Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with this sentiment. I'm glad, @nativewolf , that you found an EV truck that met your needs. Tesla's mission is to help move the world to sustainable-energy based transportation. Elon has stated that one of Tesla's goals was to spur other manufacturers on to help achieve this goal.

The F150 Lightning isn't perfect, it's build engineering is questionable, it's efficiency isn't what it could be, it's charge times could be better, etc... but you know what?

It also doesn't burn gas.

I hope it's incredibly popular and Ford sells a ton of em, forcing them to scale up and aim higher for the next model. Seems like we should be happy that a fellow forum member found a relatively new EV solution for an admittedly demanding role....
Yup. 100%

My Father in law also bought the Lightning, only 3 months after going off about how EV's are too expensive and not useful and other nonsense. But as a truck guy/former farmer, the Lightning (and hopefully the example of his two Tesla fanatic sons-in-law) was an offering he was willing to try (he viewed Teslas as rich people toys, though my BiL can't stop talking about the financial benefits of Tesla, so maybe that sunk in after a while).

He would never buy a CT because he's sensitive to others' opinions and 'the right look', so I think variety is important for EV adoption... And honestly, the more EV's on the road, the more people start realizing it's attainable, and those that research will see the benefits of TSLA over the rest, in time...

And BTW, Ford is waaaay ahead of Tesla when it comes to pulling energy out of the battery. Many, many stories abound of people running their homes from an F150 Lightning during an extended power outage. Heck, even a Rivian has like 10x the power output of any Tesla. Elon completely missed the point of being able to pull power from an EV. He keeps talking as if V2G if the only use case. It is not. Cybertruck is rumored to finally match the F150 capabilities. But what about the rest of the lineup???

No sooner than I write this do I find out that Ford gives Lightning owners a portable charger that can plug into a 120V receptacle or a Nema 14-50. But there is no ability to reduce amperage either in the truck or on the portable charger. So you can’t use a dog bone adapter to plug into a dryer receptacle for instance. Or rather you can, and people have, much to their danger. Oy vey.

Last edited:
I can not say if this is possible. I can imagine that the Model 3 Highland uses the same structural pack as the Model Y as shown below in the picture of a Munro teardown (with some adaptions for the seats etc.) and [Edit: the pack] is assembled on the same production line.

View attachment 896448

There can be only one. LOL

Lots of mileage out of this Highlander reference.
Here a picture as a basis for a further analyis:

1673893983089.png

If the same one-piece casting can be used for Model 3 and Model Y, it probably could be used for a hatchback, a van etc.

The only thing that’s kinda right is aging models. I think the model S is a beautiful classy car but it and the x are definitely showing their styling age.

Just sayin.
Tesla ran through all the early adopters at those prices. Still, they’re selling an $80;000 car for $95,000, so they’re doing all right. I bought my S for $80,000 in 2019 before add ones and I doubt if they lost money on it.

To those worried about surveys showing growing disapproval of Tesla and Elon in one demographic, a bit of historic perspective may offer some consolation.
One other auto company later known for the dieselgate scandal literally used slave laborers from Auswitch for the nazi war machine.

I’d submit that however grave Elon’s ill advised actions have been, they don’t quite rise to that level.

“Volkswagen sales in the United States were initially slower than in other parts of the world, due to the car’s historic Nazi connections as well as its small size and unusual rounded shape. In 1959, the advertising agency Doyle Dane Bernbach launched a landmark campaign, dubbing the car the “Beetle” and spinning its diminutive size as a distinct advantage to consumers. Over the next several years, VW became the top-selling auto import in the United States”

TMIO Tesla - today:

"Tesla’s CHECKMATE Move is WRECKING the Car Industry"

The REAL 4D chess move here is to get the entire world to think Tesla actually "cut" prices by selling you a car that's 8% more expensive than it was 2 years ago while the Honda Civic during the last 2 years only increased they MSRP by 1%, Lexus RX by 3.2%, and the Corolla by 5%.

To those worried about surveys showing growing disapproval of Tesla and Elon in one demographic, a bit of historic perspective may offer some consolation.
One other auto company later known for the dieselgate scandal literally used slave laborers from Auswitch for the nazi war machine.

I’d submit that however grave Elon’s ill advised actions have been, they don’t quite rise to that level.

“Volkswagen sales in the United States were initially slower than in other parts of the world, due to the car’s historic Nazi connections as well as its small size and unusual rounded shape. In 1959, the advertising agency Doyle Dane Bernbach launched a landmark campaign, dubbing the car the “Beetle” and spinning its diminutive size as a distinct advantage to consumers. Over the next several years, VW became the top-selling auto import in the United States”

I certainly hope it doesn't take Tesla 15 years to rehabilitate it's image amongst those who have been recently alienated. I really don't know what to expect at this point. VW never did gain a real degree of popularity amongst the generation that fought in WW2 on the allied side. They had to wait for the next generation to come of age.

