Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t understand the price decline today.
P/D are expected to be up a massive number this qtr.
what negative factor could be foreshadowing
this event. And It’s tesla specific, as the rest of the mkt is flying.

China COVID, production cuts, price cuts, soft demand,
twits ?
It's pretty straightforward to me: the short hedge funds are in total control of TSLA currently. Since November, there's been no significant buying action to counter all this short-selling and defend TSLA.

I'm a long-term holder of TSLA. I have Tesla stock because it is the foremost company operating in the sector we (as a species) need to be shifting towards - renewable energy products, infrastructure and efficient energy operations. Tesla has a been the golden child of this revolution, and the stock admittedly raced ahead of the company's actual size & revenues. Now, even though I see TSLA falling, falling and falling some more, I know this fall will eventually end, because people will see the PE ratio so low that they'll ask "why the f### aren't we investing in this company? Look at the fundamentals!!!" I still bought TSLA way lower than it is today... I started when it was $2.53 adjusted. I see no point selling it any time soon and I have been telling my friends to buy it now that it is "so low" 🤣 Also trying to find ways to raise extra money to buy it myself!!!

i have zero idea about short term but here is what happened in past:
2-12-2016 tesla bottomed at -35.5% off 40 week moving average, -36.5% in may 2019
currently-34.8% off 40 week moving average
maybe this time is different
Lol.. the 40 wk is a moving target as the name implies. It keeps coming down day in, day out, creating more downside "space".

Last edited:

twits ?
Elon selling /s of course

It's pretty straightforward to me: the short hedge funds are in total control of TSLA currently. Since November, there's been no significant buying action to counter all this short-selling and defend TSLA.

Exactly this. Until buying volume comes in to overcome the MM's we will likely keep trending downward for as long as the MM's can make it happen.

Chicken's ridiculous prediction of $140 is only a staggering 17% down from here.... 😮

The difference though is that today, there's a big macro level amount of data that's about to come in that will likely determine the general direction of the entire market for at least a quarter. I mean just look at today's trading. Macro's now in decent rally mode and TSLA can't move off it's lows at all. Unless the CPI number come in way colder than expected, the 166 low will break.

We should all pour a tall one for all those that are about to be margin called only to watch TSLA explode higher off of Q4 PD and/or earnings. I'm not fear mongering, fundamentals always win out and they will with TSLA but man the stock is trading like garbage in the short term. I think if you're on margin, 150 isn't even safe 🤷‍♂️

I can't even begin to imagine being forced to sell only for Tesla to post deliveries of 460-470k for Q4 on Jan 2nd........which i still believe is a legit possibility. Berlin/Austin being severely underestimated for production.

Fremont - 150k
Shanghai - 265k
Berlin - 40k
Austin - 30k
In transit from Q3 - 20k

Totals 505k.....take away 30-40k for in-transit. You're left with 465-475k in deliveries. No one out there is thinking this a remote possibility today. There's a possibility that Berlin/Austin are actually higher than those numbers I listed.
To add on to this comment, despite Tesla saying it was planning on ending the wave, so far at least, we have not seen any signs of Tesla doing that this quarter.

Still no reports of RoRo ships coming to dock with Shanghai to pick up exports. Berlin production is being set up so that every vehicle produce in the final two weeks of Dec will be sold since they are planning for deliveries at the factory (and given incentives to do so). Let's say Tesla does a few ships at the end of Dec for export, that's maybe 15-20k vehicles in transit. As mentioned earlier, Tesla China has actually drawn down their local inventory significantly in Nov.

If Tesla stays on its current course, they absolutely are trying to maximize deliveries in Q4. I don't see any other way to interpret the data that we do have.

This is the same thing that happened after the weekend when Elon reinstated Trump - TSLA took a massive dive on Monday and Tuesday down to 167 but then quickly rallied back to 200.

It is an easy narrative to sell for why the stock is performing so badly. Elon is perceived to be continuing to tank his personal brand to new depths, and investors (rightly or wrongly) are worried it is in turn impacting Tesla’s brand as well.

While official tesla short interest is nowhere near where it was in “the bad old days” - but of course the short interest report only captures a moment in time every 14 days - so entirely feasible that other posters here are right and it is big short players driving things on days like today.

Exactly this. Until buying volume comes in to overcome the MM's we will likely keep trending downward for as long as the MM's can make it happen.

Chicken's ridiculous prediction of $140 is only a staggering 17% down from here.... 😮
I beg to differ .
Chicken’s Ridiculous prediction of 140 is only a 140 character message from here and you know by whom.

twits ?
Triple-Witching OPEX this Friday, and although MP is 190 the first call-wall is at 165, Hedgies have been defending calls to the death recently, mostly ignoring puts - my theory there is that they're using the puts to accumulate without spiking the SP, but I'm guessing along with everyone else

1670879566842.png

Last edited:
Sucks seeing TSLA go down week after week but at some point the trend will reverse. Big money will not buy until they see a solid uptrend and there will be tons of time to buy once it does.
Buying on a downtrend is actually a bad strategy. No one knows but we can drop below $100. It's actually easier and safer to make money buying puts on every pop. One can also sell a lower strike put to maximize the profits.
I hope TSLA does not go below $100 cause that is when the real hurt comes in. Nothing is off the tables. GL to everyone.