Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dunno if this was posted before, but the numbers seem spectacular in China, so Elons and his CN managers move seeme brilliant in hindsight:

Yeah, I'm sure its just a coincidence that costs reduced a sudden 10% at the same time demand plummeted. Sure.
People always talk about this phenomena in a single direction.
Price is a function of SUPPLY and demand. Its very true that if demand falls, and supply is constant, you have to drop prices. Its ALSO true that is supply increases and demand remains the same, prices fall.

I really do think we are not thinking enough about the potential increase in supply (ie: production) by Tesla. That shutdown a few months ago for shanghai line upgrades was clearly done to seriously ramp up production. Tesla are very, very focused on increasing production as much as they can.

People only ever see this as falling demand, but a much, much more plausible explanation is increasing supply.

I'm very optimistic about Q1 production figures.

Dunno if this was posted before, but the numbers seem spectacular in China, so Elons and his CN managers move seeme brilliant in hindsight:
I assume today's drop is due to the low sales numbers in China. Shame the algos can't put 2 and 2 together here.

IDRA supply globally but that does not change the fact that a new product that is co-developed with an external partner would be available on the free market immediately. It would be bad business practice to have this being the case. I would imagine the 9000T press would make it as generally available product in time. I would agree that the use barriers for this product are substantial and unlikely to have generated a non-TESLA order in this time scale.
Actually they DO have multiple non-Tesla orders for the 6000 and at least a couple fo the 9000. That is absolutely NOT bad business practice. Tesla does not have the ability or inclination to restrict it's innovations as they have repeatedly said:
"No Patent Suit Against People Who Use Our Tech In Good Faith": Elon Musk.Feb 2, 2019

That does not mean that any of the GigaPresses can be easily adopted by anybody else. Many of us have posted the difficulties in heating, cooling, avoiding sticking, maintaining plasticity, avoiding cracks, eliminating special coatings and much much more.

The very positive part of all this technical advance that Tesla has is that by the time someone else has figured out how to apply any given Tesla technology they'll be off on newer and better ones.

I offer a tiny list of Tesla things that eventually has been being adopted by others:
-Li-ion batteries for cars;
-The BMS (in 2015 Tesla explained it all publicly in NHTSA hearings, nobody copied that until years later);
- The proprietary inconel alloy that allowed Ludicrous mode in 2015;
- OTA updates;
- active OTA monitoring of auto potential failures;
-the Octovalve
Those six are all fundamental to Tesla technological advantage. Every one could be copied and deployed without fear of conflict from Tesla. Even the most obvious and easy to copy, OTA updates and vehicle monitoring, are easy to copy and execute. OEM auto companies cannot even imagine how to really do those too because they do not allow continuous innovation.

Now think about how to actually deploy a GigaPress. That requires a highly integrated operating system. That requires several new technologies just to deploy.

Anybody who thinks Tesla tries to avoid revealing their technologies is simply not understanding Tesla pace of innovation, much less the Tesla vision.

Factually all this is why Tesla gets along so well in China. Tesla philosophy is consistent with "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" which is also the general view of China. Only people who think they're inferior depend on patent infringement issues, in the Tesla view.

Tesla filed for four new projects on January 9, according to filings with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation. The projects are filed separately because they will expand four different facilities, the filings show. Tesla registered the projects to “Cell 1,” “Drive Unit,” “Cathode,” and “Cell Test Lab.”

According to the Austin Business Review (paywalled), which initially spotted the filings, the projects will provide Tesla with 1.4 million additional square feet on-site at Gigafactory Texas, and construction could start as soon as the end of the month.

Tesla filed for four new projects on January 9, according to filings with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation. The projects are filed separately because they will expand four different facilities, the filings show. Tesla registered the projects to “Cell 1,” “Drive Unit,” “Cathode,” and “Cell Test Lab.”

According to the Austin Business Review (paywalled), which initially spotted the filings, the projects will provide Tesla with 1.4 million additional square feet on-site at Gigafactory Texas, and construction could start as soon as the end of the month.
"Busted growth story", right?

Interesting that in this clip Gene Munster discloses that they are NOT currently invested in TSLA because he got out when they first "blew through" a market cap of $400B. That was a long time ago! Lots of upside left on the table with that trigger. Not far off from where we are today actually. He's bullish on Tesla, but still on the sidelines....

Indeed, to me it feels like a pop-culture reference to the Highlander movie would be more suited to a vehicle with a single structural casting. Now that's further speculation, but I think Model 3/Y continue with f/r castings, as does CT, and that only leaves one other choice: "Model 2" (obviously not the real name) a.k.a. the Compact Car.

Cheers!
Food for thought....in an interest of minimum accidental disclosure, Internally referring to the "gen 3"/"model 2"/"compact car" as the "Model 3 Highlander" would be quite clever....

I doubt there could be any real progress on a gen 3 factory without us getting wind of it, there are too many eyeballs on Tesla for that to happen.
Definitely seems unlikely/ odd that they’ve managed to get a factory ready for this without someone noticing.

But the press release said “Asia” not China. Asia is a big place and puppet companies can hide discrete actions from companies like Tesla that don’t want to drive up real estate or attract attention to a location.

If you take the pop-culture reference to "Highlander" literally, then that would mean a single casting for the entire car underbody structure. That can be only "Model 2" (sic) or more properly, the "compact car".
Alternate theory that fits the Highlander name as well.

Highlander is designed to get the Model 3 and the Model Y on the same underbody so they can both be built with the same Gigacastings And same structural battery.

Not sure if that would work or not, but it fits the “Highlander” theory as well as the idea they are switching M3 to a single casting.

Bigger point is to be cautious trying to make inferences from sparse data. “Highlander” is vague enough to mean a lot of things.