Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No additional information, but I believe they needed access to the car and it's ethernet port. I don't recall anyone doing a remote hack.
Well, if verifiable, that is certainly additional information. I believe the infotainment system was listed as a JIT compromise which could certainly be done remotely (malicious content). I'm less concerned about that because it is just the infotainment system.

I glanced over the twitter feed of the guys who tried going after the security system and nothing jumped out at me. They had hardware recovered from a wrecked Tesla that they were using to test against. Its entirely possible that whatever they thought they found was an artifact from an old version and fixed in a subsequent update.

(Old news warning) Following an actual hack I think Tesla upped their security game.

Car Hacking Research: Remote Attack Tesla Motors

Since #45 said it, it must be nonsense. But noise such as that from nearby wind mills is not only a distraction, it can raise your blood pressure (for a suitable definition of 'nearby').
I'm fine with saying "they can be a little noisy" while the competition (coal plants) literally "kill people". Nobody lives near wind turbines in the US at least.
Instead of advertising, I would like to see leases. I've had 2 collegues who were in the market, liked TSLA, but didn't want to buy because of no lease and high APR for purchases. (I bought my SUV with like 0% interest ...)
I would have loved a lease as I use my car partially for business. Much better tax treatment for a small business.

Reactions: neroden and oneday
I have to assume that the $285 labor&misc charge includes the $200 deductible for the ESA to cover the HVIL wire repair... Otherwise the labor charge is way too high. (Unless they don't cover corrosion under the ESA...)

Don't forget, my numbers are all Canadian dollars (CAD), not USD.
Our currency is trying to out-inflate the former Italian Lira ;)

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike
Ford CEO Jim Hackett says company 'overestimated' autonomous vehicles

Ford CEO Jim Hackett says company 'overestimated' autonomous vehicles
Realization comes after $4 billion investment

4 Bill down the drain, no wander Tesla is worth roughly the same amount as Ford.

If you keep up with autonomy you know that the whole geo-fenced/heavily mapped approach is what basically everyone other than Tesla is doing. As the head of (IIRC) Toyota research said, autonomy is really hard. And the way they are approaching results in an all-or-nothing benefit. I don't see Waymo's "autonomous" service that requires a human driver as a benefit from autonomy.

Of course, none of them have what Tesla does. Namely, a fleet of instrumented vehicles that can collect the data set necessary (though not necessarily sufficient) for doing autonomy.

Disclaimer: I don't think Tesla is going to be releasing true autonomy in the foreseeable future, but another advantage of their fleet is the ability to realize incremental gains.

As to Tesla vs Ford evaluation -- one is a growth company, the other is struggling to survive. Tesla is entering new markets while Ford is exiting them. Not even remotely comparable.

On these news I scraped the bottom of the barrel for some dry powder and made a small, opportunistic limit order.

I was surprised to see that it was filled immediately - until I realized that I had entered the limit while still thinking in US dollars, while my broker uses Euro...

Let that be a lesson to the Europeans here.

Btw, I am currently down 5€ on my trade, so I would consider that lesson a bargain.

Ha - it's like when I'm buying options and I'm always thinking of the cost rather than the bid price, so start typing the limit in 100's rather than 1's...

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
OT
As an aside, the sound of windmills lowers my blood pressure. It also makes me slightly more proud to be a human.

Right, I can imagine that from the small distance required to not be able to distinguish each blade's noise, then it just becomes white noise.

Btw, auto workers may very well suffer health effects from noise in the production,
The effects of occupational noise on blood pressure and heart rate of workers in an automotive parts industry

One more advantage with robots...

OT
As an aside, the sound of windmills lowers my blood pressure. It also makes me slightly more proud to be a human.

I've been under them in 3 different locations from Ca to AZ and can attest to their rhythmic pattern of swooshing its way through the wind is a nice way to sleep..
IMG_8654.jpg

It’s not panicked. I’m numb to these drops at this point. But S/X numbers are concerning. I’ve seen many inventory cars reduced in price by 20-40%. Saw a P100D with 50 miles on it for $86k. That’s ludicrous. The only plausible explanation would be a refresh is coming so they are clearing out inventory and making buyers feel good about their purchase when the refresh comes since they got a good deal

That is for a 2018 inventory car. 2019 P100D with 21 inch wheels is $113k + taxes/fees. A 30K discount for a one year old inventory car with 2K miles is to be expected. Who would buy a one year old car for the price of a 2019? FYI, a 2019 Performance Model S is only $5k cheaper than it was in 2015 when I bought mine, despite what is certainly less expensive to manufacture. So margins are as good or better today than they were 4 years ago.

I really hope they have some good stuff to show on the 19th. We could use a little bit of that Waymo valuation.
Never before have I received such a glowing compliment! I shall now inundate you with a crap ton of love button pushes - cause that’s what you were going for, right? So clever, you.
Phrasing!