diminish. The media has one source of sustenance; advertising. Tesla is quite literally a threat to their existence.

The main thing is to get the semi out into the real world with blue chip customers to evaluate. I think they will continue to do limited production runs for evaluation customers who will receive the product under NDA.

The real start of production is still a ways off
I do believe they have been doing what you said for a while. I dont think that Pepsi havent had access to Semi until now. The Chargers have been installed at Pepsi locations for a long time.

For better or worse, Elon Musk is no Steve Jobs when it comes to product launch presentations. And as long as he insists on emceeing these, product launches will continue to underwhelm, from a presentation perspective.

But behind the presentation is incredible substance, for which Musk has no peers, living or deceased, including Jobs.