Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We might have an European substitude for graphite, a tree-based lignin.Stora Enso is already developing, piloting and marketing pdoduction of it:

"The benefits: faster charge rates, European supply chain, sustainable, fossil-free origin"​

It would be cooler if this product was derived from the trees that grow around GigaBerlin. :cool:

Seriously. How does your car stop without you noticing? That's not something which happens in a hurry.

Heck, when my Model Y phantom brakes even a little bit in standard Autopilot I always reactively press the accelerator to override it (as long as no one is braking in front of me). How does a driver just let his Tesla come to a complete stop in the middle of the highway like that?

Seems very fishy to me... 🤔

Now that automakers have all released 2022 numbers, Farzad made this concise breakdown of what we all see happening to the industry and discuss regularly. I feel like this is a good video to share with haters non-believers. Fairly conservative and emotion free analysis. With charts 👍.

TLDW; in 2030 if current market growth rate trends continue, China and Tesla will share 75% EV market share and everyone else will be fighting for the scraps.

Seriously. How does your car stop without you noticing? That's not something which happens in a hurry.

That would be the height of tragic irony.

Tesla is likely keeping quiet because there is going to be big litigation.
Wait so the dope was most likely asleep?

That reminds of the spike of threads complaining about defeat devices not working anymore.

It is apparently from paper mill waste which is pretty cool :cool:

And can allow faster charging which is also cool :cool:
Maybe those trees at GigaB would work. They were grown for making cardboard, weren't they?

I love the irony of contemplating the mere possibility that the Greenies might now approach Tesla to force them to harvest the trees for the environment.

Agreed. This accident occurred on November 24, the exact same day that Tesla implemented defeat-device detection in their latest firmware.

So if he was someone who slapped a weight on his wheel and took a nap regularly, this would have been the first time his vehicle would detect that, pull over, and put on the hazards.
Is the system actually designed to pull over and turn on the flashers in this case?

I think that would not be a good scenario as it would be the vehicle itself executing a “minimum risk maneuver” by pulling into the passing lane and slowing to a stop, which seems like a maximum risk maneuver. That’s the type of thing that I could see the NHTSA taking swift and not good action to address.

Otherwise I would expect them to just look at the driver attentiveness processes and human machine interface — they don’t expect Autopilot to work flawlessly, they expect the driver to always be attentive and ready to take over when a Level 2 system is operating.

Reactions: navguy12
Investigation needed. I think the driver there fell asleep and the car came to a complete stop with the hazard light. The guy doesn't even know his car is completely stopped or else he would have pressed the accelerator because the car behind him didn't hit him.

The car behind DID hit him- you can see the hit clearly at the 8 second mark of the video.

Also- the hazards would come on BEFORE the car stopped- in fact they come on as soon as the car begins to slow- if it were doing it because the driver was asleep and not providing wheel feedback (see the owners manual where it says this)

So neither part of your theory appears supported by the video.

It could well be nothing automated was involved, but he was hit, and only a signal turn signal was on as it began to slow.

EDIT- Relevant bit from Model S owners manual attached to save debate about how it works

autosteerpullover.png

Yeah a minimum risk maneuver as defined In UN regulation r157e would occur in the event of catastrophic system failure or lack of driver feedback and would involve throwing on the hazards before very gradually slowing to a stop while staying in the current lane.

I don’t think the system was pulling into the passing lane to stop because the driver isn’t responding, that would not be a good thing, but safe disengagement maneuvers will be required in the future for Level 3+ systems. And it can be necessary for a range of reasons, not the least of which is medical emergencies while the system is engaged. If that happens and the driver loses the ability to respond, because say they lose consciousness, an autonomous vehicle needs to be able to stop in a way that minimizes risks.

Yeah a minimum risk maneuver as defined In UN regulation r157e would occur in the event of catastrophic system failure or lack of driver feedback and would involve throwing on the hazards before very gradually slowing to a stop while staying in the current lane.

I don’t think the system was pulling into the passing lane to stop because the driver isn’t responding, that would not be a good thing, but safe disengagement maneuvers will be required in the future for Level 3+ systems. And it can be necessary for a range of reasons, not the least of which is medical emergencies while the system is engaged. If that happens and the driver loses the ability to respond, because say they lose consciousness, an autonomous vehicle needs to be able to stop in a way that minimizes risks.

what if the weighted defeat device pulled the wheel to the left as soon as Autopilot shut off?

FYI - a negative news story which might be a drag tomorrow.

Video footage of Tesla FSD failing miserably (changing lanes and braking in a clear multi lane tunnel) and causing a 9 car nose-to-tail.

Usually these story start the same way.. blaming FSD. Eventually the story evolves and reality is much more nuanced. The story has been told, however, and the follow-up never reaches the headlines.

Edmunds demonstrates beyond a doubt who they are in the pool with.

View attachment 894352

They know the truth and try to proactively suppress it.

View attachment 894353

But the post is of course pounded by replies saying exactly that.

I guess Edmunds has to work a little harder to earn a buck from GM now.

Did you say "in the pool"? Instructions unclear. ;)

"Californians are so flashy with their in-pool Teslas"

1673411652940.png

Last edited:
This sounds like a wicked development, I would just caution that a brand new technology will likely take years to scale

I agree. But they have been producing lignin since 2015. They also have working pilot factory for a battery grade lignin here in Finlnd. And they announced partnershup with Swedish upcoming battery factory Northwolt last summer. I just hoping Tesla would join this development too.

“Pasadena police are investigating the crash, but officials believe the driver of the Tesla accidentally pressed on the gas instead of the brake pedal, plowing through a retaining wall and winding up in the swimming pool.”
Dumb journalists/police. Can't press on a pedal that doesn't even exist in a Tesla. More FUD/lies.
The best gas pedal is no gas pedal...