Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While it may be possible to be fully autonomous in 3 years, I'm skeptical that it will be legal everywhere and that people will feel comfortable riding in one. I think there would have to be a person in the car even if they did virtually nothing but be a co-pilot ready to take over just in case. Even so, knowing you get a ride in a Tesla will be a big appeal to many people.

- Autopilot is now standard, but the cost of the vehicles is only going up by $2000 instead of the $3000 cost of the autopilot upgrade. a combination upsell / discount move. it makes sense since every car has this hardware anyway, and it's such a huge part of the Tesla experience. (does this mean the $35k Model 3 is gone for good? RIP, you were so young...)

- Leasing, finally! I've never leased a car. How big of a deal-breaker is it to not have the option to buy at the end?

- That comment buried in the leasing section about the Tesla Ride-Hailing Network might be the biggest needle-mover in this letter. Another ace up Tesla's sleeve.

- They are STRONGLY trying to upsell people from the Standard to Standard+. Making people do physical work to get the Standard (must visit a store or call them on some arcane device called a "telephone"), and then once they do, give them the temptation of knowing they're REALLY driving a Standard+, and need only visit the website to upgrade it at any time! This is a great financial move. i very much doubt there's any appreciable difference in cost to manufacture those two variants. Combining them into one physical product further reduces costs of both, while most likely increasing the eventual number of Standard+ sales (since anyone who buys the Standard can upgrade at any time.

- Model 3 LR RWD is also going "off-menu". What's the reason for this one? is it also a low-margin offering? I love Tesla, but I'm not buying their stated reason of "simplifying our website", haha.

overall, really cool news and stuff to be excited for, in my opinion.

- Autopilot is now standard, but the cost of the vehicles is only going up by $2000 instead of the $3000 cost of the autopilot upgrade. a combination upsell / discount move. it makes sense since every car has this hardware anyway, and it's such a huge part of the Tesla experience. (does this mean the $35k Model 3 is gone for good? RIP, you were so young...)

- Leasing, finally! I've never leased a car. How big of a deal-breaker is it to not have the option to buy at the end?

- That comment buried in the leasing section about the Tesla Ride-Hailing Network might be the biggest needle-mover in this letter. Another ace up Tesla's sleeve.

- They are STRONGLY trying to upsell people from the Standard to Standard+. Making people do physical work to get the Standard (must visit a store or call them on some arcane device called a "telephone"), and then once they do, give them the temptation of knowing they're REALLY driving a Standard+, and need only visit the website to upgrade it at any time! This is a great financial move. i very much doubt there's any appreciable difference in cost to manufacture those two variants. Combining them into one physical product further reduces costs of both, while most likely increasing the eventual number of Standard+ sales (since anyone who buys the Standard can upgrade at any time.

- Model 3 LR RWD is also going "off-menu". What's the reason for this one? is it also a low-margin offering? I love Tesla, but I'm not buying their stated reason of "simplifying our website", haha.

overall, really cool news and stuff to be excited for, in my opinion.

Yeah long range RWD is the best option for a lot of people. That one is another classic Tesla head scratcher.

Not gone, just de-emphasized:

"As a result, Model 3 Standard will now be a software-limited version of the Standard Plus, and we are taking it off the online ordering menu, which just means that to get it, customers will need to call us or visit any one of the several hundred Tesla stores. Deliveries of Model 3 Standard will begin this weekend."​

Makes sense, since SR+ orders have a 85%+ take rate.

That's one of the main perks of leasing: getting a new car every 2-3 years, while the monthly payments are mostly constant - and not having to bother with the "old" car at the end.

IIRC ~80% of BMW's North American sales are leased?

• Informative
Reactions: homer214

"As a result, Model 3 Standard will now be a software-limited version of the Standard Plus, and we are taking it off the online ordering menu, which just means that to get it, customers will need to call us or visit any one of the several hundred Tesla stores. Deliveries of Model 3 Standard will begin this weekend."​

but according to the letter, you can't get their cars without Autopilot anymore. Doesn't that raise the base price?

I have lost count of Model 3's pricing.

At least now it's easier to remember.

SR+ 39500
AWD 49500
P3D 59500

Just checked, before this update, pricing was as follows
SR+ 37500
AWD 48500
P3D 59500

With $3000 Autopilot included, 2000+ change for SR+, 1000 change for AWD and 0 for Performance.

I don't think it's necessarily handing out money from Tesla. Now that Autopilot is standard, FSD take rate will see a substantial increase, which cost $5000 and $7000 after delivery.

For Tesla, what's lost on Autopilot is recovered from FSD.
But for customers, it seems the whole package gets cheaper.

Last edited:

So the $35k gets free autopilot now or it is actually a $37k car?