On the flipside, both Americans and Germans love Coca Cola, regardless. 😂

I don't see any reason Tesla can't make a 4680 battery pack for the SR, there are 3 chemistries which could work, I don't see a reason to rule any chemistry out.

A pack made of 4680 cells made by Tesla works for the IRA.

The interesting question is whether the Model 3 Highland has a 4680 structural pack.
It’s just time.

If Tesla needs all of their current 4680 capacity for Cybertruck or Model Y then maybe it makes more sense to stick with LFP.

So far the supply of 4680 cells seems limited so maybe it’s gotta wait a bit.

This example of ... something? has come up a lot lately for reasons that are hard to understand.
So you’re saying in 80 years this will all be smoothed over? OK, got it.

Another neat thing ....outlets everywhere. awesomen for someone that works. Diesel tank uses an ac pump which is more powerful than the pump wired into the old truck wiring harness. Outlets lock out or not if truck is off- small stuff like that makes me realize they had real workers giving input.

I do worry that the CT might lack that insight. Just creating Highway princesses. Already I am worried about bed height and tailgate height.
If you’re worried about CT not having this stuff, why not do some basic research?

It will have 110V and 220V outlets as well as compressed air. Here is an example search query for you: “will the Cybertruck have electricity outlets?” Or maybe watch the reveal event?

1673898680910.png

With the suspension fully lowered the bed and tailgate will actually be more accessible than an F-150 except for the foremost foot of the sail buttresses. Here’s an illustration from the Connecting the Dots Youtube channel.

1673897871376.png

Are you seriously concerned the CT will be a highway princess? Tough stainless steel skin, 16-inch maximum ground clearance, 35 deg approach, 28 deg departure, crazy high torsional rigidity, camp mode, big tires, underbelly that’s just a flat metal sheet of armor, independent adaptive suspension for each wheel, 9-inch suspension travel, climate-controlled vault you can sleep in, low center of mass and thus low rollover risk…I’m pretty sure CT is further from being a highway princess than any other truck that will be sold in 2023, but I live in the city and am not a real worker so maybe there’s something I’m misunderstanding. What off-road capability do you think it might be lacking?

Last edited:
More EVs, the better. One ICE displaced. Hope you and many others in many industries find more ways to switch until ICE is truly niche.

I hope that with competition over capabilities, EVs become overwhelmingly the best choice in most situations.
EVs need to seriously improve its towing capacity before it becomes truly mainstream, I’ve seen some things on YouTube where the Lightning range falls off a cliff once it starts towing things, that’s not going to win over the truck fans, I’ve got mates here in Oz that won’t go near an EV until it matches the range and towing capacity of their current trucks..

EVs need to seriously improve its towing capacity before it becomes truly mainstream, I’ve seen some things on YouTube where the Lightning range falls off a cliff once it starts towing things, that’s not going to win over the truck fans, I’ve got mates here in Oz that won’t go near an EV until it matches the range and towing capacity of their current trucks..
Most people, at least in the US, don't ever tow with their trucks. Towing a bulky (lots of drag) load will cut EV range by about 50% in total (including standard losses) and that's a downside.

People will have to decide if stopping extra on that twice a year long haul trip is worth saving $5k a year in fuel or not. For many commercial applications, towing is just done locally from jobsite to lumber yard and back for example so that range loss won't matter so much.

Those with legitimate needs to haul long distances frequently they will have to wait a while for a real EV solution.

Most people, at least in the US, don't ever tow with their trucks. Towing a bulky (lots of drag) load will cut EV range by about 50% in total (including standard losses) and that's a downside.

People will have to decide if stopping extra on that twice a year long haul trip is worth saving $5k a year in fuel or not. For many commercial applications, towing is just done locally from jobsite to lumber yard and back for example so that range loss won't matter so much.

Those with legitimate needs to haul long distances frequently they will have to wait a while for a real EV solution.
Or if people do tow something big for a long distance, it’s usually a boat or a camper and the destination is a campground with on-site electricity hookups. Stay overnight and charge back up just like at home. Electric truck demand will probably grow as more people learn about this option.

I agree most people don’t tow, but it’s a hot topic down here, it needs to improve before you can really sell it to people that it’s a better alternative to there ICE truck, we also have tradesmen that use trucks for work, they need to carry a lot of things from job to job, they don’t have time in the day to stop and charge for an hour or so, look I know the tech will improve no doubt, but right now it’s nowhere near it..