Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe stale or uninteresting, but GM's Cruise is under investigation on the Basis of Hard Braking and stopping "becoming unexpected roadway obstacles." But this is the fun part, GM "desperately need to save lives." I can't help think about all the quotes coming that backfire on the naysayers against FSD.

"Drew Pusateri, a spokesman for Cruise.... said in an email that there’s “always a balance between healthy regulatory scrutiny and the innovation we desperately need to save lives.” He said the company has driven nearly 700,000 fully autonomous miles in an “extremely complex urban environment with zero life-threatening injuries or fatalities.”"

I agree. 150 will trigger stop losses and then we see 145. They are defending today, and probably positioning to profit for the drop next week.

Edit: QQQ rallying a little near the close. TSLA is not. Next week could be ☠️
Eh I'm in the camp that thinks with being at 150 here, another leg lower is incoming on Monday for a couple days. Mainly because they want to cause margin calls. I have to imagine a lot of leverage investors have 150 leveraged to where a close below 150 will get the dreaded call.

Have bit more funds available if that scenario happens to buy some more LEAPS. The rest of the funds I'm waiting till after P/D numbers come out.

Feels like we need some sort of catalyst to really make this a bottom and rally hard. Might have to wait until P/D numbers come out. Even if the board decides to start the buyback on Monday, I doubt it would be announced/public. Likely will have to wait till Q4 earnings to know if Tesla intitated a buyback and started actually buying.

Truck demand a little too hot for Ford? Raised prices another $4K, up 40% from initial offering. Claim it's rising material costs, likely part of it ;)

If you read the posts on the bird, over 375 million people have cancelled their Cybertruck reservations. So maybe that's why?
/s

Elon said "good prediction" to this tweet which is interesting on auto repossessions due to banks lenders are giving people double loans and expect then old one to default. So the original bank is left holding the bag while the dealer can make a sale.

To sum it all up, the bank parts of Ford/GM/legacy auto are on the hook...line and sinker

I'm way off with just 8 attempts at 150. :rolleyes:

1671222278620.png

Maybe stale or uninteresting, but GM's Cruise is under investigation on the Basis of Hard Braking and stopping "becoming unexpected roadway obstacles." But this is the fun part, GM "desperately need to save lives." I can't help think about all the quotes coming that backfire on the naysayers against FSD.

"Drew Pusateri, a spokesman for Cruise.... said in an email that there’s “always a balance between healthy regulatory scrutiny and the innovation we desperately need to save lives.” He said the company has driven nearly 700,000 fully autonomous miles in an “extremely complex urban environment with zero life-threatening injuries or fatalities.”"

What is it exactly that you think the naysayers against FSD will feel about this?

The NHTSA has had an ongoing investigation into Autopilot/FSD phantom braking for many months now . Phantom braking is a problem that plagues all ADAS to varying degrees depending on the form of implementation, and it's one of the reasons I'm a "generalized Level 4+ in the next year" naysayer. Doesn't matter if it's FSD, Cruise, Waymo, or whatever, robotaxis are a long ways off period.

Reactions: navguy12
I have friends who bought in the 300s and 200s before Elon dumped his shares on them. Young people in South Korea are investing their life savings in TSLA because they believe in the company. My uncle, who is near retirement age, bought TSLA in the 250s. I think you'll have a hard time finding gratitude there. I've been poor and I've been not so poor and let me tell you this: you wouldn't be criticizing us for criticizing him if it was you who lost a butt load of money picking the right company. That's the part that hurts the most. You do your homework and take the risk and the company delivers but somehow you're poorer than before and it's not because the market is irrational but because the CEO is dumping his shares like there's no tomorrow.

The definition of a a speculator is not someone who uses derivatives to take ownership in a company but one who is in it purely for financial gain. AFAIK, KoGuan Leo never sold TSLA or its derivatives for gains. He bought all the way down from 350 and is still holding with us. I could care less if he bought shares or calls as long as he doesn't flip them for profit. Maybe his risk management was inadequate but he's still in it with us and i find it disgusting that some posters here were cheering for him getting margin called.

I sympathise with those who bought shares in the 250s or 300s, especially if that was their first investment in Tesla, but in reality they haven't lost anything unless they sell below those levels. It is the responsibility of each individual investor to make prudent decisions when deciding where to invest their hard earned money. Anyone who's done their homework will understand that Tesla stock is very volatile and should know not to invest money they might need over the next several years. Anything over a shorter timeframe is just a gamble.

The market is being irrational at the moment. Nothing has changed fundamentally with the company. The CEO selling shares doesn't change anything fundamentally and this price action is just a short term reaction.....it's just noise....it doesn't change the long term trajectory of the company in any meaningful way.

Investing in a company such as Tesla should be considered a long-term investment over 5 to 10 years or more. Over a shorter time horizon the stock price can become detached from the company fundamentals and the market can stay irrational for longer than you might imagine. This is not news to those who were invested in TSLA between 2013 and 2019.

People who've invested in Tesla have still picked the right company. The current price action doesn't change that. Nobody knows how long the price can take to recover, but as long as the company continues to grow and the fundamentals continue to get better, the stock price will eventually reflect this.

Emotions are running high right now and during such times it's all too easy for people to react irrationally and make poor judgement calls if they're not careful.

A good investor needs to be able to separate the signal from the noise and make decisions based on whether the long term trajectory of the company has changed or not. I try to think of performance during individual quarters (or even individual years) as just data points on a graph and these can sometimes vary significantly from the long term trend....especially if there are extenuating circumstances affecting results in the short term.....and we've had plenty of extenuating circumstances over the last 2 years. If you have a good fundamental understanding of the company then you can make allowances for one-time or short-term effects and make a judgement on whether the long term trajectory has been significantly affected or not.

Nobody can predict the future trajectory exactly, but with Tesla I don't think it's necessary to do that anyway. The projected rate of growth over the next several years is so great that even if predictions are off by quite a bit, the compounded growth over time is still going to be huge and the value of Tesla as a company is still going to be much higher than it is now.

From my perspective the company fundamentals look stronger than ever and Tesla is positioned to continue growing at an unprecedented rate for many years to come. As such, I intend to continue to purchase shares whenever I can afford to do so (especially when I can get them at a discount).

That was a weekend sidetrip on his way to Germany I think. He also had 2 weekends with his boys in Wyoming over the past 3 years. So a few long weekends then? But that's hardy a vacation (which at this level and tenure he would be entitled to at least 4-6 weeks per year.
He should be encouraged taking vacations.
You actually think more clearly about life when you are not worried about work for a few days.

View attachment 885804

Now the million dollar question is how will this impact Tesla?
The competition are going? Even if finance isn't directly held by legacy car companies, it will affect them, their sales models and they won't be agile enough to avoid harm. Perhaps combined with other issues, it will be the end of some/many of them.

To sum it all up, the bank parts of Ford/GM/legacy auto are on the hook...line and sinker
The lenders are on the hook. The lenders who have been recently leasing ice cars and continue to do so will get burned more than traditional financing, because they are stuck with a car they put a residual value on, or their estimated value of the vehicle at lease end. With all leasing companies except one, the lessee has the right to buy the vehicle at the end of the lease. If the lender set a residual for example at $25k, then if the car at lease end is worth more, which almost never happens, then the customer can buy it at $25k. 99% of the time the leasing company which is usually underneath the OEM'S (ie Toyota Motor Credit) set a pie in the sky future value or residual to get the lease payments lower to move metal. Since the consumer is paying the difference between the sales price and the residual value, plus interest. Once the lease is over the leasing company usually takes the car to auction and they lose their a..... on them.
Of course all this is done in concert with the OEM'S giving kickbacks to the lenders.

Tesla leasing is the 1 exception I am aware of. Their lease contracts stipulate they are taking the car back for their inventory at lease end and the customer has no right to buy the vehicle. Why, likely for a robotaxi fleet, to make more profits on the reselling of those vehicles, or to keep people from doing 2 or 3 year leases with a residual value much lower than what people will pay for the car on trade including dealers, hence lease a Tesla for 2 years, then sell it for more than the residual value and walk away with more cash in their hand instead of Tesla's.

#Bullish for Tesla